What Caused These Holes on Log?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
Kinda odd holes in a piece of staghorn sumac. Very symmetrical and I would suspect a woodpecker or a human with a drill but then they turn and go lengthwise as well. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 21.28.38.png Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 21.28.47.png Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 21.28.59.png

Those are bigger than the holes carpenter bees make here or in TN, that I have seen.
These are bigger than the thumb in the pic.

Diameter of carpenter bee holes = 1/2".
Article mentions "When the tunnel is about 1 inch deep, the bee turns at right angles to the initial hole and tunnels with the grain of the wood."

That's my point; it appears to me these are 3/4" dia.

Maybe they used a metric tape measure and got the translation wrong

They do look like carpenter bees, but they are too large.

Reactions: stoveliker
Woodpecker, when they think there's something in there you can't stop them.

Sasquatch holes.

When hunting chupacabras, the N. American Sasquatch will tap finger holes into logs to simulate the chupacabra mating call. I saw it on youtube