What do you do with splits that are too long?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
petehouk said:
I have some splits that are just too long. I guess I could probably shoe-horn them into my stove on a crazy angle, but that makes it really tough to fit other pieces in at the same time. And there's no way to load the stove up for night time with one wedged in at an angle.

So I am thinking about cutting some of the longest pieces. A hand saw sounds tedious. A chain saw would be faster, but how to hold the piece while cutting?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pete

I measure and cut my own wood so I never get pieces that are too long.

Hope this helps.

petehouk said:
I have some splits that are just too long. I guess I could probably shoe-horn them into my stove on a crazy angle, but that makes it really tough to fit other pieces in at the same time. And there's no way to load the stove up for night time with one wedged in at an angle.

So I am thinking about cutting some of the longest pieces. A hand saw sounds tedious. A chain saw would be faster, but how to hold the piece while cutting?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pete

I just picked up 1/3rd of a cord and it was all 18 to 20" long. didn't find out till I had already traveled to get it so here was my solution

Steve

When all else fails, stuff several splits in a milk crate and then just cut off the ends.

I think NorthernTool sells a metal sawbuck.

I set the power mitre box up by the stove. I normally only use it during the summer so it's a good place to store it. When i get a split a bit too long I just chop a piece off it.

Matt

I have the Chainsaw Buddy. Back in 2006 I ended up with a new stove and six cords of wood that was six inches too big for it. Whacked every one of them with the "Buddy" on one of my small saws.

-Get up.

-Feed the stove.

-Eat breakfast

-Whack another days worth of splits.

-Repeat all winter.

Man did that get old fast.

cut in half with the chop saw for N/S loads - My wife has become very fond of the ease of N/S

i have plenty that is a few inches too long that I picked up on scrounges so i cut up a bunch every few days

Chainsaw . . . cut and roll . . . hold with the left foot . . . make sure I don't cut off foot.

I know one guy that solved this dilemma with buying a bigger stove.

I have a sawbuck like the one HotCoals showed in the picture, but mine has a lot more room on the top half. I made the first two vertical Xs 18 inches apart, so if a split will pass between them it is OK, if it will rest on them it is too long. I stack a bunch of over-length splits, bungee cord them together, and cut them all at once with the chainsaw. Once they are cut in half they'll go north-south in my stove which is convenient.

steeltowninwv said:
fossil thanks..thats pretty nice idea...i have an electric splitter that wont stay forward like that....sure wish it would though

Mine was like that until I introduced it to a bungy cord.

maxed_out said:
I know one guy that solved this dilemma with buying a bigger stove.

Yep, 5' deep firebox rarely results in a split that's too long. :lol: Did hear of an old guy that cut his wood 4' long, then left the stove door open & fed it in as it burned. Funny thing is the house burned down that same winter. Go figure. True story to the best of my knowledge. Merry Christmas All!!!! A C

Pete[/quote]

I just picked up 1/3rd of a cord and it was all 18 to 20" long. didn't find out till I had already traveled to get it so here was my solution

Steve[/quote]

A word of caution, I destroyed a good chopsaw doing that, split grabbed and jammed the blade and broke the drive gear. :mad:

I will stick with the chainsaw.

WES999 said:

Um, cut them shorter...

I made this box for cutting wood shorter. It works like a giant miter box.
Just fill it up and run the chainsaw down the middle. Works great.

I have a chainsaw buddy (got it from Baileys) It works best for cutting long smaller branches.
Some splits may be a bit too big for it.
I sometimes cut smaller branches 6 feet long and cut them up later and for the life of me I can not judge 18 inches very well, your box is the one I like better than what I had in mind, hope to build it this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.