Wet Snow And High Winds Headed For The Mid-Atlantic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Looks like the makings of power outages headed this way with the combination in the thread title. Starting tomorrow night into Wednesday.

Started snowing here this afternoon. 6"-10" tonight and tomorrow. Another make-up day for the kids in June. With hills and the school buses, that's about all it takes to close school for the day.

Yeah they will announce the school closings for Wed. by tomorrow afternoon. My retired neighbor just completed his school bus driver training.

It appears that I am sitting squarely in the 6-12" of snow range according to current predictions.
This winter stuff can be over, already.:mad:

Reactions: ScotO
Not giving totals here. Starting Tuesday night through Wednesday, snow to rain mix to snow. Sounds like a wet mess!:mad:

Think this one is going to miss us, YAY! ;lol

Stopped by the grocery store today. We needed a couple of loaves of bread and the aisle was emptying out already. Four of the bread company guys had just rolled in so I got a couple of fresh loaves. They were having a ball joking about the coming snow and how fast the bread would be going out the door. The forecast figures that the stuff will be melted in two or three days max.

Back in the early nineties we had some nasty snow storms in early March.

I restocked the wood pile under the deck today...let'er rip.

Think this one is going to miss us, YAY! ;lol
Us too
0022.gif

Reactions: milleo
Stopped by the grocery store today. We needed a couple of loaves of bread and the aisle was emptying out already. Four of the bread company guys had just rolled in so I got a couple of fresh loaves. They were having a ball joking about the coming snow and how fast the bread would be going out the door. The forecast figures that the stuff will be melted in two or three days max.

March snows can be deadly. They are often wet and heavy and accompanied by freezing rain. Bad combo.

March snows can be deadly. They are often wet and heavy and accompanied by freezing rain. Bad combo.

Yep the monthly firing of the generators is tomorrow and I will go ahead and run the 12ga cords in before sundown. Wet snow with all of the miles of trees our power lines run through is a power outage guarantee. And with high winds the heroes in the bucket trucks won't be able to help for a while. We have one feeder in the development that angles from one side of the road to the other side over a half block span. I have seen it inches off of the ground in ice storms.

Looks like the makings of power outages headed this way with the combination in the thread title. Starting tomorrow night into Wednesday.
Stay safe, this storm is well south of us but before the middle of April we usually get hit with the wet heavy chit.

We're sittin right on the rain/snow bubble.....I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I hope its all rain....the un-frozen variety...

I have a bad feeling it won't be....

Reactions: BrianK and zap
Honestly, I'm sick of this wet snow slush bullchit we have been getting every other week. It warms up just enough to make a sloppy mess, then drops down below freezing. Then the next storm comes in, warms up just enough to be slop, then drops below freezing....over and over and over.

I'm (gulp) ready for spring......==c

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
That is what we call winter here Scotty. Frozen one day. Slop the next. Rinse and repeat.

Just caught the latest weather and it's coming, no doubt. Of course, It will be here, make a mess and be beautiful here by Friday in the mid 50`s. They can't make up their mind what time Wed the storm will hit here or if it will be snow, ice, rain or all of the above, we will have to wait and see. I can't rely on weather folks anyway, I'll know for sure when it gets here :)

I'm with you Scotty, Spring can get here any time. I've got a lot if trees still to cut up from Sandy, the longer they sit in this slop, the longer they are going to take to dry out.

Fingers crossed it misses me completely, I don't need any more trees down!

I vividly remember March 13, 1994. Snowed in with my family on my 21st birthday! :eek:
My neighbor, who was a few years older, took me on his 4 wheeler to the only thing open in Penndel, PA, The Irish Rover, famous if you ever lived around there, good ol' Irish bar. Drank myself stupid, but it was worth it :)

Reactions: ScotO and milleo
In the nineties I was the first one to bust out in a big snowstorm. I took a list for everybody and came back with a truck load of cases of beer.

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
I vividly remember March 13, 1994. Snowed in with my family on my 21st birthday! :eek:
My neighbor, who was a few years older, took me on his 4 wheeler to the only thing open in Penndel, PA, The Irish Rover, famous if you ever lived around there, good ol' Irish bar. Drank myself stupid, but it was worth it :)
Wow, my 21st birthday was March 15, 1994.....we're the same age almost down to the day!
I remember that storm too. I, too, got chitfaced (celebrated my 21st).......we had around a foot and a half of snow in 24 hrs.....almost two feet locally.....

Reactions: milleo
Wow, my 21st birthday was March 15, 1994.....we're the same age almost down to the day!
I remember that storm too. I, too, got chitfaced (celebrated my 21st).......we had around a foot and a half of snow in 24 hrs.....almost two feet locally.....
Hah, both hittin' the big 40 this month - Happy Birthday fellow Pisces :)

I really hope it starts earlier than later tonight! If I can't get out the driveway I am stuck at home, but if I can, ill be stuck at work. I have been having fun reading this website. Sometimes WAY more in depth than I can comprehend:

http://geoea.org/category/mid-atlantic-weather/

House is loaded with a 2 day supply, some fresh cut locust that came in at 14% on the MM. Dropped it and the bark fell off too!

The weather forecasters swung and missed on the first pitch here. It didn't even snow last night--yet. Pavement is dry. Yet....they still cancelled school.
I guess we're on the edge of heavy snow that's still coming. Kids are happy. I told my daughter that it didn't snow, and there was a moment of panic on her
face since she didn't bother studying for her history test today due to predicted weather last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.