What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's 20.3 out tonight with the basement temp at 75 and the temps up here 69 & 70. I shut the fan off on the wood stove (raked the coals forward) and turned the pellet stove on for our overnight heat.

Accu has our temp dropping to 7 in the morning.

Reactions: MMH
send some of that cold my way. We've yet to see a decent snowfall this year. And we really havent had cold hold on long enough for us to open up ice skating/hockey on the pond. Last year at this time, we've already sharpened our skates once and lost a dozen or so pucks until spring. The ski slopes are nothing but ground up ice. We need snow/cold!
Yeah we haven’t either. Cold yes but the snow hasn’t been like this is many years. All of California’s atmospheric river events have been mostly snow for us around 6-8”+ at a time. I’ve gotten ample tractor time this year :)

26F outside tonight, stove room currently at 74F, back of the house at 67F. Just reloaded at 9pm on a good bed of coals after 16 hours. Filled the BK with a 3/4 load for the over night to carry me until 7am or so tomorrow...mix of ash and black locust and one cherry split.

24 and windy, just loaded up with ash, birch and maple. 74 down in the rec room by the stove, 68 in the living room upstairs. Down to 14 tonight and 3-6" coming tomorrow.

30F outside.

Since I woke up this morning added 2 partial loads… first time NS with oak shorts and bricks around 8am, second time a single locust split EW with 6 bricks placed tightly on top around 4pm.

Now it’s bed time, full reload EW with locust, a few small ash to fill in spaces, and 6 biobricks all the way to the back.

This morning we had 9 for an outside temp, the basement started out at 75 and the temps up here were 68 & 69. Another load of ash went in the stove this morning.

Tonight the outside temp is 24.3 with the basement starting out at 73 with the temps up here at 68. Tonight the wood stove received five splits of ash with two splits of beech.....finally some better hardwood.

32F in Syracuse. I have been burning scrounged dogwood all day and mixed in a split of chokecherry for the night load. Will be ashes with a few coals underneath by tomorrow morning. It was up to 70 an hour ago but I usually wake up with the house 58. Furnace doesn't kick on until 45 but it never gets that cold before I start another fire.

slept 'til 6 :eek: this morning... found a cold stove with 16°F outside...
stuffed boring but warm oak into our homeheater and fired'er up.
Enjoy your coffee.

Jøtul01282023620am.jpg

31f on the mountain this morning. Loaded yesterday around 2000hrs. 2 big chunks on either side of the firebox and 5 shovels of bit coal in the middle. Almost 12hr later most of the 2 chunks are still there and coal is burned down 70%. Ran the poker under the coal bed to get rid of some ash. Loaded 2 more chunks on each side and added 5 shovels of bit coal. I'm away all day, at least 12 hours, so I'm hoping to have a good fire left when I return so I can just thow on a couple splits that last until morning. Supposed to be 50f today!

In the low 20s out currently, house is 73. Going to let the stove cool down and clean it out before the arctic air moves in.

Reactions: Gearhead660
We had 29.8 out this morning, the basement temp was 72 with the temps up here at 67 & 68.

Five splits of beech started the day for us while we had coffee.

Reactions: MMH
you can have the amounts we're 'sposta get...
Haven't gotten much snow at all this winter. Just isn't winter without snow!
Kids need some to play in. Me too...

Haven't gotten much snow at all this winter. Just isn't winter without snow!
Kids need some to play in. Me too...
i just watch it fall, then move it outta the way.
however, i don't have to move it early anymore since i can enjoy my coffee (or beer) while it builds up.

and i'm done playing in it.

High will be in 50s next 2 days... this is such a strange winter. With this warmth tick population will be out of control this upcoming spring.

Just loaded up fully with locust and bricks for tonight since low is still around 37F. Probably not going to reload tomorrow morning and going to idle the stove for an evening fire tomorrow.

High will be in 50s next 2 days... this is such a strange winter. With this warmth tick population will be out of control this upcoming spring.

Just loaded up fully with locust and bricks for tonight since low is still around 37F. Probably not going to reload tomorrow morning and going to idle the stove for an evening fire tomorrow.
I’m in MA and this warm weather is crazy. That’s what I’ve been doing evening fires and using mini split heat pump in the morning. Cold again here Tuesday on so saving the large stuff and my red stone bricks for then. Got a small fire going now of maple, oak, and ash. Outside temp is only 38. STT about 500.

I'm in New England and generally burn hardwoods.

Neighbor had top of a large pine between us snap off. I cut up a lot of it. Burning that now. Hot and fast is right. Wow.

I had a large section of it all branched and ready to cut up. Neighbors has some trees by their driveway removed. They took the section I had ready while I was out. Damn!

It's 26.2 outside tonight with the basement temp starting out at 77, the sleeper is 68 and up here is 70.

We'll burn some pellets tonight. On Friday February 3, Accu has us with a low temp of minus 25.

Got the stove cleaned out and lit back up with pine. Lows headed for around 10 tonight some light snow into tomorrow then the arctic air hits. Coldest I can remember but haven’t fact checked it, and definitely glad I’m not further north. Found 2 rounds of mahogany left just in time! Moved wood for the cold air mass. It’ll be all mahogany and elm starting tomorrow evening, pine in for tonight. I might even entertain letting on of the faucets drizzle over night.

6201C44F-F614-4444-A571-05543C39B533.png
9146D176-E8F8-43BC-935E-84F97DFD09D3.jpeg
79D06086-3B1B-4E1F-8638-E7C3A51C7BF6.jpeg