What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
By my math, 200 degrees Celsius is 392 Fahrenheit. I'd say it's pretty close
Well egg on my face. This has not been my week. I didn’t do the equation i just (wrongly) 100c=212f then 200c=424. I see my mistake now! ;lol For anyone else stumbling across this in the future
(200°C × 9/5) + 32 = 392°F
Thanks for setting me straight.

Well egg on my face. This has not been my week. I didn’t do the equation i just (wrongly) 100c=212f then 200c=424. I see my mistake now! ;lol For anyone else stumbling across this in the future
(200°C × 9/5) + 32 = 392°F
Thanks for setting me straight.
Dont worry we all have days like that

Reactions: Rusty18
Last nights' oak is gone (few 5" long pieces glowing left). Low this morning was 14 F, 21 and sunny outside now. High of 29 F later today.

11 outside, 64 inside. I power burned down the coals from the 6 am reload1 split at a time all morning and here we go again. 100% red maple.

20220127_104143.jpg

10:58 air down to 10% where it will stay. STT 550 and blower up to medium. This will slowly climb to steady state around 700 degrees.

Reactions: MMH
And that my friends is reloading am EW tube stove in a cold snap. Pretty easy and quick process with good wood and a strong chimney.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is waiting too long to the the air down and let it get way too hot. This wastes wood and can damage the stove. I find shutting it down as soon as possible gives me the best and most even cruises. I mostly just go by visuals in the firebox. The flames don't lie! With a recessed insert a flue probe isn't an option and STT temps lag behind a little bit.

Last edited:
And that my friends is reloading am EW tube stove in a cold snap. Pretty easy and quick process with good wood and a strong chimney.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is waiting too long to the the air down and let it get way too hot. This wastes wood and can damage the stove. I find shutting it down as soon as possible gives me the best and most even cruises. I mostly just go by visuals in the firebox. The flames don't lie! With a recessed insert a flue probe isn't an option and STT temps lag behind a little bit.
I have an Osburn tube stove. I definitely find the EW loading is more controllable when real cold. I also have a tall chimney and can run away if not closed down pretty quickly.

I have an Osburn tube stove. I definitely find the EW loading is more controllable when real cold. I also have a tall chimney and can run away if not closed down pretty quickly.

Yes absolutely. I usually save up my shorties to do a N/S load here and there for fun and it can get out of control fast if you don't watch it. I'll usually only do 1/2 to 2/3 loads this way. The design of the airwash and doghouse is really for EW so it's not surprising. N/S orientation gets more air.

Even EW the stove likes to burn and will run away if you let it when its cold out. I typically like to just relax by the stove with the dog and get the air down ASAP for best results. Then it's just set it and forget it for 6 hours give or take depending on the load. It's not a huge stove only 1.85 cu ft.

I had one small overfire incident this year where I got distracted post reload and hit 850 STT for a 15 minute period. Everything was OK and I got it under control quickly but it was scary for sure.

Yes absolutely. I usually save up my shorties to do a N/S load here and there for fun and it can get out of control fast if you don't watch it. I'll usually only do 1/2 to 2/3 loads this way. The design of the airwash and doghouse is really for EW so it's not surprising. N/S orientation gets more air.

Even EW the stove likes to burn and will run away if you let it when its cold out. I typically like to just relax by the stove with the dog and get the air down ASAP for best results. Then it's just set it and forget it for 6 hours give or take depending on the load. It's not a huge stove only 1.85 cu ft.

I had one small overfire incident this year where I got distracted post reload and hit 850 STT for a 15 minute period. Everything was OK and I got it under control quickly but it was scary for sure.
I had previously been doing NS loads as I can obviously load more but the temps run hotter it you're on top of it. I can easily get overnight burns with a partial load in the 3.3 cf firebox. I like to mix it up though and I basically only burn red oak for the next couple years then I will have other stuff in the queue.

Great info and thanks for videos...i been using pe summit for almost a month now and turning the air down early does help me. Having a blower fan is a neat trick to control the stt. I have not purchased that yet..

When I turn down the air early it will still creep sometimes to 750 plus with an almost 3/4 full box. The downside...Turning air down early I find more smoke on startup and reloads even with good flames and wood.

The flue damper works great to control the stt and but sometimes that lowers flue temps too much for me. I measured the flu 18 in 24 in and at the adapter area...guessing double wall might help a little.

If I use the damper too early and not let the interm flue temp get to 600 or so and before using all of the air inlet stage adjustments it will give me a lower flue temp burn. So basically I'm sitting at the stove for 15-20 minutes on reloads before I can go to bed.

With a pre 2020 stove I didn't need a chair near the stove to make all the adjustments.

We hit - 20 at 10:53 p.m., we loaded up some Sugar Maple & Ironwood this morning.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
A devilishly grinning piece...

IMG_20220127_202054195.jpg

Not a stove but open fireplace loaded with nothing but relaxation. Bourbon helps. Mix of oak, birch, and likely some ash. 20* and feeling all of my heat from the radiators goin’ right up the chimney. At least it’s warm within a five foot radius of the fireplace, ha. We’ve burned every night this week, something we never really do. Addicted.

F63C1E9A-09AD-4A64-B6DB-C11FA2285BB9.jpeg

That disturbing piece wasn't gone yet and it's bed time. So I raked all the junk (from that piece of oak and two 1 ft long ash pieces) forward, loaded 5*5" square but only 1 ft long ash pieces behind it, added longer thinner ones on top and an oak piece across in front.

The stuff starts burning too soon when it's 78 F after having been a few feet from the stove for a day or two... No chance of proper stove Tetris..

28 now, which is also the low. Tomorrow 33 during the day. Then snow at night. They predict 12-18" still. And 70-90 mph gusts, with regional outages expected overnight and Saturday.

I'll load up the rack in the garage.
So, even if I'm not here, I'll be warm. That is after sledding and shoveling.

IMG_20220127_221705261.jpg

Have work training all week that’s about 12 hours each day so I’m not getting my mahogany in early to come up to temps during the day, tisk tisk. Oh well; lows headed for 0F loaded up tonight with pine and juniper. Not nearly as exciting as Caw’s tutorials, but a nice steady predictable ashford, the primary’s will die down within 5-10 mins and it’ll be a coal glowing otherwise black stove for the night.
6D914561-8C38-4FB2-B303-43F2D2A75042.jpeg

Its 28 this morning with hickory and red oak for the heat. I had a load of red oak last night. The stove is getting pretty full with ashes and I need to clean the glass. I will take care of all that this evening before reloading.

Not nearly as exciting as Caw’s tutorials
I live to entertain and educate the people! I'm currently laid up on the couch waiting for my am pain meds to kick in. The mornings are the worst.

It's 65 in here so I just threw in a load of big maple pieces. Not going to get Yoon cold this weekend but we're expecting the same storm as @stoveliker. Current estimates have me in the 12-18" belt with further east towards the city getting more like 18-24" which is pretty rare, it's almost always the other way around.

We brought in wood the other day but it's been cold so the stove is chowing it down. We're gonna get back out there and top the inside racks off later today before it starts just in case. We don't have a generator so if the power goes out we'll all be camping out in the living room or 1st bedroom upstairs, those are the warmest rooms in the house if my blower doesn't work. The insert does protrude 9" so we get some heat off that and the glass but not enough for the whole house. Good enough in a temporary situation though.