What if the firebox is a little too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffL

Hearth Supporter
Hi,

I have a weekend cabin in a cool to cold climate that is about 640 square feet on the main floor, that has a loft and high ceiling. I'm trying to pick out a free-standing, cast-iron stove to place in my existing stone fireplace, extending 8 inches or so onto the hearth - therefore I need a stove with a rear-exit flue option. I need a stove that will throw a good amount of heat as quickly as possible, as the cabin is usually between freezing and 50 degrees or so when I get there. Based on this requirement, I ruled out soapstone stoves. I've looked at Harmon, Quadrafire, and some other brands, but the two stoves I am considering at this point are the Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim (1.7 cf firebox) and the Hearthstone Shelburne (2.0 cf).

The VC Resolute has a firebox that seems like it would be adequate (anyone disagree?), and it's a little cheaper, but I'm a little put off by the dual controls, and read in one review that because the secondary burn happens in the back of the firebox, the secondary combustion fire is not as pretty or visible as other stoves with secondary burn tubes at the top of the firebox. What do people think about the advantages/disadvantages of the dual controls? What about this secondary combustion difference, is it for real?

Regarding the Hearthstone Shelburne, it is a one-control stove I think, with a very nice secondary combustion fire (I saw it in action at the dealer), and a much better warranty than VC, but a little more expensive. It would be nice to have the big firebox to initially warm up the place, but I'm wondering what I would do once it comes time to reduce the heat output. Everyone says not to run a stove with the primary air intake on low, but is there another way to reduce the heat output while still burning medium hot - like just putting in less wood? I should say that I'm burning fir.

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

Have you considered any of the smaller Jotuls as well?They too can be rear-vented.BTW-a steel stove will throw heat the fastest,but has shorter heat-life as well.

If you are planning on spending any time in the cabin overnight, then you almost must get a larger firebox, so that you can have overnight burns. You could try it with a smaller firebox, but then you will need soapstone to retain the heat, which goes against your immediate desire to have quick heat when you get there. Do us a favor, get measurements of your fireplace. A photo would help also.

In the meantime, a Jotul Castine is my vote, or something in that size range.

-- Mike

Fireplace is big and arched, 48 inches wide and 36 inches high in the middle. Made of big stones with an irregular face that made inserts difficult. The stone hearth extends out 24 inches. I hope that helps.

Here's a picture of fireplace, sorry it's crooked and off-center.

Attachments

• What if the firebox is a little too big?
    Fireplace.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 731
2cuft would not be to big IMO, considering you will be starting from a cold cabin.

Get something that can take the abuse of firing the snot out of it for the first few hours to bring the cabin up to temp...cause that is what you'll end up doing.

Don't go too extreme though. I'm speaking from a small amount of personal experience here, don't go TOO far oversized. Definitely stay out of the 3 cu. ft. range.

Corie said:
Don't go too extreme though. I'm speaking from a small amount of personal experience here, don't go TOO far oversized. Definitely stay out of the 3 cu. ft. range.

Get a little hot in the house the last couple of nights Corie?

No comment.

Actually I knew taking home that stove was a mistake based on my house size, but they wanted me to test it in the real world. I'm going to give it a few weeks of steady heating before I pull it out and replace it with a 13. So far though, my limited experience has been that it is just entirely too much stove- There is just no good way to take the chill out of the house without it being 96 degrees in the living room and watching TV in your skivvies.

My stove would look MINT in that hearth.

I would recommend an Englander but engineering has not figure out a rear exit configuration yet

The Resolute Acclaim has an entirely new burning system forget all customer rating none apply now

Spring this year the Resolute Acclaim was scheduled for re- certification VC has so much sucess wit the everburn technology that it incorporated it into the Acclaim.

According to VC it burns cleaner and more efficient and longer that all past Acclaims before. Personally I had a modern Acclaim here for 3 years I upgraded to the Encore,
on a deal that comes around once a life time. I don't know if anymenber have burned the new technology Acclaim not too many of us burn in the summer

However Trader has done extensive studies into the everburn technology so I will leave that up to him to explain. This is the same technology in the Harman Oakwood and lopi Leyden

I can tell you that its GPH registered the eye popping under one GPH.. also of note ther is neither one positive or negative report on the New Resolute Acclaim

However VC is the first company to adopt the everburn technology and so far has perfected and fined tuned it the best recording the cleanest stoves ever tested by the EPA.

More important than warranty, is the dealer that sells you the stove. you want a dealer no matter what model he sells that has the mechanical knowledge and the willingness to honor the warranty. second in importance it a quality installation unless you are capable of doing it. Venting is the engine and success depends upon getting it right Won't make any difference what stove you purchase if the venting is compromised and screwed up Go with you gut feeling as to the dealer you feel comfortable with . price consideration asr as such saving a buck on a crapy dealer in a pinch and instyallation wise safety wise is not the position you want to trust you life to

to answer you original question what if the fire box is too small? that means to stay warm you get up at night and or early morning and reload the stove

Yes and so does a guy that has had wood stoves for 30 years. My father told me "that is a hell of a stove you have"

personally , i think i would lean more toward a cast stove , though the hearthstove is a great unit , my thought is that a cast unit would give you faster warmup times than the soapstone, though the hearthstone would probably give longer heat cycles due to construction and larger box, my only real reason for saying this is that being a cabin possibly not occupied all the time, getting warmer faster may be a premium. however if it is lived in all the time the hearthstone might not be a bad choice either. alas as elk pointed out , our units wouldnt likely be a good fit due to top only exhaust.

I do not understand what is wrong with putting a top exhaust stove in that fireplace. I could drive my Suburban into that thing. That thing would hold a top vented Jotul Firelight.

Or,

Attachments

• What if the firebox is a little too big?
    cabin 30-ncp.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 627
Did I read something wrong? Looks like he said that fireplace is:

"48 inches wide and 36 inches high in the middle"

Any stove on the planet would fit it. Look at his picture. That little black spot on the bottom of the fireplace is one of the big old Timberline stoves!

Thanks Mike and Bart,

That is a 1974 Schrader in the huge fireplace now, by the way. This is my first woodstove, and the cabin is far enough away from Portland, Oregon that nobody wants to go up there to see the fireplace in person, so I didn't realize I could fit a top-vent stove in there too. I guess I will look at all the rest now, including Englander and Jotul!

At this point I am favoring single-control stoves like the Hearthstone (the Shelburne by the way is not a soapstone model, so I could get the rapid warmup I needed in my icy cabin). Anybody care to comment on single vs. dual air controls (i.e., the kind with separate damper controls)?

My previous house had a schrader fireplace (freestanding) very similar to that in your pic.

It made ALOT of heat, but it used ALOT of wood!

JeffL said:
Here's a picture of fireplace, sorry it's crooked and off-center.

yes,

I have to admit, my wife likes the glass door better too.

on topic, get a bigger firebox than you think.

biggest stove you can fit in the hole, always.

Status
Not open for further replies.