What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stove room at 66 lows only to 38. Mild tonight ash maple and pine untill morning

20230118_213150.jpg

It's 28.5 tonight with a load of ash going in the wood stove. The basement temp started out at 70 and the temps up here are between 68 to 70.

Reactions: Vg3200p
Half load around 7am since I still had plenty of coals left over from the 10pm full load last night. Couple team members got super concerned with recent lay offs in news and spent all my afternoon tending their feelings... meaning I didn't reload until 4pm. Coals were still decent, thought I would do a half load N/S of short oaks, so by bedtime I have nice bed of coal for a full reload overnight.

Turns out now it's almost 10pm, I still have about 50% of stove full of coal, still have good flames... looks like I'll have to delay bedtime till around 11pm to get a half reload in.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 30.9 tonight with the basement temp starting at 75 and the temps up here 69 & 70. Five splits of ash went in the wood stove for the overnight load.

We had 31.8 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73 with the temps up here 68 & 69. Another five splits of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

We're finally getting some snow, they're calling for just under two inches.

Reactions: zmender
Loaded a bunch of ash shorties around 4:00. Stove room now at 78. Overnight low forecasted at 30. Debating whether to reload before bed or just let it go cold overnight.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 25 tonight with the basement starting off at 70 and the temps up here between 68 - 70. The stove has ash and 1 split of pine in it for the overnight load.

Loaded yesterday at 1700hrs with some old, bottom of the pile red oak and birch that was pretty far gone. Had low water temp this morning at 0700, Stove had the 7/10 split going on. One chunk smoldering on each side with the middle burned down to nothing, Adjusted the logs and the fire roared to life. Added 3 shovels of bituminous coal and should be good for the day. Supposed to be in the 40s today so the OWB will just idle along.

20230121_074021_HDR.jpg

Our outside temp this morning was 24.3, the basement started out at 70 and the temps up here 66 & 67. Another load of ash went in the Liberty.

Loaded yesterday at 1700hrs with some old, bottom of the pile red oak and birch that was pretty far gone. Had low water temp this morning at 0700, Stove had the 7/10 split going on. One chunk smoldering on each side with the middle burned down to nothing, Adjusted the logs and the fire roared to life. Added 3 shovels of bituminous coal and should be good for the day. Supposed to be in the 40s today so the OWB will just idle along.

View attachment 308147
Do you prefer burning coal or wood? Do you have the strong yellowish sulfur smoke with bituminous coal? Super curious as grew up burning coal in stoves as a kid, and more than one morning I'll wake up to a freezing cold house and a smoke filled living room with parents trying to relight.

Two cherry splits a smaller oak split and 1x red stone brick. These bricks run hot! Vista got to 625 stove top with great secondaries.

It's 26.4 out tonight with the basement starting out at 77 and up here 69 & 70. The wood stove has a load of ash in it for the overnight load.

Reactions: Vg3200p
Loaded up with ash and sugar maple about 10:30. Air currently fully closed and ripping along. Will be up awhile yet to let it settle down so I can get to 1/4 open or I'll smoke the glass and have charcoal left instead of coals in the morning. Currently 22 outside, basement was down to 70 but is back up to 74, upstairs was down to 64 and will be getting warmer shortly...

Thinking about changing my stovepipe come spring. Currently have 3 1/2' up, then 3 1/2' horizontal, then 20' insulated liner. I lose draft pretty bad at some point during the overnight. Considering changing to about 2 1/2'+/- up, then have an angled run (guessing about 30 degree), then about 1 1/2' horizontal before the liner. Any of our chimney experts have any comments?
16743658111664320476873461106790.jpg

Partial load of N/S red/white oaks.

Recently I've being doing a lot of N/S loads... really enjoy not having a bunch of ashes falling out every time I open the door. Seems burning shorts stacked all the way up to the tubes N/S gives me longer burn time and more efficient fire than a simple partial load with full length splits.

Unfortunately my stove isn't deep enough to load a full 16in split. I have maybe a week worth of 10-14in oak splits left.

Partial load of N/S red/white oaks.

Recently I've being doing a lot of N/S loads... really enjoy not having a bunch of ashes falling out every time I open the door. Seems burning shorts stacked all the way up to the tubes N/S gives me longer burn time and more efficient fire than a simple partial load with full length splits.

Unfortunately my stove isn't deep enough to load a full 16in split. I have maybe a week worth of 10-14in oak splits left.
I'm thinking the same. I Just cut some ash and beech trees that were down to 12 inches and less so I can load next year n/s exclusively

I'm thinking the same. I Just cut some ash and beech trees that were down to 12 inches and less so I can load next year n/s exclusively
Stratford II in the Northwoods is way happier n/s. I also started cutting short for up there...12"+/-. Stacking is not nearly as friendly as 16" though. Cribs at the end are tough and 4' high stacks aren't very stable.