What are you using to vacuum your stove with.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i let the stove cool down about 2 hrs, and use a SEARS canister carpet vacuum cleaner ($300).
Does a very good job with cleaning the stove, BUT LOUSY ON THE CARPETS !
Found a cheap nanolite vacuum at walmart ($50) that is GREAT at carpets.
Hope SEARS never gets into the pellet stove business, cause their mowers,blowers,washers,dryers
and probably most other stuff stinks !
BTW- did i say i dont like SEARS ?

Shop vac has done the job of cleaning here.

I do not recommend using a Rainbow vacuum :red: Big mistake. I might as well just picked up my ash pan and shook it over the room. Used the shop vac to clean up the mess.

I use a shop vac and then a leaf blower to suck out the ash in all the hard to reach places.

Loveless Ash Vac and EARPLUGS!!!!!!!!

5 gallon Shop Vac which I already owned, and a drywall filter.

Big ole shop vac for me here. Before I vac out the stove, I always scoop out most of the ash first and empty it into a can I picked up at the store. Once I'm sure the embers are out I hit it with the shop vac. Scooping out most of it first, also saves me a little money, as I only go through 2 bags a year in my shop vac.

I have been searching for a vacuum attachment brush with very long, stiff bristles, to clean the heat exchanger in my Mt Vernon. So far no luck. I'm still using an old paint brush and holding the vacuum hose nearby (non optimal).

vacuum set up we use Standard Metal shop vac with Paper pleated filter and a Dacron Primary filter to stop the ash from Plugging up the paper filter.
photos at the bottom of this page
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitclean.htm

Another Loveless ash vac here.

Wish I had paid the extra for the "quieter" model.

I wear ear protection and the dog leaves the room when he sees the vac come out.

Ranger

Another Loveless Cheetah user here. Yup it's loud. I also wear ear protection when using it. Could have bought a cheaper model, but the container was plastic. The more expensive model was supposed to be quieter, but I thought the price increase was to steep especially since I wouldn't be using it everyday.

I have a Love Less vac. It came free with the Quad I bought last year. Well let's face it, it wasn't really free but it was included in the price of the stove that the dealer quoted me. I bit loud but it only takes a few minutes for the weekly clean.

vgrund said:
I have been searching for a vacuum attachment brush with very long, stiff bristles, to clean the heat exchanger in my Mt Vernon. So far no luck. I'm still using an old paint brush and holding the vacuum hose nearby (non optimal).

i found this just now. comes with a free "pellet stove kit"

AV-HearthCountryPelletKitDetails.jpg

Hearth-Country-Premium-Ash-Vacuum-image.jpg

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Fireplace-Ash-Vacuums/Hearth-Country-Ash-Vac

better price than some i've read about.
i'm curious though. a few folks here say they just use their shop vac and don't specify using a hepa filter.
sounds messy though.
we have a small really old shop vac and i think it's old enough they don't even make the hepa filter for it.

$150 with the kit seems like a good deal though for an actual ash vac. free shipping and it has an insulated 80db motor.
hopefully that kit is actually useful.

j-takeman said:
I have seen that vac for less, Just can't remember where????

"engage google!" thanks for the heads up.
if i find it, i'll add it to this post.

$126.37 free shipping appears to not include the kit. but that puts the "free" part of the kit into perspective. you are paying almost face value for it at $150.
http://www.simsupply.com/p-40942-stove-ash-vacuum.aspx

and there is one place that has it for $110. but with $15 shipping. so basically a wash.

i wish i knew at all if those attachments will be useful with the ps50 i plan on getting.

nice! hearth.com people come through again.
there is a tractor supply just down the road in augusta. have to give them a call.

and i'm not even sure how much i'd need any of the attachments. if i could buy the kit separately w/ free shipping , that would be the best price overall.
i have a feeling i'll go the $99 route and then learn if i really need any brushes. look for one offs for specific needs.
the basic package does include the crevice tool and a rotating brush.

St_Earl said:
and i'm not even sure how much i'd need any of the attachments. if i could buy the kit separately w/ free shipping , that would be the best price overall.
i have a feeling i'll go the $99 route and then learn if i really need any brushes. look for one offs for specific needs.
the basic package does include the crevice tool and a rotating brush.

That's the ash vac that I use....the only attachment I use from the "free" attachment kit is the clear hose thingy. The other attachments are cool.......I just have not used them. So I would say buy the vac without the kit and save the money. Then buy just the clear hose attachment.

drove down to augusta this morning and got the vac at tractor supply. $104 something with tax.
it did little to allay my eagerness to get the stove itself.
still like a kid waiting for christmas.

i did make my first referral though to hearth.com. to some folks who were looking at the pellet stoves there.
hopefully the couple will stop in here before they buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.