What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Didn't load last night when I got home, still had good water temp. This morning, 26 hrs later, I still had enough fire to load up with oak, cherry, walnut, and elm. I don't separate my species like some do. Water temp went from 144f to 175f in 30 min. Gotta love the OWB running coal! Wish it was back at $100 a ton... Fast fire = wood, long fire = coal.

I had the pellet stove set at the highest setting on medium last night so the basement temp started out at 77 with the temp up here 69 and 70. The outside temp this morning was 23.7.

The wood stove has another five splits of beech going in it this morning.

Got the stove cleaned out and lit back up with pine. Lows headed for around 10 tonight some light snow into tomorrow then the arctic air hits. Coldest I can remember but haven’t fact checked it, and definitely glad I’m not further north. Found 2 rounds of mahogany left just in time! Moved wood for the cold air mass. It’ll be all mahogany and elm starting tomorrow evening, pine in for tonight. I might even entertain letting on of the faucets drizzle over night.

View attachment 308782
View attachment 308784
View attachment 308783
Looking good, how long would those rounds last you?

Red oak burning good.

It was CSS last April, stack was exposed on all sides, completely in the open, baked all day by the sun through a hot dry summer, and then covered all fall with the tarp grommets loosely laced up the sides for ventilation. This stuff is seasoned.

It's 18 out with a low of 9 forecast, the wife had been baking and made some chicken cutlets with pasta for supper so the temp up here was 72 most of the day. It's 69 at the moment so we'll burn some pellets tonight.

Reactions: MMH
Sorry, I was referring that whole stack of wood you got over there :)
Haha my apologies. If your referring to pic #2 that stack of elm and mahogany will probably go about 72 hours/5-6 cycles during normal winter temps. Times like this I wish I had the king model to really see how far I could stretch a big mahogany load. If your referring to pic #3 everything there will get me about a week. We’ve had arctic air before but not this cold so I’m also curious to see how long this lasts.

Tonight’s the coldest forecasted for -25. Currently -14. I have all interior doors and cabinets open with a faucet on. Loaded up tonight with 1 big mahogany round, some smaller mahogany limbs, 2 elm splits and 4 pine splits. Propane turned up a bit just in case.
3F9039D5-0841-4CDC-8FDC-024C17E4601D.jpeg

Woke up this morning around 5 when the propane kicked on. House was 68.5 in the main room and between 60-68 in the bedrooms, outside -30. I opened up the air to the stove and have been letting it cook off since. I turned the propane up temporarily to warm up the rooms. Will let the stove cook down some more and I’ll get about 16-18 hours of usable heat out of last nights load. All in all pretty impressive considering the temps. Highs for today of around 10 but still negatives with the wind chills. You know it’s cold when the pup is bundled up in front of the stove.
BF8DCF9B-42D1-4B36-9CA0-91EF51788F40.jpeg
6545A83B-61C1-493E-A341-D5520F3DE8E8.jpeg

Woke up this morning around 5 when the propane kicked on. House was 68.5 in the main room and between 60-68 in the bedrooms, outside -30. Highs for today of around 10 but still negatives with the wind chills. You know it’s cold when the pup is bundled up in front of the stove.
whereabouts are you in Nevada at minus 🥶 30?

We had 15 this morning with the temps up here 67 & 68 with the basement starting of at 74.

Back to burning beech in the wood stove this morning.

happiness is a warm home heated by a decent fire in a decent woodstove burning some decent hardwood oak.
love it when it's cold outside...
today01302023a.jpeg

...and you just brought in a load of more dry wood....
today01302023b.jpeg

...yet you can leave the doors/windows open for some fresh air...
today01302023c.jpeg

...while the warmth spreads throughout the home.
today01302023d.jpeg

happy Monday friends!
now to get that pile of dirt swept up before my reason for being arrives home...

Last edited:
Red oak still burning well. I have a new focus on burning down coals to ash on full primary air - from reading this forum. Makes difference in the 2.0 cu.ft. QuadraFire stove. Just fed in two medium splits, after corralling some remaining coals, secondary air wide open. One more day of the cold front. Closest thing to mahogany I’ve ever seen is ipe wood, really dense, made a great wetland boardwalk material.

I’m in the northeast corner, my county borders Idaho/Utah.
nice!
we drove thru ely 93 to jerome then a whole buncha funky roads til we got lost ... eventually made it home..
beautiful are you are in...

It's 20.1 tonight heading to single digits, the basement temp is starting off at 79 and the temps up here are between 69 & 72.

I just started the pellet stove for the night and shut the fan off on the wood stove.

Nothing it's been ridiculously warm here this winter. I typically burn 4 cords or so a year and I've only burned 1.75 cords so far. It would be even less but with the new insane electricity costs I've been using the stove more and heat pump less on 40 degree days. Unless we get a very cold February this is going to be my lowest usage year to date.

nice!
we drove thru ely 93 to jerome then a whole buncha funky roads til we got lost ... eventually made it home..
beautiful are you are in...
Yeah there is some pretty gems tucked away back here. Ely to Jerome on 93, so when you made it to Wells (if you went that route) I’m about 40-50 ish miles southwest of there against the Ruby mountains.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Returned to the Northwoods today. Got the truck stuck, spent 3 1/2 hours snowblowing the driveway and digging the truck out with 1 degree above temp & -20 wind-chill, failing miserably at getting the temps up inside with the Stratford II. -13 currently, going down to -20 with -30 wind-chill. Probably just going to turn the thermostat up... Takes a lot of BTU's to warm up all the walls with these temperatures and no sun. Load of beech and ash about to go in. Started with aspen and pine and just kept stuffing more in to keep it firing, but was not very effective.