What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 23.4 this morning with some snow and wind, the first fire was a mixture of soft maple and ash.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I have a load of hornbeam for the Mansfield tonight , 2 yrs old stored inside like fine wine waiting to be drunk

Red Elm last night & thru this little cold snap thru Thursday. Low teens to single digits @ night, upper teens - low 20’s daytime. after this snap back to upper 30’s & low 40’s daytime temps.

You really have to watch the weather these days. Relative warm yesterday. Was about to put three hemlock splits for the day. Wait a minute......the temp is to drop like a rock for the next 24h. Sugar maple it is then.

Currently 2 outside with the “feels like” at -11, house is 71.5. Dorothy is still cruising I’ll let it burn down for the day

7F682D93-01CC-4783-8C89-B2FA5C888D9D.jpeg

All I have left is red oak. It's been so mild this winter I've gone through my 2 cords of white pine. It's going to be 39 today, so red oak. (Normally, this is white pine territory for me.) It will be 9 tomorrow night, so red oak.

The last couple cold nights I've been waking up in the morning to a 65* house. About 5* cooler than normal with the single digit nights and heavy winds. I'm quite impressed how well the house is holding the heat.

Wife loaded up the stove this morning with some ash. Looking like I will need to grab another cord from my father's. I was hoping to get by the rest of the winter on this load but don't think that is going to happen.

We had 24.8 this morning with another load of the maples going in the Liberty this morning. Accu has a low of 5 tonight so we'll go with some sugar maple and ironwood.

Tomorrow Accu has a high of 14 with a low of 3, we'll burn the same lineup tomorrow.

I put a small warm up load of post oak in when i got home today and thats what will be in the 74 for the overnight load. I've burned a lot of post oak this year and honestly im gettin bored with it but wood heat is wood heat i reckon. Next year is gunna be a lil more variety with a good balance of 4 year old red oak, black jack, white oak, hickory, and a lil stash of loblolly pine actually. Pine trees are sacred around here with so very few and never get cut down so it will be nice to burn some again in shoulders.

Reactions: thewoodlands
20 below wind chills projected for the night. I just stuffed about 60 or 70
pounds of red oak, well aged, after standing dead for a few years into the stove. Iron kettle has a gallon and a half of water in it, both of which will be gone by morning, no problem, there will be plenty of coals. Fortunately, I emptied the ashes this morning.

NOAA has us hitting -3 in the morning but I'm thinking it will be colder, sugar maple with some ironwood in the wood stove and one bag of pellets in the p.s.

I was walking the dog down the driveway when I heard a crunch in the snow in the woods but I kept walking the dog until we heard the coyote, once I got our dog settled down we made it back. I'm thinking the yote ended up on the east side of the house but we heard the crunch in the snow on the west side of the house and later on a howl coming from the east side where the deer like to bed down.

We had -6.3 this morning with some chitty maple (it was at the bottom of the rack) with a few rounds of ironwood going in the Liberty.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
I have a fire laid in for later consisting of 8 small splits of poplar, 3 handfuls of sticks, an old pair of jeans, and old pair of flannel pajama pants, some cardboard, a couple pages of newspapers, and a bunch of old school assignments my son emptied out of his backpack. I’ll throw a match on it tonight.

Reactions: MissMac
We have 25.3 tonight with more soft and sugar maple going in the Liberty.

27F here this early AM. Elm load from supper time yesterday still has 3 or 4 hours to go. This warm weather is a relief. Heading for almost 40F today followed by 2 days of 40F. Thinking we have made the turn towards spring to a extent.