What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Giant piece of silvermaple. Some ash pine and maybe Norway maple in there to. Running over loading and operation with Mrs. Shell be running the stove solo for a day or 2 if we get the forecast amount of snow

20230124_184334.jpg 20230124_184343.jpg 20230124_184357.jpg 20230124_184431.jpg 20230124_185146.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
This morning I loaded N/S with oaks. By 2pm the front half of stove was pretty much burnt out with back half still heavily coaled. This is what I've being doing....
load a medium sized split at front; on top of this split tightly stack 6 biobricks. Amazing heat from bricks, while rest of coal burns. All in all gave me about 7 hours of heat (STT going from 500s down to 300s) and even front/back bricks for next reload.

For night reload I'll probably do full reload of pure dried locust in 15min from now.

It's 25.5 out tonight with the basement starting out at 75 and the temps up here at 70.

Another load of ash went in the wood stove for our overnight heat.

Reactions: MMH
2 yr seasoned maple...ash i cut down a month ago...some cherry and white birch from fall...and what my grandfather called "Case Hardened" elm that was standing dead. some apple and poplar in the shed as well as some yellow birch...and all the scrap wood i can burn from the woodshop. I'm pretty sure i can burn whatever i throw in the old fisher papa bear.

We had 15.8 outside this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, the sleeper 67 and the rest of the rooms 68.

Another load of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

More Ash and Apple tonite. Have found the Apple doesn’t coal that well and not high in btu's. So will continue to mix it with other wood.
Interesting. I’ve never had apple but my understanding was it was relatively high in btu, upwards of 26-27 depending on what source.

Reactions: JamesGuido
It's 25.9 out tonight with the basement temp starting out at 73 and the rooms up here at 69.

The wood stove has a load of yellow birch with three rounds of ash in it for the overnight load.

Reactions: MMH
Heading to 30s tonight and looking very wet. I don’t want to stay up anymore so loaded beech, locust and bricks onto a thick coal bed. Next 24-48hrs I’m gonna have to clean out ashes…

We went from 28.4 to 32.8 with the snow changing to rain and then back down to 28.2 so it's snowing some again. The basement temp started out at 72 and the temps up here were 67 & 68.

A load of yellow birch and some ash rounds went in the wood stove this morning.

Reactions: MMH and zmender
This looks like an ad for Jotul!
i'm open for biness :D
Your setup is very nice. Beautiful brick hearth and I like how the stove is out in the open.
thanks, I did replace the other brick hearth with these old bricks, some from an old building in Milwaukee and some of Chicago Common Brick

Reactions: Gearhead660
Currently 11 out, house is 71. Threw in some more pine and a long odd elm split.
send some of that cold my way. We've yet to see a decent snowfall this year. And we really havent had cold hold on long enough for us to open up ice skating/hockey on the pond. Last year at this time, we've already sharpened our skates once and lost a dozen or so pucks until spring. The ski slopes are nothing but ground up ice. We need snow/cold!

Outside temp around ~50F outside when I woke up, living romo 70F. Is this still Jan in CT!?

Idled the stove until around 4pm, still had an inch of coal. Reloaded about 75% with N/S short splits. By 11pm I'll proabably have 2, 3in of coal for an easy reload.