Weeping beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wilson1970

Nov 23, 2020
Netherlands
We have a large, old weeping beech in our front yard. See attached pictures. Last night a very large branch fell from the crown of the beech. The branch is very rotten and now I wonder if anyone can give any advice on how to handle this further
Or if I can consider the tree as lost?

Hopefully anyone can tell us what to do.

IMG_5700.jpeg DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0024.JPG DSC_0014.JPG

I would have an arborist out to give an estimate on taking it down. They'll tell you if they think it should come down, or will live well and just needs pruning. When getting bids from contractors, it is perfectly fine to see yourself as a contractor/bidder, and do the work yourself on a given project after getting estimates.

I always am glad to give estimates in my line of work -- it's understood that bidding on more jobs results in more work, and lots of bids go elsewhere.

Beech in yards doesn't tend to be long-lived. Seems to go 60-80 years, before the top snaps or something.

I'll bet there's a lot more issue with it than just the branch that fell down, which is a shame because that's a very cool looking tree.

not helpful, but 'Weeping Beech' is exactly what I was called when I broke a chainsaw once. Good luck and I hope it resolves without issue/damage.

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley