What about MatchLight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Well...Next friday is the big day my new Jotul F600 gets installed. Pumped to say the least....Plenty of wood and kindling for my first season. Most start their kindling with newspaper or expensive fire sticks.....my thought is what about MatchLight charcoal? Take one piece and bust it in half and flame on! Very inexpensive...a 25lb bag is only $10 at Home Depot. Thoughts would be appreciated.... Thanks guys

I'm thinking no. Not an expert but one of the things I continually read was not to use lighter fluid to start a stove. I'm guessing you will get more carbon from the charcoal and petroleum residue in the chimney.

fv

I used it all last year and in the spring I got only one coffee cup of ash / creosote when I cleaned my chimney in the spring. Its a non issue if you ask me. If you can cook your food on it it cant be too bad. and as far as the petroleum based lighter fluid, Isn't parafin wax a derivative of petroleum? Thats in most all fire starters.

It no doubt will work. Different strokes for different folks. I used newspaper and kindling for many, many moons until I tried the Super Cedars and we love them. Now I also don't have to worry should the wife have to start a fire. That is one of her weak points but after using the Super Cedars, now she can start a fire from scratch.

One piece like you are suggesting will work fine. Some use fire starter logs and they are usually loaded with parafin which is a fuel product...

Sounds like a great idea. We need some one to give it a try and report how few cubes they can get a fire started. I have been using the sawdust, 1/2 an egg size stuff they sell at HD. 1 works fine. I think there are 50 for $10. Like Dennis says it takes all the work out of starting fire for my wife and me. Don't think I will ever go back to newspaper.

I'm thinking "way NO" on this. doesn't that stuff say for outdoor use only?
With newspaper being easy and cheap (think your local library if you need newspaper FREE) and pallets and such for kindling why mess with this?

i guess the "use outdoor" warning has to do with people burning an open charcoal grill in the kitchen. The CYA warnings says something about the common sense some people have.

I'm too economical to use any fire starter other than rolled up newspaper tied in a loose knot and bottom up method on top of kindling. Wife does the same. Cost is $0.00. Economic lifestyle in all areas has allowed early retirement and splurging on things far more fun and exciting than starting a fire in the wood stove.

"...and splurging on things far more fun and exciting than starting a fire in the wood stove."

Impossible!

I don't think you'll get any significant flame/heat out of one piece of charcoal - not even close to what you get from some fatwood or super cedar. Iv'e never found it that difficult to crumple a few pieces of paper and add a bit of kindling. I bought a mini-ax and make my own kindling out of splits for when i need them - which is not very often.

I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as CTWoodburner . . . I don't know if a single lump of charcoal would give you much flame action or heat . . . I guess I would be more inclined to be cheap and just go with the kindling and newspaper . . . or if you get bored cook up your own firestarters out of old candles and sawdust . . . or just give in to peer pressure and try the Super Cedars and use the 15% discount while it is available.

I am with the couple knots of news paper. works great for me.

I like the old egg carton with a little dryer lint, if you add wax it really goes for awhile. But I find just grabbing some dryer lint and add it to a piece of egg carton and a few small twigs or bark and I have fire. I am really disappointed if it takes more than 1 match. Firestarters are nice but I guess I am like being cheap when I can. What do you do with your dryer lint anyway? You will be amazed how it burns.

I was a Fatwood user for the last 5 years....Super Cedars have since taken that over...Cant beat a 1 match fire!

blow torch. starts the fire every time. epa approved. for five dollars probably do all season. I know takes the fun out of it. but it works

Status
Not open for further replies.