What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How do you like it/how does it burn?
It’s great, actually. It sparks a lot but I kinda like that when it’s in an insert versus an open fireplace or campfire where the sparks are burning holes in my shirt…I feel like it pours heat out, coals really nicely and lasts a long time with relatively little ash. The main reason I burn so much though is because there is so much of it dead and standing near my house.

Currently -11 out with windchill it’s -23, lowest I had last night was -28. Furnace kicked on right about same time this morning so I got up to stoke Dorothy and open the air up. I have a metric heap of coals that’ll take a while to burn down. I’ll start today with pine.
E1D67859-9588-4547-B9DC-E0A8B50CAF9B.jpeg

It’s great, actually. It sparks a lot but I kinda like that when it’s in an insert versus an open fireplace or campfire where the sparks are burning holes in my shirt…I feel like it pours heat out, coals really nicely and lasts a long time with relatively little ash. The main reason I burn so much though is because there is so much of it dead and standing near my house.
Good deal. I have choke cherry around in my area as well. I’ve never cut any though, it’s usually shrub form here but occasionally you find some bigger. Yeah one of the only natural hardwoods I have in my area is curl leaf mountain mahogany. I usually cut about 1/4-3/4 cord per year.

Reactions: Stove Cricket
Finally got some flakes of snow this morning, but not enough to cover up any ground colors and probably will melt by afternoon.

About 1/3 of stove still left from last night's reload of locust, turned up air and had good lazy flames.. so this is about 11hrs after reload.

But time to get to work and I won't be able to tend the stove next couple of hours, so tossed in 3 medium sized locust. This will be enough to keep living room around 65F until early afternoon.

-20 still at 9am. Not a ton of coals left from the beech & ash last night so I'll start with hardwood today and switch to softwood later, then hardwood again before bed. Will get some help from the sun during the day.

We had an outside temp of 11.1 this morning with the temp in the basement starting off at 77 and the temps up here 69 & 70.

I shut the pellet stove off this morning and we're back burning beech in the wood stove.

It's 4.3 tonight with NOAA calling for a low of -7. The basement temp is starting out at 77 with the temps up here at 68 & 69.

The fan on the wood stove is off and the pellet stove is on for the night.

Reactions: MMH and NickW
Calling for 0-5 tonight for the low. Currently 1 with the wind chill making it -6. Tonight should be last night of really cold air, followed by cold air tomorrow then a heat wave of highs in the 30s and low in the 20s for a few days. Hopefully that’ll help thaw the tractor out. Tonight is a load of pine as I’m still burning down a mountain of coals.

About mid-20s tonight. Full reload around 10:30pm with 8 pieces of biobricks and couple medium locust splits. Past couple mornings I've woken up to "too much coal", so if by chance I wake up to pee around 4~5am I'll open up air a bit more to burn down coal and release more BTUs into house without pressure of maintaining specific Fahrenheit.

Friday is going to be -5F... I need the least-intrusive way of removing as much ash by Thur morning anyway.

I'm beyond irritated. Wife left front door open last night after letting dog out. 50F in living room, 43F in kitchen, and half of kitchen frosted over. Reloaded stove (about 1/3 coals) with couple splits of oak. Turned on oil furnace as well to recover.

50F in living room because that's my thermostat setting. I was wondering why the furnace was kicking on so much last night while in bed.

Oak. Stacking the oak inside tonight for the cold front coming through the next few days. To bad back into the upper 40s next week. This winter is terrible in New England. Guess I'll get a couple days of pond skating with my kids.

We had minus 1.8 this morning with the basement temp starting out at 77, the sleeper was 67 and the rooms out here 68 & 69.

I shut the pellet stove off and just started a fire before lunch.

Reactions: MMH
Honey Locust and Hickory the last few days here in NE Wisconsin.

I shut the fan off on the wood stove and turned the pellet stove on for the night. The basement temp is starting out at 79, the sleeper never warmed up much today, it's only 66 and the temps up here 68 & 69.

Reactions: MMH
23 outside and our little PE Vista is driving us out of the house 78 on main floor! Cracked a window. Started the morning with house at 66. Cold start with cherry, oak maple and red stone brick at 7:30 am. Now burning a mix of hardwood. Upstairs our cape is 73. This little stove rocks.

Currently 0 out, house is around 69. Supposed to be in the high 20s today which will be first heat wave. Threw some pine elm and last piece of mahogany in the stove. It’ll burn out today as I go back to work.

We had 20.7 this morning with the basement temp starting out at 75 and the temps up here 68 to 70.

I shut the P.S. off and started a fire in the wood stove with some beech.

Reactions: NickW and MMH
Supposed to 6degrees at dawn with a -10 to -12 windchill..so the Princess got filled to the gills with locust..next week is bringing much milder temps and it will be a oak and ash mix to I can conserve my locust stash

We've had a few snowsqualls tonight with the colder temps coming in, the winds are humping it up pretty good, a tree came down across the road north of here.

We're going with the pellet stove tonight for the constant heat, the temp in the basement is 75 with the temps up here 70 & 71 the last I looked.

Our high for today was 26.6, it was just 25.3 the last I looked.

Reactions: NickW