What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Goose52

Apr 28, 2014
NE WI
My wife casually said "it's chilly in here today" with her "where is my fire" eyes lol. It was 52 degrees out so I held strong and we let the heat pump work. We keep it on 65 this time of year and just rock sweatshirts . Much cooler than the 70-72 during burning season but manageable...I just hate burning when I don't need to it feels wasteful and the chimney sucks (well, doesn't suck lol) when its so nice out.

Bottom line: pray for me. ;lol
I hear ya... trying to get by with the heat pump here too but living in a cottage on a slab makes it hard to get to 70 which makes for an unhappy wife. the woodbox etc all put away in the shed but eventually i ran out & grabbed a coupla armloads of beech n some kindling. wife is happy and i'm working up a sweat watching tv. happy wife happy life? ehhh not so sure.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I'm officially shutdown for the season, for the 2nd time! It's official this time!

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
We are still having a few fires here and there just burning up what is left in the garage during the cold nights. We will see 30's tonight so I'll fire both stoves up with some cedar and ash splits to keep the house warm.

Reactions: MoDoug

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
Norway maple. I always tell myself to scrounge more of the lighter maples like norway or silver for the shoulder season. In my opinion they are perfect for this time of year.

Reactions: MoDoug and Riff

MongoMongoson

Feb 6, 2021
Wisconsin
Boxelder, other soft maple (a little punky), and one small split of ironwood.... I know different species are called ironwood depending on where you are located. This is hop hornbeam.

The stove has been down for about a week as it has been warm... But the house is getting chilly again and the next few days we are supposed to be in the 30s at night.

Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
The wife was cold and it might be around 32 tonight so I fired the stove up again! Just some odd shaped pieces of oak and ash. It's nice seeing the fire again I missed it these past several weeks.

20210507_195645_HDR.jpg

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
We have had temps in the 40's and mid 30's at night I have been splitting up what is left in the garage. Locust splits and some cedar splits have been feeding the stoves the last couple of nights. Last Sunday we had temps in the 80's. I'm hoping spring comes back soon.

Reactions: JimBear and MoDoug

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I had a Starling in my stove this morning, last year it was a Bluebird over Memorial Day weekend.
Year before last I pulled out 3 starlings and a sparrow before the start of the season...my bird screen had blown off over the summer...lol

• Wow
Reactions: JimBear and MoDoug