What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a small fire going right now. All ash. It’s 47 outside and 77 inside. It’s been raining all night/day.
At least the last of our snow finally melted away.

I didn’t have a fire overnight and the house was 72 when I woke up.

It's 41.5 out tonight with more rain, I have a small load of ash going in the wood stove tonight. The basement temp is 72 heading up and 69 up here.

We had 34.3 this morning with another small load of ash going in after 11:30, we'll be dropping down around 36 again with another small load of ash planned for the overnight burn.

It's 36.3 tonight with another load of ash going in the wood stove, the basement is 72 and the rest of the house is 70.

41F tonight, and tomorrow's low will be 36F. Got a small fire with low quality hardwood shorts tonight - should be enough to keep living room at around 65F.

We had 27.7 this morning with another load of ash going in the wood stove.

It's 43.3 tonight with some not so great birch going in the wood stove, that should keep the temp up here 69 to 70.

Reactions: JamesGuido
30 now, down to 23 tonight. Ash & beech yet for overnights. Smaller loads when it stays over 40 overnight. Sunny days it's a small softwood fire first thing in the morning, then nothing until the sun goes down. Probably only a couple weeks left for burning in SE WI, but when I go back to the northwoods it'll still be overnights for awhile I bet.

41F outside with high of 51F tomorrow. Cold starting stove after not burning for about 2 weeks with maple and oak splits. This batch of wood was very hard to burn (moist) back in Dec / Jan but caught on almost instantly this time around. Amazing what 3 months of drying can do.

Birch.... it's all i have remaining....
but it's dry and it's keeping the house toasty on these cool spring mornings in southeastern Wisconsin

JøtulEasterSundayMorning04172022.jpg

We hope everyone has a Blessed and happy Easter!

40F... dropping to mid 30s overnight. Living room is nice and cozy at 69F from burning maple and oak. Reloaded with couple large ash and oak splits for overnight burn.

Watching some of the coolest secondary flames - looks as if there are whiskers of flame dancing in the stove in mid-air, not connected to top or bottom

67B4552A-79C3-4C0E-BB66-C4735C39BCC3.png

Reactions: bipsic and Riff
What is wrong with your “not so great birch”?? 🤔
Betting it's punky. Birch does that quickly, usually while still standing. Most of my dead birch tree's in the northwoods are junk firewood. I've got some birch logs stored up off the ground that are probably pretty iffy because I didn't score the bark and didn't get them split right away.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Maple and ash . . . possible snow in the forecast today.

What is wrong with your “not so great birch”?? 🤔
Some of it had punk in it, I was burning it until January hit (we had 18 to 20 days below zero) it's perfect for these temps.

Most of the birch I cut had been damaged and started rotting from the top down, those are the splits we've been burning.

I usually have two face cord of pine ready for the spring but I never did get it split and stacked.

Maple and ash . . . possible snow in the forecast today.
It stayed warm enough overnight that we had rain, we're finally getting some snow but we'll see if we get the 6-10 they called for.

Burned up all the uglies a few weeks ago. Thought we were almost done burning, but this winter just keeps lingering. Have to go back to the good wood for the next few days.

We got about 3” of wet snow last night and this morning. It only got up to 35 today and is windy. I’m burning ash and beech.

Outside is 34 and inside is 77.

I guess we had it pretty good here. I have a buddy in southern NY who said he got close to a foot of snow, and a lot of people are without power.

Overnight our rain turned to snow but it's gone already, it was 30.5 this morning with some maple providing the heat. We've been keeping our temps up here at 70 and the bedroom at 68.

The maple we're burning is better than the not so great birch but it still came from the our wood dump a few years back. I'm not sure how much we have left in the stack under the cover but once that is gone, we have some ash ready.

Reactions: DonTee