Wet Snow And High Winds Headed For The Mid-Atlantic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mad about the snow. Or lack thereof. North of me one hour they are getting 6-12" regularly. We are on our second winter with no snow.

I figured you got this stuff when it was on the way up here. They just admitted that they blew it on the rain forecast. It started almost immediately as snow upping the guess to over a foot of this wet stuff. Everything covered here already and a whole day of it to go it looks like.

Wish you had it instead of us.

They keep saying theses storms are going out to sea or south of us, then they say, oh the projections are changing. Our week without storms become a storm with snow showers about every day. Now we are told we will have 3-5 in of wet stuff. It is winter and we are in Maine. Snow happens. But I must admit, enough already, I am ready for spring.

Looks like the makings of power outages headed this way with the combination in the thread title. Starting tomorrow night into Wednesday.
And on the west coast. 10 inches of snow at our lower elevation and up around Tahoe 3 feet in the next 24 hours...hanging on tight.

I vividly remember March 13, 1994. Snowed in with my family on my 21st birthday! :eek:
My neighbor, who was a few years older, took me on his 4 wheeler to the only thing open in Penndel, PA, The Irish Rover, famous if you ever lived around there, good ol' Irish bar. Drank myself stupid, but it was worth it :)

Happy Birthday - HM & Scotty - I'll be 42 on the 13th. I drove around in the aftermath of that 94 storm in a beat up mustang with studded snow tires on the back, cinderblocks in the trunk,delivering pizzas in a hilly suburb of Pittsburgh. It was a blast.Thanks for the memory:)

We already got close to 6 inches...gonna finish watching the late showing of Conan and plow the driveway. Lil' 4 wheeler can't do a foot and a half at a time - tires on this toy are bald!

Reactions: ScotO
Power is out here. 4 inches of heavy heavy snow. Drove out and checked the lines on the farm. They are ok. Limbs are snapping constantly In the yard. A big black gum limb has come down in the yard.

E6AC6BDC-6327-4678-A3AF-456F3C1042A8-9286-000002BE8E994F85_zps2bd1b0e0.jpg

It's a winter wonderland.

4FAB5A3E-D89A-4981-A98E-5BA1ED151E05-9286-000002BE9E902979_zps890e60dd.jpg

That isn't normal?

Have had it snow in May. I don't usually pull off the studded tires till the end of April.

Yeah yeah, I lived in the mountains of Colorado for 8 years and it snowed July 4th one year. Hans Peak got 8 inches. Apples and oranges brother.

Wish you had it instead of us.

Wondering how y'all are faring up your way. We must have had snow somewhere in the county because they called school, but we have none. I'm headed in anyway. They stopped giving us teacher work days last year so there aren't many chances to get ahead of the mountain of work.

About six inches wet packed and just starting to come down hard again. The worst is ahead of us all day but we are fine.

And on the west coast. 10 inches of snow at our lower elevation and up around Tahoe 3 feet in the next 24 hours...hanging on tight.

I just looked at the map. You're kinda close to Lassen. That was one of our favorite trips that we took when my wife was going to school in Berkeley. God's Country
west and north of Chico. Hope to make it back there someday for hiking, but the summer season is so short.

Here in Pittsburgh the snow bands REALLY varied if you go 10-20 miles one way or another. In my hometown we got about 7-8 inches, just flurries left now. Where I work 18 miles away, we got 2-3 inches.

Already starting to melt though, and supposed to be 58 on Sunday. :)

About 7 inches now.

Cows are enjoying the hay I set out yesterday.

2D34A34E-838D-4FD0-B88C-3BDDEFBACCC9-9286-000002DD7C2DBFB0_zps69d996c7.jpg

Gonna be a bunch to clean up once this is over.

9D381900-E868-4046-BF73-17073C71D15B-9286-000002DD85DB849E_zps5cbec831.jpg

878820C0-9CBD-4C7C-8AFF-1E975E19864E-9286-000002DD8F51F5AB_zps572e08f4.jpg

Plowing the driveway.

14A39A65-5F3C-4757-AEBF-F0177573E275-9286-000002DD966C9510_zpse5f1c70e.jpg

Reactions: northwinds
A total of about 11 inches with winds. Dropped two 5 foot drifts in my drive.:mad: I got the Case backhoe out and showed those bastages who was boss.::P

Reactions: BrianK
Yeah yeah, I lived in the mountains of Colorado for 8 years and it snowed July 4th one year. Hans Peak got 8 inches. Apples and oranges brother.

My grandmother would tell of it snowing July 4th here but I've never found any historical records to confirm it.
I don't doubt it though - weather extremes isn't anything new.

Wind is kicking up here now.
Forecast changed from rain and no snow to 3-6"
Monday the storm was most likely to slide by just to the south
I just raked up the whole yard ( except where the snow piles are ) of all the detritus from Sandy, the blizzard and all the other blows this season.

Coming down very steady here in south central PA, just a few miles north of the mason dixon. Never thought I would say this, but I think I brought in too much locust, not enough oak to mix with it.

Reactions: ScotO
The good stuff is on the way up PA. We are getting bombed right now.

Just plain crappy (cold, rainy, and windy) here in Central NJ.

Well, yet another big letdown here in central PA. We were supposed to get 6-10", ended up with around 3" at the house. Hoping it sticks around til this afternoon so I can take one more blast on the snowmobile with the kids before I put it away til next winter......

I'm officially ready for spring!!

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Wasn't one upping. You didn't answer my question.
Didn't mean any offense. Here in the mid-Atlantic we might get a skiff in March, but a big snow is rare.

I said apples and oranges because snow is just a part of life in other regions. School was cancelled one time while I was in Colorado. It snowed 6 feet in two days. Here they forecast .25" and school gets cancelled.

Reactions: ScotO and milleo
20 inches - wet heavy stuff. Heard a few trees break while plowing driveway. Little pines are getting hammered
temporary_zps8bac4580.jpg

gotta finish this woodshed !

temporary_zps57161109.jpg

Reactions: Tuneighty and ScotO
Holy crap you got slammed....!

Woodshed pic was at 1:00 still snowing now, but some light wind is helping out a bit with the trees.

Wind is howling here. Almost all rain now.

Status
Not open for further replies.