What do you do with pallets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jb6l6gc

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2015
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Below I have attached pictures of all the things I do with pallets. I get once used double sided high quality pallets from work. Can stand to burn them when I can do so many thing. Please attach pictures of anything you guys do with them. I'm runnin out of ideas
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: semipro
Forgot my snow fence too I made out of a skid for loader buckets. Best skid I've ever gotten have to take a pic tm. I hope to really get this thread going with some great ideas for diy'ers

I bolted wheels on a pallet, bolted on a 4x4 and put a hitch on it. made a nifty tow behind cart for my tractor that i dont mine abusing.

other things - compost bin which works out ok.
I save a decent one now that i have a pallet jack so i can use it to move around heavy items.

Reactions: tlc1976 and jb6l6gc
Good idea on the tractor Cart may have to make one for my lawn tractor. Keep them ideas and pics coming!!

I built a 16x20 shed using pallets for the walls. Turned out much better than I hoped for.
Any chance you could post some pics and description of how you built it? Was thinking of doing a wood shed in spring. Haven't thought of design yet

Yup I planned on it but couldn't post them easily from my phone.

My ground is fairly stable so I didn't need to do any prep besides set the pallets on some pressure treated 2x6's. I used 1/2" bolts/washers/nuts to join the pallets together with 12" 2x4's to connect the pallets together. Roof is a 2x8 ridge 2x4 rafters 2' on center with 3/4" OSB,tar papered right now as I haven't decided on shingles or green metal to match the house. Used some old tarps from work to line the inside walls then bolted 2x4's in to give a little more stability. Floor is tarped underneath and a mish mash of leftover wood pieces, the deck boards are from the old metal shed that didn't survive last winter.

IMG_20150927_150740_zpshzfthmz4.jpg

IMG_20151005_141547_zpsxcjrtait.jpg

IMG_20151011_180403_zpsjzjjqlw4.jpg

IMG_20151026_115948_zpsbukezoml.jpg

Yup I planned on it but couldn't post them easily from my phone.

My ground is fairly stable so I didn't need to do any prep besides set the pallets on some pressure treated 2x6's. I used 1/2" bolts/washers/nuts to join the pallets together with 12" 2x4's to connect the pallets together. Roof is a 2x8 ridge 2x4 rafters 2' on center with 3/4" OSB,tar papered right now as I haven't decided on shingles or green metal to match the house. Used some old tarps from work to line the inside walls then bolted 2x4's in to give a little more stability. Floor is tarped underneath and a mish mash of leftover wood pieces, the deck boards are from the old metal shed that didn't survive last winter.
I guess one nice thing is I can take all one type of pallet. Was thinking the best type would be the type I have as my one garden box with the 4 2x4s instead of three!! I like where this thread is going!

Love the wine rack, wife wants one now. I am looking to get a router soon to start doing some nice details on my woodwork!

Thanks. I only used a saw, hammer and nails. Staining it sure made a difference in the way it looks.

Good idea on the tractor Cart may have to make one for my lawn tractor. Keep them ideas and pics coming!!
Just use strong 1/2 inch (or as big as the wheel hub allows) lag screws to bolt on the wheels. It was a bit of trial an error before i got it to a point where i can pile on 16 bags of pellets and drive them to the house.

When I first bought my cabin I vaulted the ceiling. The boxing in of the main beams and the upright boxes were all made from recycled lumber from crating/palleting from work: (the ceiling itself was purchased knotty pine). Simply picked out some straight stuff and ran it through my planer.
cabin 001sm.jpg

The boxing in of the main beams and the upright boxes were all made from recycled lumber from crating/palleting from work: (the ceiling itself was purchased knotty pine). Simply picked out some straight stuff and ran it through my planer.
I've seen some people do some accent walls with pallet boards. I may try that in my basement when I finish it

i turned my pallets into a pile of pallets, then stack wood next to them on the ground :)

I store everything in the basement on pallets in case the sump pump fails.

Want to build a garbage box for the end of the driveway to keep the critters out. Most people on my road have one.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Like the tree though that's a great idea!

Why would you put it next to them vs. on them?
it was a joke, but I have a never-ending stack of pallets, so right now there are just a few stacks of pallets

it was a joke, but I have a never-ending stack of pallets, so right now there are just a few stacks of pallets
Nice I figured as much. I'm gonna build a few new things soon.