What happened to winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RFarm

Oct 24, 2013
North Georgia Mountains
Since 2/4 we have not been below freezing here in N. Ga.and are heading into the 70's tomorrow. Frogs are singing in the evening and I expect the whippoorwill to make an appearance soon. I got a lot of leftover wood for next year. No lows below 45F in the 10 day - just rain and clouds and abnormally warm days. Winter may be over before it ever started down here in the beautiful south.

It's coming back up here in the north in about a week. Georgia might be home free.

In a couple of years none of us will need to burn. Oceans will rise, temperatures will climb and flying snakes will rule the skies. I know it's so because I saw it on the nightly news :)

Reactions: Dix and weatherguy
Where did you see the flying snakes?Fox news?

Where did you see the flying snakes?Fox news?

Actually if was a PBS show which showed an animation of the northeast overgrown with jungle like vegetation and overrun by a plethora of exotic and prehistoric like animal life. This scientific presentation was on about 8 years ago, and the scientist were showing us the future in 30 years. My wife and I figure we've got 20 years or less of having to worry about cutting, splitting and stacking. That will be about the time we are ready to retire. I will have a lot of free time and it looks like the hunting should be real good. I just hope the electric rates aren't too high since we will be on a fixed income. Always something to worry about.

Reactions: Ashful and saewoody
Sure enough a google search on "pbs flying snakes" pulls up a dozen references.. but only gliders... non with wings

Flying snakes sound awesome.

It's 50 at 4 AM right now; gonna be 20 tomorrow night. The flying snakes won't like that, or the half a foot of snow the night after. Back to the 50s after that....

Last edited:
Mid Feb. - still have to deal with March and April here and those can be real yo-yo's temp wise. Not to mention the nastiest storms are mostly in those 2 months. March and April storms of my youth would curl your hair now days- were considered normal.

After a brief hiatus it looks like we are in for some colder temps next week. Could be the coldest yet this winter for our area. It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

By Monday the northern half of the west will be back in winter. For us, temps will be the coldest since Dec. 2016. Time to load the wood box with some locust.

Saw something today about the polar vortex split in two and half of it is pounding Eurasia and the other half is sitting over the US west. Apparently the Stratosphere has warmed significantly leading to the split. This has happened before and typically lasts 2-4 weeks, then the tables turn and the eastern US will most likely get hit. I have been also seeing a lot of stuff on the solar minimum and how we are supposed to get cooler for up to 50 years. I am not sure what is going on, but I wish it were cold and wintery so those freakin flying snakes don't start popping up! I had a big black snake fall out of a tree right at my feet last summer, scared to crap out of me!!!

We just went through 16 hrs of non-stop 25-30mph winds coming right out of northern Canada as this system moved in. It's blowing southward all the way to Baja. The weather is calmer now and colder. Looks like we will be below normal for temps for at least a week now, or more.

I used to be a guide in a new england glacial valley. About 2 miles out there was a rock crop where the copper heads used to sun. Nearby was a tree where a big black snake used to hang out.

As part of my guide duties I'd carefully point out the copperhead. Then, for fun( I was a major idiot as a kid) I'd point out the black snake with a warning.. watch out for the snakes in trees.

Sfaik, it was the only place in the valley with a snake lounging in a tree

For the gullible it was two miles of worry back to the base lot

Last edited:
It was a cold winter here compared to the previous 2. I ripped through about 5 cord. I'm ok with the 65F weather today. :)

Back to 29F tonight.

60 degrees, baby. Feels like spring....

I am sure March will have some snow and ice.

It is warm and humid..... Plants are going to get confused.

Took out the hammock today and snoozed on the porch.. 70s on the new england coast.. snow tomorrow

Warmer temps = a lot less oil and gas being used to heat homes. That's a good thing.
Loss of snow and ice at the pole and over Greenland is definitely not a good thing. Warmer summers = more air conditioning and electricity used and ocean warming = stronger, more expensive storms.

It's not summer. It is February.

A few warm weeks in Feb are meaningless.

Greenland was green, not under miles of ice..so maybe it is time for it to be green again. :)