What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
I’m try

I’m trying to confuse my stove. Don’t worry, its been split and properly seasoned.
Rum and crushed ice? (and NOT the spiced rum crap!)

Grizzerbear

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura
We stayed right at 32 last night with post oak for the overnight load. I went outside to grab some wood off porch around 9:30pm and it was snowin crazy. It wasnt forcasted either so i was totally caught off guard and we ended up with 3 inches. Anywho its still 32 with red oak splits and a good round of black jack goin this mornin.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
Can't believe how mild our winter has been! Supposedly Friday night is supposed to be a cool one at -1 we will see but that will be our first negative temp this winter. Last winter was a little different with probably close to the whole month of Jan, and some of Feb all in the single digits.

Right now the stove is stuffed with Ash and couple splits of Cherry.

Grizzerbear

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura
I stuffed the stove with post oak last night. This morning its 22 and windy. I got a mix of post oak and black jack going right now. I assume its going to be cold for most folks here on hearth with this arctic plunge. We will be dropping temps all day today...
Its suppose to be somwhere in the single digits here tonight with negative wind chills.

Reactions: JimBear

tadmaz

Feeling the Heat
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
Similar weather to JimBear. Red oak and a piece of ironwood. Using my good stuff.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Foothills of The Adirondacks
We had 29.4 this morning with another load of the maples providing the heat, once the coals burn down the ashes will get cleaned out and we'll start burning some maple with american hophornbeam ( people in this neck of the woods call it hard hack.)

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
8 degrees now, headed for 12 below tonight. Red elm now but before I go to bed I will be packing it with oak again, it burns longer. Like I say, all wood has the same btu per pound, so length of burn is key in this weather.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
We had 29.4 this morning with another load of the maples providing the heat, once the coals burn down the ashes will get cleaned out and we'll start burning some maple with american hophornbeam ( people in this neck of the woods call it hard hack.)
Hophornbeam, (ironwood around here) burns unbelievably hot and long! I love it. For reference, but a chunk on the lathe, it is magnificent! Polishes up like metal! With no finish!

Reactions: thewoodlands

fvhowler

May 4, 2018
Heart of NC
Cold stove right now. 70* today in central NC but may cool down by the weekend. Ready to start burning again. On deck are white oak, post oak and hickory.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
Cold stove right now. 70* today in central NC but may cool down by the weekend. Ready to start burning again. On deck are white oak, post oak and hickory.
it isn't even 70 in my living room!

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
You mean out door fire pits correct.

Reactions: fvhowler

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Wasn’t it -61f in North Dakota yesterday?

MMH

Jan 21, 2019
NV
temps have been in 40-50 range and 20s at night; let Dorothy go out for the day, starting to cool off so I’ll have a small fire for the evening and stuff her for bed. Yes I named the stove Dorothy ;lol