What have you done to or with your splitter today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm prepping to start cutting up the frankensplitter. The I beam is 12' long and I don't like the detent/tank/motor layout. I have all the parts to build a second splitter and I'm going to make one of them with vertical split capabilities. Both will be 30 ton. I have a motor on a snowblower (auger is all fubar, but the drive transmission works great) so I've toyed with the idea of leaving the motor on the blower, pulling the auger and mounting the pump to it, mounting the blower to the I beam with a pivot and being able to drive it around where I need it. Lol.
Any progress?

I installed a tool box and spacer at my log stop. The splits were getting caught in the opening. I added some stiffeners to my beam to prevent the bounce/torque when lifting larger rounds. I added another support jack and changed out the front jack stud to a wheel.

20180917_115158.jpg

I installed a tool box and spacer at my log stop. The splits were getting caught in the opening. I added some stiffeners to my beam to prevent the bounce/torque when lifting larger rounds. I added another support jack and changed out the front jack stud to a wheel.

View attachment 232448

Now that's a splitter, holy crap!!

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Last edited:
20181015_163608.jpg
added a work table to the other side of the splitter.
20181015_163615.jpg

My splitter is a dirty hands tools, and the new table is county line , but it was cheaper and holds the logs better .
I mostly added it to protect the filter casting from dropped rounds
20181015_160730.jpg

I'm jealous of all of you with snow, here in Haverhill I don't expect any until January , if I'm lucky

you mean we're all lucky if we don't have any snow till then

your neighbor here in chelmsford:)

you mean we're all lucky if we don't have any snow till then

your neighbor here in chelmsford:)
Not the way i look at it :)

I split up a decent sized pine today with my new Champion. After running it for about two hours, I have thought of several modifications that I would like. I definitely do like the fixed platform, but a push-through box wedge design, not a blade, would be preferable. Presently, the far table needs to be made larger for storage and both sides made of a closed/smooth design. The engine definitely reguires additional protection. As careful as I was, I almost dropped a split. The Champion is a nice quiet machine and much easier to maneuver than the VI brand.

Split a cord and half of red oak over the weekend. One cord of it (the heartwood) went in the stacks, and a half cord of it (the sapwood) went into the burn pit. Almost half of the time was spent separating punky sapwood from good heartwood, these logs sat a little too long before I got to them, thanks to our insane rain this year.

I left lots of deep mud ruts in the yard with the tractor while skidding those logs to the splitter, but at least it’s done.

maybe this will be rung out so we don't have a lot of snow. i've had the same thing with my oak.

My log splitter has been in hibernation since mid November. Today we got 20+ inches of snow. I guess winter is here now...

My log splitter has been in hibernation since mid November. Today we got 20+ inches of snow. I guess winter is here now...
Snow season is felling and skidding season, for me. The tractor doesn't mind the snow, and the logs skid cleaner and easier.

Snow season is felling and skidding season, for me. The tractor doesn't mind the snow, and the logs skid cleaner and easier.

Exactly, if you have the equipment for it, snow makes a nice glide path. Nothing like bucking up a mud caked log.

Unfortunately, my tree cutting buddy has been in the hospital all fall. He may be done with the endeavor, and it’s on his land where I do most of my cutting. Not sure what the future holds for me, but my years of getting spoiled with miles of straight and branch-free oak trunks may be coming to an end. No felling scheduled for this winter, but I think I already have enough on the ground to keep me busy, awhile.

Reactions: Todd67
Yeah, it's been a crazy winter so far. Minus 6 this morning, but it was supposed to be 4 above. We were only supposed to get 8 inches of snow Thursday, but the lake affect snow turned into 20+ inches in one day. I could only manage 25 MPH driving home from work Thursday night, in my 4x4 GMC Diesel truck on unplowed roads from Watertown to my house. I don't mind snow, but I hate that much snow all at one time. I don't do snow sports. It just makes everything else much more difficult. I have to wear snowshoes just to bring firewood up to my front porch today, and the firewood rack is only 75 yards from my porch. Dragging a sled through snow that is more than knee deep without snowshoes is too much work!

Yeah, it's been a crazy winter so far. Minus 6 this morning, but it was supposed to be 4 above. We were only supposed to get 8 inches of snow Thursday, but the lake affect snow turned into 20+ inches in one day. I could only manage 25 MPH driving home from work Thursday night, in my 4x4 GMC Diesel truck on unplowed roads from Watertown to my house. I don't mind snow, but I hate that much snow all at one time. I don't do snow sports. It just makes everything else much more difficult. I have to wear snowshoes just to bring firewood up to my front porch today, and the firewood rack is only 75 yards from my porch. Dragging a sled through snow that is more than knee deep without snowshoes is too much work!
I hear ya....

View attachment 232562 added a work table to the other side of the splitter.
View attachment 232563
My splitter is a dirty hands tools, and the new table is county line , but it was cheaper and holds the logs better .
I mostly added it to protect the filter casting from dropped rounds View attachment 232564
I'm jealous of all of you with snow, here in Haverhill I don't expect any until January , if I'm lucky

Nice job and photos.

Fyi- For those with the internal style slide, you need to keep the beam clear of debris. A buildup here can cause unnecessary stresses. Most have two holes to aid in removing the debris.

Capture+_2018-12-08-13-11-04.png

It's not that hard to keep clean, one or two swipes with a gloved hand and it's clear.

Thanks for posting the pic and the reminder, VirginiaIron!

You guys can keep the snow & cold up there!

You guys can keep the snow & cold up there!

I live about 75 miles north of Syracuse. This morning we were -5, while Syracuse was a balmy 21 degrees. Not talking wind chill at all. It's amazing how much colder it is in that short a distance. They can keep the snow where the ski slopes and snowmobile trails are.

Never liked that design specifically for that reason
This type of beam is all I've used for several years now, so I can't really compare it to anything else, but I don't have any trouble cleaning mine out at the end of the day. Mine is a different brand, the same basic design.

Grab the chainsaw scrench, jam the slotted screwdriver end in between the foot plate and the debris, and just pry it out. Then I sweep it thru the holes with my hand. There might be a better design out there, but this one really hasn't caused me any trouble.