Watch who you hire to do chimney work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We are basically a beach town. Prices for high quality work are insane and there is a waiting list to get it done. We will be getting estimates on redoing 2 bathrooms and a laundry room it will involve tearing out walls. I don’t think we will it done for under 60k. Im sure this guy would be more than happy to bid on this job and do similar work.

We are basically a beach town. Prices for high quality work are insane and there is a waiting list to get it done. We will be getting estimates on redoing 2 bathrooms and a laundry room it will involve tearing out walls. I don’t think we will it done for under 60k. Im sure this guy would be more than happy to bid on this job and do similar work.
That doesn't explain the absurdly low price for the crown. It just doesn't make sense

Yeah we have some we do twice a year also. And they usually don't need it. But even twice a year isn't 600

In addition to the cleaning, they get to have experienced eyes on their system twice a year. That is worth it to them and their peace of mind Im thinking.

Twice a year cleaning around here would be around $300.

600 is crazy for a cleaning and 300 is crazy low for a crown
So I went back to the quote and he said..., “we use a product to seal the cracks”.

So there you go not a recrown but a product...

upload_2019-5-14_14-57-51.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a person who presumably has English for a first language. They are not able to string together a paragraph that looks like it was written by an English speaker, or ask someone who does speak English to write it for them.

If you see an ad like that, ask yourself a couple questions:

How do they read the training for their trade? How do they read the documentation for their tools? How do they read the specifications for their materials? How do they communicate with other members of their trade and stay current?

Do they really not know one single English speaker who could have drafted an ad for them? Why aren't they on speaking terms with at least one other person?

Perhaps most importantly: Do I want someone who can't speak their own native language at a grade school level to work on my house?

Doesn't convey a message of someone that pays attention to details. Periods apparently are optional.

There are people that do the best work imaginable but qualify as functionally illiterate. Then there are those that are the smoothest talkers but are out to rip you off. Sometimes it's tough to judge who is going to give you a good job.

Reactions: CenterTree
There are people that do the best work imaginable but qualify as functionally illiterate. Then there are those that are the smoothest talkers but are out to rip you off. Sometimes it's tough to judge who is going to give you a good job.
Yes but in this line of work you need to be able to read and understand codes manufacturers instructions etc. If you can't do that doing the job properly will be next to impossible.

All your bases are belong to us.

Lol, spot on.

Sometimes reading manufacturer's instructions, I feel like I might be better off if I just looked at the pictures or figured it out myself. A lot of bad translations out there that leave you scratching your head.