What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Attachments

• 64879882-64E1-49B2-BC42-642FDE69DF5C.jpeg
    64879882-64E1-49B2-BC42-642FDE69DF5C.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: thewoodlands
A cold rainy week I have been small ash splits with cedar and some odd ball pieces here and there to keep the house warm. Winter isn't over yet.

It's a type of red oak. They have a unique characteristic of having a lot of dead limbs near the bottom half of a perfectly healthy tree. Makes some beautiful milled lumber.

Great link too !

"excellent source of heat for barbecues and wood-burning stoves. However, the wood is not desirable for wood fireplaces because the heat causes popping, thereby increasing the risk of house fires."

Looks like Wikipedia maybe over reacting to the popping.

Learned something new today --- Thanks -- Always learning

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Great link too !

"excellent source of heat for barbecues and wood-burning stoves. However, the wood is not desirable for wood fireplaces because the heat causes popping, thereby increasing the risk of house fires."

Looks like Wikipedia maybe over reacting to the popping.

Learned something new today --- Thanks -- Always learning

Hmmmm....yea that's funny. I've never known it to pop much. Its excellent firewood.

The forecast called for snow this morning, and by golly they got it right. It's moderately falling right now. A fire while it's snowing is traditional, so I've got oak and elm going.

@Grizzerbear, I was at Truman last week for the first time, I've heard it's a lot like Mark Twain Lake, and it is just a lot bigger. I had beginners luck with snagging. Stay warm!

We had fairly heavy snow most of the morning, then flurries and some sleet until mid-afternoon. With a low of 28 tonight and freeze warnings, and a low of 29 tomorrow night and frost, and highs in the upper 50's the rest of the week..... well, the stove is still keeping us warm. Mostly oak.

Earlier today my wife said, "I love our stove". That alone makes all the hard work worth while!

Thought I was done for the season...NOPE..Heavy snow fall all afternoon with a low of 27 tonight and 30 tomorrow night..just stuffed the stove full of locust and oak and the wife is grinning from ear to ear.. :)

Been running insert with Cottonwood all week, had a cold snap. Never burned it before. Works well for shoulder season. Don't know if I would go out of my way to harvest any, but since it fell in my yard...

The temp should be around 28 in the morning with a load of Pine going in the Liberty at the moment and then some hardwood for the overnight load. I have two rounds of Ironwood left from what we brought in near the end of February which will go in with some Maple and Cherry.

We had a low of 29.5 this morning, we ran the propane fireplace while having coffee.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
My wife casually said "it's chilly in here today" with her "where is my fire" eyes lol. It was 52 degrees out so I held strong and we let the heat pump work. We keep it on 65 this time of year and just rock sweatshirts . Much cooler than the 70-72 during burning season but manageable...I just hate burning when I don't need to it feels wasteful and the chimney sucks (well, doesn't suck lol) when its so nice out.

Bottom line: pray for me. ;lol

My wife casually said "it's chilly in here today" with her "where is my fire" eyes lol. It was 52 degrees out so I held strong and we let the heat pump work. We keep it on 65 this time of year and just rock sweatshirts . Much cooler than the 70-72 during burning season but manageable...I just hate burning when I don't need to it feels wasteful and the chimney sucks (well, doesn't suck lol) when its so nice out.

Build a fire for the wife or we won't pray! ::P

Reactions: MoDoug

Sounds like something I would do, and end up feeling guilty about it.. then I find some way to make up for it, then all's good.

however.. as a backup plan..
prayers sent..