What have you done to or with your splitter today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This will be my first full service of my splitters.. i obviously change the oil yearly, but first time changing the filter for the hydraulics, doing the plug ect... both are new..
let me know how it goes!

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Well today I was a complete idiot and pulled the pivot pin out of my splitter. Needless to say, that didn't work out so well for splitting wood today. Of course I was home by myself, so no help.

After my son got home from school, I had him drive the X534 over to the splitter & hook up a ratchet strap. Within a couple of minutes, the splitter was back together. I can't believe that I did something so stupid, 0f0de4d481e23312c7a0fe89907c176a.jpgf0fdfb671d242cd72f3fbc05dd127830.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well today I was a complete idiot and pulled the pivot pin out of my splitter. Needless to say, that didn't work out so well for splitting wood today. Of course I was home by myself, so no help.

After my son got home from school, I had him drive the X534 over to the splitter & hook up a ratchet strap. Within a couple of minutes, the splitter was back together. I can't believe that I did something so stupid, View attachment 201500View attachment 201501

Oh, so sorry. Although you might be onto something there. Some splitters have a diagonal set up like that, I guess, instead of a log lift. I would much rather operate a splitter in that position than the vertical position because it has the potential of holding the log.
When you pulled the pivot pin, did you think you were pulling the regular pin to raise the splitter in a vertical position?

Oh, so sorry. Although you might be onto something there. Some splitters have a diagonal set up like that, I guess, instead of a log lift. I would much rather operate a splitter in that position than the vertical position because it has the potential of holding the log.
When you pulled the pivot pin, did you think you were pulling the regular pin to raise the splitter in a vertical position?
Yep, I did. I don't know why, other than the pin has a really large handle and a cotter pin to pull. At the time it just seemed right. I'll have to try to get a picture of the pin the next time that I'm off.

Yep, I did. I don't know why, other than the pin has a really large handle and a cotter pin to pull. At the time it just seemed right. I'll have to try to get a picture of the pin the next time that I'm off.

Brain fart, nothing more, we've all done stuff like that. Like wondering why my newly sharpened chain barely scores the bark, only to find out I've put it on backwards. Derp

split some yesterday and kept having to restart to figure i need to rebuild the carb. sodbuster i did that yesterday also. da which way did he go louey. i started looking around to see if other people were noticing that i was a dope

split some yesterday and kept having to restart to figure i need to rebuild the carb. sodbuster i did that yesterday also. da which way did he go louey. i started looking around to see if other people were noticing that i was a dope

I'd first pull the fuel line off the carb to make sure your have good flow. If you have flow, drop the bowl, and check for crap in the bottom of the carb bowl. Finally either take compressed air or a small wire like a pipe cleaner and clear your main jet. That will solve 90% of stalling issues.

Is there clearance between the outer U and the inner plate where you could move the pin hole one way or another to lighten or heavy-up the beam during tilt mode? Do the nuts hit the U bracket?

The reason I ask is that it might be better to have a bolt and nut in this location rather than an easily pulled pin, unless you can conveniently change the balance on the beam.

Oh, yes... fond memories. ;lol

Is there clearance between the outer U and the inner plate where you could move the pin hole one way or another to lighten or heavy-up the beam during tilt mode? Do the nuts hit the U bracket?

The reason I ask is that it might be better to have a bolt and nut in this location rather than an easily pulled pin, unless you can conveniently change the balance on the beam.

It looks like I might be able to position the beam into the other hole. I guess that it would put the motor further out of harms way if I shifted the beam down to the next hole. With the pin in the current hole, it goes to vertical position perfectly.

I'd first pull the fuel line off the carb to make sure your have good flow. If you have flow, drop the bowl, and check for crap in the bottom of the carb bowl. Finally either take compressed air or a small wire like a pipe cleaner and clear your main jet. That will solve 90% of stalling issues.

i'm not a fan of the design. the carb sits and is screwed to the fuel tank. i took off the carb a week ago to check that problem it is a tube with a screen and i did clean the screen but i think i nicked the gasket so i'll replace it. bad b+s design. i can't even tighten up one of the intake manifold bolts it's buried can't use a socket or a wrench

frank

You'll need something smaller than a pipe cleaner to clean the carb. I run ethanol mixed fuel with stabilizers and I run my carb dry with every shutdown for these reasons. Your tank is below the pickup and connected to the carb, put just enough fuel in it to get the job done or purchase non ethanol fuels or make sure your stabilizer is mixed to its fullest ratio.

I haven't seen mine for a month. I left it back in the woods at the last tree I cut up & split, while I got caught up on my hauling & piling. Think I will be giving it a last go in the next week or so before it gets tarped for the winter.

If you change 'today' to 'this summer' - I had a hose start spraying fluid a couple three months ago, short one from valve to wedge end of the cylinder. So that got removed for a new one. Which led to discovering my fluid was pretty well garbaged - all kinds of watery nasty stuff in there, looked like liquid cotton candy. So that led to getting a new filter & 5 gallon pail of ATF & changing the fluid while I was at it with the hose change. Adjusted the detent release after I got it going again. Made quite a difference, silky smooth now. Then I had a flat tire appear a couple weeks after that when towing from one spot to another. Had to bring it out with me & reseat the bead - so it might be waiting for me with a flat tire again. But that has led to plans to getting bigger wheels for it - original tires are pretty checked looking.

Got some dirty gas that needed carb disassembly at the first of the year & periodic carb draining since.

That's been my year...

I looked at it .... :confused:

Im planning on splitting tomorrow and testing my log stop. I will try to get my lovely assistant to film me while i keep in mind this equipment requires respect too. I saw a YouTube video where the guy crushed his fingers. It was not pretty and one might think how in the world did that happen.

I split a small pile of wood and had the chance to test my log stop. The log stop is a very nice feature and I feel it is a must have if you have a log lift.

Attachments

• IMG_5578_LI.jpg
    IMG_5578_LI.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 322
I split a small pile of wood and had the chance to test my log stop. The log stop is a very nice feature and I feel it is a must have if you have a log lift.

I tried posting these the other day but somehow I was not able to complete the downloads.

I tried moving my splitter by hand and then tried out the wing and my new log stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: redktmrider