What’s your favorite part of firewooding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My favorite part is Hanging out with my son.. Working with machinery.. watching my son operate the skid steer.. Being in the woods and sitting there taking a break and sharing a hot coco with my kid.. no deadlines.. I work as much or as little as little I want. I like running my saws.. they are cool.. I like processing.. my kid uses a skidsteer and a grapple bucket and brings the logs over and I cut away.. I like splitting.. I listen to music.. or just put in ear plugs.. and again work at my own pace.. Stacking sucks.. there just nothing cool or fun about it..

I like seeing that damn trailer empty after a back breaking day of loading it. Suppose I like the figuring out tactical approach of taking on a large tree too. A bad day in the woods cutting wood always beats a good day at work.

I'd have to say my favorite part is rolling up to a scrounge site of prime hard woods, and loading up the truck.
Thats all gone for me, for now, as I speak, my area just entered the first wave of noticeable dying ash tree's, lots of trunks are blonding out and woodpeckers are feasting away, I have re-focused my whole wood approach and now just cutting standing ash tree's down while they are still solid, its triage here, I know all the white ashes are going to eventually die off, its just a matter of scoping out the worst first so I can remain safe in the woods while cutting, but its not all sad news either, we have a lot of white oak and hickory that have been kind of choked off a bit and now opening the crowns up will help them out and make things more healthier. If I had to estimate how much ash I have available, I'd say nearly 30 cords without working hard to get it.

My favorite thing about it is:

Moving the seasoned wood from the stacks on a trailer, taking it to its final destination....the city shed and the cottage (under covered porch). Then burning the rotten pallets in a fire pit.

Reactions: mcdougy
Mine is sitting on a round next to the splitter in the verticle position enjoying a nice cigar with a stack of rounds waiting for their demise.

Happiness to me is stacked firewood that I cut, split and stacked myself. You get all benefits that way while satisfying the soul. Burning my wood stove is the cherry on top.

For me it's hand splitting rounds. Satisfying whacks or persistent sledge hammering on a wedge. I stack per wheelbarrow so I have little breaks between the exercise.

The warmth of working outside with the view of a good fire in the future because of this work, and then sitting, either near the stove (as now) or on the deck with a bourbon or a cold beer. The contentment of that moment after a day of splitting - that's my best part.

The smell of freshly split and stacked wood with my favorite being oak. Get enough split and I can smell it several feet away.

Thats all gone for me, for now, as I speak, my area just entered the first wave of noticeable dying ash tree's, lots of trunks are blonding out and woodpeckers are feasting away, I have re-focused my whole wood approach and now just cutting standing ash tree's down while they are still solid, its triage here, I know all the white ashes are going to eventually die off, its just a matter of scoping out the worst first so I can remain safe in the woods while cutting, but its not all sad news either, we have a lot of white oak and hickory that have been kind of choked off a bit and now opening the crowns up will help them out and make things more healthier. If I had to estimate how much ash I have available, I'd say nearly 30 cords without working hard to get it.
Im cutting on a property that is 98% all dead standing ash. It’s sad. Looks like a wasteland. However endless firewood!!

I don't like cutting down the tree (poor tree).
I don't like cutting up the wood into sizes for splitting.
I don't like splitting.
I don't like hauling and stacking.

But I do like a wood fire to keep the house warm. I really like even watching a fire in my stove. Elegant play and dance of flame. Mesmerizing.

Take home message for me: One must at times shovel a lot of manure, to grow a beautiful rose. ;)

Side note : I do actually like working outside, and in the woods. Doing most anything but getting firewood..... :cool:

Happiness to me is stacked firewood that I cut, split and stacked myself. You get all benefits that way while satisfying the soul. Burning my wood stove is the cherry on top.
I love the cherry on top. Or ash, oak, elm, maple, beech......... ;)

Give me my 36" fiskars, a pickaroon, a maul+sledge for tough pieces,
get an old tire for a 18-22" rim, its life changing, no more picking up pieces and re-standing them. Huge time saver

Reactions: stoveliker
Mine is sitting on a round next to the splitter in the verticle position enjoying a nice cigar with a stack of rounds waiting for their demise.

What do you like to smoke? I'm a cigar guy myself. I have some Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduros im working on right now and some Aging Room Quattro. I usually just hit up Cigar Bid and look for deals on past top 10 cigar of the years.

A stogie and a splitter is a good day. If only we could add beer but that is really not recommended. Beer is for hand splitting lol.

That I’m the only one that benefits from the whole process. I’m not making some old fat white guy CEO’s stock options go up enough so he can send his stupid kids to space camp. Or the state getting richer so our useless governor can blow it on something completely stupid, or the senile old bastard in Washington can blow it on useless wars.

That I’m the only one that benefits from the whole process. I’m not making some old fat white guy CEO’s stock options go up enough so he can send his stupid kids to space camp. Or the state getting richer so our useless governor can blow it on something completely stupid, or the senile old bastard in Washington can blow it on useless wars.
So how do you really feel lol. And I totally understand you.

Time with the kids in the woods, and watching them work.

Attachments

• IMG_20171016_152438[1].jpg
    IMG_20171016_152438[1].jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 79
I enjoy the whole process, from the moment I spot the firewood candidate whether it's standing or dead on the ground, to the feeling of satisfaction of seeing it stacked and drying out in the yard during the summer. But I particularly enjoy firing up the chainsaw and working with it, all the way down to doing the maintenance on it after a hard day of use.

Counting the rings, scanning the surroundings, and imagining what went on.
Taking part in an age old tradition.
Cutting, and realizing the work a pint of fuel can do.
Radiant heat.

Hydraulic splitting is my favorite part. I love the sound of it....so satisfying!

I pretty much enjoy all of it other than the times I run into big rounds that are knotty. not fun with hand tools. I'm itching to get a truck soon. Then my wife is really going to think all I want to do is get wood.....