What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Only getting up into the teens today. Oak and ash it is.

We had 28 this morning with hard & soft maple going in the Liberty. Starting tonight the windchill might hit minus 20 to 25 so we'll get a few rounds of American Hophornbeam in with some Sugar Maple for the overnight load,

Well I have a mix of Ash, Oak and Mulberry going tonite with 35 and a 25 mph wind out of the northwest. Low tonite supposed to be around 25 with a continued stiff wind. Hopefully this colder dry air will dry out my seasoned wood that got damp from the last two weeks of rain and fog.

We're at 8 degrees tonight with NOAA calling for - 2 for a low, I have four splits of Yellow Birch with two nice rounds of American Hophornbeam (Ironwood) going in the Liberty.

It's going to hover around 32 pretty well all day here and then climb to 40 tonite with rain before it cools back off tomorro. I loaded the stove with post, red, and black jack oak this morning before heading out.

We had minus 7.2 this morning with it just hitting zero back here, we have some yellow birch,sugar and soft maple going.

We hit minus 9.2 last night before the temp reversed itself, we had -1 this morning. Last night I burned a bag of pellets with the wood stove getting some sugar maple this morning after I shut the pellet stove down.

Finally got some proper winter weather around here; snow and sleet with temps in the twenties. Got a load of shagbark hickory in. Have to say I'm not super impressed. I've been burning a ton of ash and only got the hickory by dumb luck, but it's not throwing heat like the ash. Coals up nice though.

It's 17.1 tonight with four splits of yellow birch renting the bottom row for the night and three big rounds of american hophornbeam filling out the top row.

We had 17.4 this morning with a load of sugar maple seeing some action in the Liberty, we've dropped to 12.5 today with a minus 3 expected in the morning.

It's 9.9 tonight with NOAA calling for a low of minus 2, I'll burn a bag of pellets in the P.S. and a few rounds of American Hophornbeam tonight which will give us some nice coals for tomorrow morning in the Liberty,

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH
Actually 135 year old dimension cut Douglas Fir. That means it was cut about 135 years ago from likely old growth on the west coast and brought east on rail. These were rafters from an old lean-to porch I removed from the back of the house many years ago and stored in a shed for future use. Future use never came and likely won't for most of it so firewood it is. A local vintage lumber company had no real interest in it even for free. It burns realitively well. The dimension cut is 4 1/4" X 2 1/4".

We had minus 7.4 this morning with a high of 11.7 today, this mornings fire was all sugar maple.

Last night I put a bag of pellets in the P.S. and then put it on manual feed with the fan and temp on high, we had a temp on the first floor of 73 with the floor temps at 75.....might just do that again tonight.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear