What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We were supposed to be at 5 above, but we were -4 instead. More mystery wood in the Fisher.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Burning end of the year alder. Terrible ashy stuff. After burning 4 cord of honey locust and hard maple all season I hate to switch over but it’s all I got to get through the remainder of the season. When I burn the good stuff I empty ash every 2-3 weeks. This crap is like every 2-3 days.

Reactions: Todd67
NOAA is calling for -3 tonight so we'll add ironwood on top of some beech for the overnight fire.

Reactions: woodey and Todd67
We had - 1 this morning, the liberty received a load of beech and some maple.

We are a older couple that has been married for 50 years. WE just love our Fisher because it keeps the house at 80 degrees when it is colder out. Wife likes it warmer and I find that as we are older we do like the house warmer. It's forecast to be around 20 this next week so I have the the ready wood pile stocked up. The best here is white oak with red oak a close second. Elm and ash are also good and maple is almost as good. I think hickory and pecan are poor because in one night it well fill the stove with ashes even though it does have good heat. Absolute all time best is dogwood but there isn't a huge amount around. I still cut and split hickory because I sell it to the people that like to smoke their food. There is lots of southern yellow pine around but we don't burn it because there are other better woods around. I am a slave to the wood stove but the outside work does keep me young. David

Reactions: Todd67
NOAA is calling for a low of 12 so the liberty has a load of beech,yellow birch,maple with ironwood filling out the top row.

We had 12.9 this morning so the we loaded up the liberty with beech and some soft maple. It looks like we'll have another cold week coming at us so we'll save the ironwood for that and the overnight fires.

NOAA is calling for a low of 20 tonight with the liberty getting some yellow birch and soft maple for the overnight fire.

Have a mix in ours...pine, oak, & cherry. Wifey is chilly so warm fire it is.

Sent from my Mobile Interwebbery Thingy

We had 21 this morning with a load of sugar and soft maple going in the liberty.

Woodlands, you sure are diligent about posting what your liberty is eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Yep, but hopefully it won't be long until mother nature will do the heating. It should be more of the same types of wood this week with the liberty seeing more ironwood for this cold stretch coming in.

Load for tomorrow night when's it's going to 2°F and I get to drink some beers in the garage!!!! Yahoo!!!! ......its the little things.

20190303_121247.jpg

We had 18 this morning so the first splits I grabbed were soft maple which I loaded up the liberty with, we'll start on the beech and ironwood next.

We'll have one rack open inside so we'll put more wood in today.

Looked at the 7 day and for the rest of the work week I will be burning Ash. I tried to load her with only Cherry and Red Maple but it wasn't cutting it in the single digits and wind. Pretty amazing how much of a difference those BTUs are and how they heat. Right now she is burning away a full load of Ash and will for the rest of the week.

NOAA has a low of 3 for us, I loaded the liberty with a bottom row of beech with some american hophornbeam (ironwood) on top.

Cold night last night, woke up to -1*F house was a cool 63* so a load of Ash it was. This cool weather has me wishing for Spring, I figure I have about 1 month left of burning hoping April is a little warmer.

I’m all out of good dry wood. From here on out it’s pine heartwood (sapwood was soaking wet) that will burn ok as well as some almost dry magnolia and some dogwood limbs and sticks. It’s not too cold here. It will freeze tonight but shouldn’t be to hard on the flowers though. Fruit trees could take a blow though.

We had - 3 this morning with more beech and some ironwood putting out the heat this morning.

We had -4 this morning with the liberty seeing another load of beech..

We had - 7 this morning with the liberty seeing more beech,yellow birch and sugar maple.

A Fire OH maple and red Oak

We had 0.9 this morning with the last of the yellow birch going in the liberty.