WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PENNINGTON NATURES HEAT SOLD AT LOWES AND HOME DEPOT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Englander 25 and it seems to run then fine, alot of sparks though...... I got 2 tons at wal mart and don't know if I have a receipt...... My pellets look like the one in the pictures..... I'll e-mail penningtons and let you guys know...... will my Englander 25 eat these without screening???? Help????

robbie99 said:
I've got a Englander 25 and it seems to run then fine, alot of sparks though...... I got 2 tons at wal mart and don't know if I have a receipt...... My pellets look like the one in the pictures..... I'll e-mail penningtons and let you guys know...... will my Englander 25 eat these without screening???? Help????

I burn the 25PDVC and have never screened a bag. Never had a problem associated with fines. I just hate dealing with the dust. But I only have a half ton of Penningtons this year.

robbie99 said:

From what I have seen, bottom feeding stoves with the horizontal auger seem to be able to push the sawdust along with the pellets. Top feeding stoves with the angled auger and drop shute will have trouble as the auger gets full of the fines and just spins in the fines without transfering any material.

Oh I had pellets in excess of 3" and more than 25% fines. Pennington mailed me a return form and did follow up with me as I mentioned but I wasn't willing to screw around with this anymore. I am glad Home Depot took back a ton. I would hit Home Depot again letting them know the manufacturer has directed customers to return them to point of purchase. Frankly, that's crap. I used to work as a manufacturer's rep. They can get credit and should take them back.

Contacted Bobbie Black at pennington, she was very fair to me and gave me back about 20% of the cost of the penningtons, that's about how much of the bag I was throwing in my other wood stove. I have bot Penningtons since and they were fine... no long ones.... Robbie99

I have bought all 4 tons of pellets from home depot this year, One ton was the pennington and three were fireside ultra. I did not care for the penningtons much they burned fast and didn't seem to last as long. I started that ton when it was very cold and very soo switched to the firesides. I am starting the again today as I just used the last of the firesides today. Hopefully they work a little better when it was not so cold

I bought 2 tons a a month ago for next year used 5 bags and find they do not put out as much heat as other pellets. I may have to mix them with heaters next year.

Have to say, burned some Pennington last year.
Dusty and lots of longs. After burning numerous brands
(10 or so) as a test (my first year) I have to say
Somerset and Greene Team are the best so far.
Low dust when pouring, low ash when cleaning and
decent heat. The three combos I'm lookin for.
I pour the bags into a coal hod in the house for loading
into a fireplace insert so the resultant dust cloud from pouring
isn't acceptable. Somerset and Greene Team are the best
match so far.

This is my third year burning pellets when I bought the stove I bought 1 ton of Pennington from Home Depot ,it burned dirty and inconsistent. I got another ton from Lowe’s they were made in Canada a little better,Lowe’s got a different supplier Green Team those burned very hot and clean.
Second year I bought 5 ton of Green Team from Lowe’s good heat clean burning and very little dust from the bag when I fill the stove.
After reading that Pennington had improved and Sam’s club had them on sale I purchased 5 ton. I started the season burning Green Team, glass stays fairly clean even after burning for 2 days I was down at Lowe’s and the had some broken bags I don’t remember the name but they were in brown bags those burned ok .
Now I’m into the Pennington 12 hrs of burning and the glass is completely black have to clean the stove every 12 hrs full of clinkers and I have to run the heat up to the next number to get the same heat out, and when I dump the bags in dust is all over the place.
Now I have 5 tons of this garbage to use!
I will never buy Pennington again.

Burned 5 or 6 bags of penningtons, found them pretty decent for a cheap Pellet, consistant lenths, bit more ash yes, but good heat and few Fines.

Attachments

• tn_Penningtons.jpg
    tn_Penningtons.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 655
I just went through 8 bags bought from Walmart @ $4.78/bag.
Nice heat, low ash but I found the bag had a lot of fines in it compared to the LGs.
I'll probably get some more.

Yeah there horrible, I tried a couple of bags again this year and the same thing to many fines and ash.

I went thru 20 bags of the Penningtons. Very few fines, ash was average, heat output was not as high as I would like it to be. Paid only $3.84/bag. I would use them (at least the batch that I had) on the front and end of the winter season.

I have tried a dozen bags of the Lignetics Pres-To-Logs
from Lowe's.
Its Lignetics mixture of hardwood and softwood variant
(smells more like softwood to me though).
They seemed above average to me relative to
dust, ash and heat. I'd say they are worth buying.

I burned a tonne of Peningtons from Wal-mart last year. I had never burned them before, but they were the only ones I could get when the shortage was at it's peak here in atlantic Canada. The only pellets I could find were in Maine, and Wal Mart was getting loads of them every week. I got a tonne, they ended up costing about $8/bag by the time I got them back to Canada. I was surprised to read negative feedback on them after the fact, because I thought they were one of the hottest and cleanest burning pellets I had seen so far. Maybe I was lucky and got a good batch. They burned hot and clean, the least amount of ash of any brands I have burned yet, and what little ash there was was light and a grey in color. There were very few fines in the bag as well.

I would love to get 4 tonne of the same ones I burned last year.

I like them except I found two pieces of rubber in a bag. I suspect there were more. looked like small pieces of conveyer belt, 3" long at the most.

A few comments. Rented the Lowes truck here in Dayton for 20 bucks. (75 minute max) Plenty enough to get the pellets home and the truck back. For 40 cents per bag it was worth it. Now to the pellets. This is the second year of four that I have burned Pennington pellets. I have well over 2/3 of a ton of Natures Heat left to burn. They burn just fine for me. I did have to make some adjustments to the Glow Boy this year but these pellets seem to work just fine. Cranking some heat tonight...26 deg and dropping...

Burning Penningtons this year bought 2 tons these are good very little fines and all about 3/4" - 1" long. No clinkers! The price was $2.00 a bag. Not as much heat as the Heater pellets which are softwood but these cost $4.00 a bag. Were in the low 20's at night and were expecting a big snow storm Monday.

$2 a bag?? I wish. They are way too pricey for me. Not even tempted to buy them unless the price goes down.

It's a 2-year old thread. Get a clue. Rick

BTU said:
Haubera said:
$2 a bag?? I wish. They are way too pricey for me. Not even tempted to buy them unless the price goes down.

What am I missing here..$2.00 per bag is only $100 per ton....This is expensive?... A mill can't even produce a pellet for that price...let alone sell and make a profit...thus my question, what am I missing here??????
Sorry should have been clearer... no $2 a bag isn't too much, but that's not the current price. Current price I'm seeing at Lowes is $4.99. That's too much. I can get pellets elsewhere for less.

I bought these in the spring at Walmart they unload at a cheap price to get them out of the store. I got the last 2 ton at 100.00 a ton. The year before I got them for $0.50 a bag and I bought 2 ton $52.00. First year I had the stove and they were really bad pellets. Walmart will sell cheap just to get more floor space any lost comes out of the stores profits.

They sell for $5.96 a bag now and if any left in April they will keep droping the price till they are gone.

We manufacture and sell wood pellets - located in southern Missouri. Tested pellets, 8500 BTU, less that 1/2% fines - all hardwood pellet.

Truckload pricing - $165 per ton - picked up at our manufacturing plant
Less than truckload pricing - $186 per ton - picked up at our manufacturing plant

In need of pellets - call 417-926-4328 - HEAT, LLC

gutterboy2ca said:
Burned 5 or 6 bags of penningtons, found them pretty decent for a cheap Pellet, consistant lenths, bit more ash yes, but good heat and few Fines.

Whats the date on the top corner of the bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.