What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was thinking too wishfully last week. High only reached 40 today and the heat pump couldn't keep up. So some hemlock and a scavenged bucket of coal from the old pile went in. Brought in 3 slings more hem for tomorrow which looks to be the end of this cold snap. Call it the opposite of Indian summer!

I had been having some pine fires but overnight we ran the pellet stove for heat. The outside temp was just above 32 this morning with the basement temp at 73 and the temps up here 69 & 70.

I shut the pellet stove off and started a fire in the wood stove with two splits of beech, ash and pine.

Hemlock fire winding down for a few days. Kind of under estimated the sun's power this morning so it's 76 here in the office. Brought inside what is hopefully the last 1/2 face cord for the 3 day cold snap beginning Sunday.

The wireless needed a recharge (it was dead) so the temp this morning was around 30, we ran some pellets overnight so the temp up here was 70.

Tonight I'll run a pine fire, the temp in the morning should be between 36 to 39. The temps we'll be getting after the weekend will require us to bring in more pine tomorrow.

No fires for me the last 2 nights because I didn't want to mess with the mortar for the Ditra and tile 😭. Heading home tomorrow.

Reactions: thewoodlands
No fires for me the last 2 nights because I didn't want to mess with the mortar for the Ditra and tile 😭. Heading home tomorrow.
You've had a crazy winter/spring so far, what type of outdoor temps are you getting?

Upper 70's to low 80's last week, 30's & 40's the last 5 days with overnight in the 20's. We had about 6" on the ground here from the Sunday to Monday storm, but it's mostly gone now. Just west of here supposedly got 19", but who knows how much was actually on the ground. Next week is supposed to warm up a little with highs in the 50's and 30's overnight. Not supposed to see 60 again for a couple of weeks.

We had a high of 73 today, we're getting some heavy rains moving through every so often tonight, we needed it.

Next week it looks like we'll be burning some pine again.

Have been having medium size hardwood or mixed loads overnight and then mixed or crap wood in the morning. Have decided it's not worth trying to milk the coals during the day to load on for overnight anymore, so cold starts in the evening. Looks like several weeks of this yet here in SE WI, probably even longer in the Northwoods.

Have been having medium size hardwood or mixed loads overnight and then mixed or crap wood in the morning. Have decided it's not worth trying to milk the coals during the day to load on for overnight anymore, so cold starts in the evening. Looks like several weeks of this yet here in SE WI, probably even longer in the Northwoods.
What was the temps like last year at your house? We're colder this year compared to last April.

Fairly normal. Very up and down which is what this time of year typically is here. Solar production was down in January but up a little in February and March. April is already over last April. Last year was a bit low overall for solar production. Better solar production means clearer skies which means cooler nights in spring. Feel like I will end up with my typical 4+/- cord burned.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It has been a cold spring in the north east. Have been putting lots of 5 yr old “punk” hemlock/beech/maple to keep the digs warm (when I am there). It is working out very well.

It's 37.4 tonight with three splits of beech and one of ash in for the overnight load. We brought a load of not so great pine in today, we'll see how many days that gets us.

Reactions: NickW
It’s been in the low 30s for overnight lows here and warming up to the upper 50s during the day.
I’ve just been doing just morning fires with a mix of pine and ash to warm everything up. House warms to the mid 70s during the day. But I’m waking up to the house being at 61. Just can’t go back to the overnight burns this late in the season.

We had 33.2 this morning with the temps up here at 68, more pine went in the wood stove for heat today.

Hickory, ash, and birch. Raining and cold today.

It was 28 this morning, more pine went in the wood stove.