What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's 48 and dropping and with the temps tomorrow only hitting 38 or 39 I started a fire tonight, we have some cherry and maple going.

I think we had a high of 64 or 65 today so the house was still 72 tonight from the fire we had last night.

Same here had good temps last few days lows weren’t even terrible (30s) but temp tonight is dropping like a brick, in low 20s and still goin will be around 10 for the low. Couple little rounds of juniper and mahogany in with the pine tonight

266AAE37-8070-43B4-8696-1C78050DAB9D.jpeg

Still burning ash with walnut. A little maple here and there. I have been working a lot these past couple of weeks 16 hour days with the wind and some of our lines burning down from a storm a few weeks ago so the wife has been doing a good job keeping the house warm for when I get home. A couple of the cold days were tough nothing better than a warm stove to come home to. I fell asleep in front of the Kuma in the basement for a few hours the one night on the tile floor with the labs I was so cold and worn out.

Cooled down today and this evening 40 degrees right now I'm betting down to low to mid 30's by morning. I let the house get cold this afternoon in hope of some solar gains, no dice. House got to 60 degrees and it was time to light up. Started off with some red oak limbs moved on to some white oak heart wood. House is up to 75 degrees now. I still have to learn this stove. I would like to keep it about 70 but not have to start off with a cold box when reloading. My house is really small 1300sqft (if that) and this Mansfield is a lot of stove. I have still not yet fully loaded the stove, most I have loaded is probably about 1/4 full.

Had another little cold front move through today with cold air behind it for the next few days, highs 30s lows in the teens or lower. Got off work this morning and house was 60, got stove goin and threw a decent pine round in stove cruised on that all day. Now we’re a good 72 in the house; I’ll stuff her full of pine for the night fire.

Another cold rainy night, some ash and a little walnut with maple.

How does the Walnut burn? I’ve never burned any, but my neighbors yard is full of them, so I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before one comes down and I’ll be able to snag some.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Rainy night. Perfect weather to sit by stove. Full of Ash for tonight.

Attachments

• 16062788791115842107904473779662.jpg
    16062788791115842107904473779662.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 85
The morning reload; 2 red oak , 2 white oak, and 3 hickory splits. All lovingly aged 3 years, and combine to make a satisfying glow in the belly of our 91 Buck. I expect this load to last till this evening. Life is good.

Jay106n the walnut burns great. I just notice a lot of ash. The wood seems to leave a large amount of fluffy white ash once burned but other than that I like it.

Been burning 1/2 loads of silver maple as needed during the day, mix of ash and silver maple overnights. Highs have been close to 50, lows in the 20's or 30's. Been burning off & on since Oct 2nd. Have only gone through about 1/2 cord of mostly softwood.

I cleaned out both stoves and filled the garage back up today as filling the kindling barrel up. we have 50 and rain so I have a few ash splits in the basement stove. I probably won't fire up the upstairs one till tonight. Me and the dogs spent some time in the woos this afternoon doing some retrieves so now a warm stove feels good. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone