What’s this from

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
E425EA35-EBF0-449A-A8A9-A1375865EA1E.jpeg 4A5A8153-EDEE-43A8-A854-F08532B2CFC3.jpeg Almost looked like sand. This is next seasons wood. Something nesting? And real concern?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of the wood, but most likely the infamous powder post beetle. They tend to like the sapwood vs the heartwood as the drier the wood gets, the less you will see them. If it is particularly worrisome to you, spray it lightly with some of your favorite insecticide, but that probably is not necessary.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sawset and lsucet
Saw post beatle dust here for the first time this year on the wood I brought in under cover. It had been sitting out 3-4yrs.
I've seen the same thing on 100yr old beams, every year for a very long time, they're very dry, and they don't seem compromised for their intended use. Am thinking for what we do for firewood, realize what they are and not to worry too much about them.

It could also be from a female sawyer/long horn beetle laying her eggs. Sometimes at night I can hear them in my wood stacks. It's actually quite loud. They won't do it during the day in fear of being heard by a predator.

Looks to be powder-post beetle.. iv had it in the shed from time to time.. it is what it is.. but i wouldn't worry abot it at all.. only of the wood sits for a long time wiill it really become a nuisance.. youll have a lot of clean up after bringing in alot of wood..

It could also be from critters leaving the wood as it dries rather than entering it.

Don’t worry about it. I’ve never had it become a problem for us-just have to tap off some splits before you bring them in the house.

I find they don't like oak. But have them in softer wood. I keep the stacks 50ft from the house.

Thanks all!! I was never too worried. Nothing a hot fire won’t take care of!! Stack is probably 200’ from house. Just curious.

Thanks all!! I was never too worried. Nothing a hot fire won’t take care of!! Stack is probably 200’ from house. Just curious.

I see that all the time. I just brush the dust off the wood and pop off any bark before bringing it in the house. You have 200 feet from your house to your wood pile? I am guessing that you are in Suffolk County.

I see that all the time. I just brush the dust off the wood and pop off any bark before bringing it in the house. You have 200 feet from your house to your wood pile? I am guessing that you are in Suffolk County.
Yup. .5 acre in East Northport