What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here on out looks like 80's here. Hopefully will be switching out stoves within this next week since shouldn't need any heat.

I had my first Bat this evening. Heard something last night & thought it was a mouse that fell in from the roof top. It made it right into the firebox of my Fireview . I reached in with the fire gloves and released it outside. Good to have them around to eat those nasty ticks.

Pic below is not it , just a download to add some visual.

bat-DMID1-5ekxu39dl-640x360.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
I had my first Bat this evening. Heard something last night & thought it was a mouse that fell in from the roof top. It made it right into the firebox of my Fireview . I reached in with the fire gloves and released it outside. Good to have them around to eat those nasty ticks.

View attachment 244430

Wow, that must have been exciting. I found a slug on some of my kindling I recently brought in. The little guy freaked me out and it fell in the firebox. I rinsed the wood ash off, so he wouldn't get a chemical burn, and released him into the wild as well. Much less exciting than a bat!

Wow, that must have been exciting

A little exciting - glad my dog did not alert to it as he would have never given up. I had flying squirrels in the attic years ago now that was exciting.

Just noticed with-in your signature " Squirrel Power" -- please do tell us the meaning ?

Reactions: SpaceBus
A little exciting - glad my dog did not alert to it as he would have never given up. I had flying squirrels in the attic years ago now that was exciting.

Just noticed with-in your signature " Squirrel Power" -- please do tell us the meaning ?

Haha, nothing exciting, my stove has red squirrels cast into the sides, it's a Morso 2B Classic, I should probably specify. There is a hole in our house currently (minor surprise renovation) and every once in a while a squirrel gets into the ceiling over the first floor. This isn't too surprising since there's basically a squirrel colony around our house. Usually some banging with the swiffer (this is now its job) on the ceiling usually scares them out. Over the winter one got stuck in there for several days. Our dogs don't care even a tiny bit. Even our so called rat terrier does nothing. There's actually a shrew I've been trying to catch on my game camera, the dogs just watch it run through the house.

Edit: caught a shrew shaped blur on the game camera. It can apparently travel 3-4 feet in 0.4 seconds.

Last edited:
Haven't had bats in the house for about 20 years. Usually you do have to catch them to get them outside. I never try to kill them in the process. Once you find out how many insects they eat you would want more of them.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
We have about three splits of pine , three small rounds of maple an a round of ironwood I'll burn tonight, just so I won't have to take them outside.

Haven't had bats in the house for about 20 years. Usually you do have to catch them to get them outside. I never try to kill them in the process. Once you find out how many insects they eat you would want more of them.

Sort of spoke too soon. Had to retrieve one from neighbors house a few days ago. Found it sleeping in crack baseboard moulding and baseboard heating element. Guess when he bared his teeth ment he wasn't happy being disturbed. Set him free outside to eat more skeeters.

Reactions: Lakeside
I have 4 Bat houses now and quite a colony
little brown Bats . Now and again we get one
in the house try to get him to a spare room
open window remove screen close door .
By morning he has found his way out .
Love to have them around . They make it
possible to sit out in the evening not get
chewed up by Skidders

Last edited:
ashes

The end is close, I feel it.

Attachments

• 20190530_092407.jpg
    20190530_092407.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 318
I have 4 Bat houses now and quite a colony
little brown Bats . Now and again we get one
in the house try to get him to a spare room
open window remove screen close door .
By morning he has found his way out .
Love to have them around . They make it
possible to sit out in the evening not not get
chewed up by Skidders

Don't think we need the houses, plenty of bats here but think there is no such thing as too many. We gave a bat house to a neighbor many years ago but they since retired to western N.C. and new neighbors took it down.

ash and pistachio nut shells

Hit 34 tonight, house dropped to 62. A little early to fire up the beast, but I figured a little pine/ash/hickory combo to clean out the pipes wouldn’t hurt.

I haven’t seen my stoves since I closed my fireplace doors in May. I still need to shovel out last years ashes and clean the pipe, but given they’re made by Blaze King, there’s a chance that May’s last fire is still going behind those closed doors. [emoji14]

ad3f34dcb54de9f0d3f0ca18fa2bc297.jpg

It was 43 this morning, but I refuse to get a fire going when the high will be in the low 70's today.

Never ending summer here. Looks to stay 85-90 for the near future.

Never ending summer here. Looks to stay 85-90 for the near future.

Same here. Low to mid 80s for the foreseeable future. Headed over to Munich to drink to beer for Oktoberfest until early October, hoping it will cool off here by then. Maybe have that first fire mid October.

Same here. Low to mid 80s for the foreseeable future. Headed over to Munich to drink to beer for Oktoberfest until early October, hoping it will cool off here by then. Maybe have that first fire mid October.
Spaten, Dortmunder alles gut!

Now that I have Natural Gas and a new 96% efficient furnace, I plan on burning only at night, obviously when it's the coldest, and for the enjoyment. I'll still keep my wood shed full, just in case the SHTF. But the panic of hearing our old furnace kicking on when we were on the pig is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavy hammer

View attachment 244430
I like bats as long as they don't bother me, but they eat don't ticks just mosquitoes and other flying insects. Opossums on the other hand will each a lot of ticks, that have been aweful this year.