What have you done to or with your splitter today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VirginiaIron

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Central Virginia
My lift was sinking very noticeably so I figured it was the valve or the cylinder. The new valve and cylinder are about six months old. I got a new valve and replaced it and so far my lift/table isn't sinking anymore.

Pouring here on Michigan, so absolutely nothing.:)

Reactions: VirginiaIron
My wood stacks are all full so I've put my splitter away for the winter (after rubbing exposed metal surfaces with an oily rag to keep corrosion at bay). But I still like to look after the motor through the winter to insure it will be a strong runner when I need it in the springtime. Today I made it some delicious pork and posole stew to help keep it strong. M-m-mmm ;)

My wood stacks are all full so I've put my splitter away for the winter (after rubbing exposed metal surfaces with an oily rag to keep corrosion at bay). But I still like to look after the motor through the winter to insure it will be a strong runner when I need it in the springtime. Today I made it some delicious pork and posole stew to help keep it strong. M-m-mmm ;)
In the words of Andy Taylor "M-m-mmm ain't Bee!"

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
IMG_5552.PNG
https://www.foodiecrush.com/crockpot-pork-posole-stew-recipe/

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Pulled out the splitters last week.. got a parts order together. Will be doing a full service to the splitters tomorrow. Getting ready for splitting season to start.. should start splitting right after thanksgiving.. my plan is that i start splitting and replace the wood as i burn it..
The oil was changed prior to storing it for the summer.. so i am doing the hydraulic filter, plug, check all the fittings. Replace the air filter, add new hydrologic fluid
I did the saws last week.. there ready to go.. we start cutting the log lenth down to rounds this week.

I didn't do it today, but last year I changed the filter and hydraulic fluid. I replaced the hydraulic fluid with automatic transmission fluid, and it made a huge difference with cold weather starts. It's a 22 ton Huskee from TSC.

My splitter just got built and in use today the ram retracted halfway back into the cylinder then stopped.. Now it won't go in or out.... engine still runs. maybe it's got a kinked hose?
fun times. New to this so problem solving this will be painful.

Reactions: aaronk25
My splitter just got built and in use today the ram retracted halfway back into the cylinder then stopped.. Now it won't go in or out.... engine still runs. maybe it's got a kinked hose?
Do you have enough fluid?

I didn't do it today, but last year I changed the filter and hydraulic fluid. I replaced the hydraulic fluid with automatic transmission fluid, and it made a huge difference with cold weather starts. It's a 22 ton Huskee from TSC.
I think my unit had ATF in it back in the 90's but I changed it to clear hydro fluid. Did the ATF speed up the cycle time?

Your better off posting a new thread on your splitter
Be kind. . Dont jack this guys thread
By posting this separately you would also get much more help

I think my unit had ATF in it back in the 90's but I changed it to clear hydro fluid. Did the ATF speed up the cycle time?

No not appreciably, but my splitter always started hard when it was below 40 degrees. Not sure if the guys that assembled it put the wrong fluid in it or what. It wanted to start, but then seemed like the pump dragged it down. ATF took care of that problem.

HF had some 6gage jumper cables for $16.99. I purchased a set today to use for my electric start on the ***PRWEDATOR***......powering my splitter. Hope to install this and the battery tomorrow.

I walked by and gave it a swift kick in the resevoir and a stearn look. I have no doubt that it will work on command.

I brought it into this world, and I can take it out.;)

I always carry a Leatherman. Occasionally I have been able to waggle it at a malfunctioning device to cause it to start working for my wife. I tell her it's because all the appliances know I'm one second away from coming at them with a screwdriver at all times. She is starting to believe. :)

I cooked her a pizza.

Of course then I showed her the post by @Ashful over on the "Splitting Axe Redux" thread.

i split some wood with it! I do need to change the oil, and probably add in some hydraulic oil. Its a touch low, and I noticed that it is starting to bog down a little bit....