Was told this is pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Whichever tree the pics of the leaves came from is tamarack/larch. The leave grow almost directly off the stem. The leaves will yellow and fall in the winter giving the appearance that it's dead. Look like there's another specie in there which appears to be white or grand fir.
Larch is very good wood. White fir has about 30 minutes between seasoned and rotten. Keep it out of the weather and it will dry just fine and be ready for use by next season. 1 step up from balsa wood but hey, it's free.
http://treebrowser.org/index.cfm?controller=final&action=details&key=450&sortby=CommonName

Looks like Pine to me.
And the Hemlock pics look like Hemlock.
Pine bark can be different textures on the trunk and limbs.
Both Pine and Hemlock have lots of sap, and usually lots of limbs.

Easy splitting if you can get a piece without a limb.

Pic #2 shows the big growth rings indicative of Pine.

I think you were told right. The pine is White Pine. The Hemlock is hemlock. Keep in mind I am on the east coast so I don't see pacific NW trees very often.

It all looks like pine or fur or at least softwood. Pine and cherry bark can occasionally be a little similar, but there's deff no cherry in there. Cherry is not pitchy at all.

Yeah, if it's pitchy, I can't imagine cherry.