What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mongo how do you do that sugar maple stuff--Is the old Quaker some kind of old stove? Sounds different...clancey
Not sure what you mean about the sugar maple. The Quaker is an old smoke dragon stove that has been in this cabin for decades.

Attachments

• 20210801_231730.jpg
    20210801_231730.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 95
Yea I figured it out and you were talking about sugar maple wood in the stove--lol... Now your "old Quaker" is a masterpiece of "art work"--wow...Never saw a stove quiet like that one...Thanks for sharing and its a beautiful stove and sure hoping it never sugar maples your home with all the dragon smoke...thanks..enjoy the cool temperatures..clancey

Our temps are heading down to around 45 so the wife wanted a fire, we have some pine going in the Lopi Liberty tonight.

80 today, baseball practice with my son, 76 now. Watched the international space station fly by around 7.30 while the kids were in the pool and I was sitting at the outside fireplace where some pine was going and smelling nicely.

80 today, baseball practice with my son, 76 now. Watched the international space station fly by around 7.30 while the kids were in the pool and I was sitting at the outside fireplace where some pine was going and smelling nicely.
That sounds great. Any temps in the 40's, we're burning a fire at night and in the morning.

That sounds great. Any temps in the 40's, we're burning a fire at night and in the morning.

Yes, and I'm jealous .
I have to figure out when to switch from the minisplit heat pump to the stove and not burning more than 2-2.5 cords per season (space constraint per the significant other...). But I ran the ac a bit today...

Reactions: thewoodlands
Yes, and I'm jealous .
I have to figure out when to switch from the minisplit heat pump to the stove and not burning more than 2-2.5 cords per season (space constraint per the significant other...). But I ran the ac a bit today...
When we had our house built in 2003, we needed the a/c for a week but we're running it almost a month lately.

We haven't run the a/c and the dehumidifier in a few weeks so the good old electric bill should be a lot less.

When we had our house built in 2003, we needed the a/c for a week but we're running it almost a month lately.

We haven't run the a/c and the dehumidifier in a few weeks so the good old electric bill should be a lot less.

The dehumidifier is still running almost daily in the basement. But the sky is bluer, so the humidity is getting less. Minisplit (ac and heat) was only installed a year and a half ago, but the electric bill is $13 - ever since I paid off my solar panels.

We had 44 this morning with another pine fire going while we had coffee.
Very jealous here! Still hanging around in the 70’s and 80’s during the day. Looking like next week is a cool down for us. Won’t be long!

Very jealous here! Still hanging around in the 70’s and 80’s during the day. Looking like next week is a cool down for us. Won’t be long!
It warmed up quick today, in the direct sun it's 82. I'm looking forward when the cooler weather moves in and stays but by the end of February, I'll be looking for the warmer weather.

Lower 40's beginning Wed night and through the weekend. Excited to fire up for the first time this season! Perfect time of year for those to take the chill off fires and also see that everything is working properly. Will be getting into a pine/cherry/birch mixed cord to start shoulder season with maple, oak and elm shorts and uglies on standby if some slightly cooler nights pop up.

Lower 40's beginning Wed night and through the weekend. Excited to fire up for the first time this season! Perfect time of year for those to take the chill off fires and also see that everything is working properly. Will be getting into a pine/cherry/birch mixed cord to start shoulder season with maple, oak and elm shorts and uglies on standby if some slightly cooler nights pop up.
That's a nice lineup for the shoulder season, we have just under six face cord of White Pine for our shoulder season firewood. We'll save about three face cord for the spring.

We have two face of American Hophornbeam (Ironwood) for the real cold weather along with twelve face cord of Ash and eight face cord of Yellow Birch and Soft & Hard Maple if needed. We usually burn twelve face cord per year.

We'll also burn 50 bags of pellets per year, since our wood stove is in the basement, we burn the pellet stove at night for the constant heat when it gets real cold.

Reactions: Riff
Not cool enough for a fire here
But we are ready propane Full. Firewood 4 cord of maple(sugar)and Red oak at 16%
4.5 tone of Cubix pellets
Bring it on Mother Nature

We are suppose to get our first bit of cooler weather and some rain tonight with a front moving in after a long spell of hot dry weather. It was 92 today but we got highs of 60s and 70s forecasted for the next few days with lows in the 40s. Not cold by any means and i won't need to fire the stove up but it won't be long now and I can't wait....I got a lot of red oak in my stack for this year.

The stove has a can of dri-rid in it as of now and the baffles and burn tubes are sitting on the fire bricks. I think I shall get everything in order right now as I am thinking of it. Don't wanna get caught with my britches down.

That's a nice lineup for the shoulder season, we have just under six face cord of White Pine for our shoulder season firewood. We'll save about three face cord for the spring.

We have two face of American Hophornbeam (Ironwood) for the real cold weather along with twelve face cord of Ash and eight face cord of Yellow Birch and Soft & Hard Maple if needed. We usually burn twelve face cord per year.

We'll also burn 50 bags of pellets per year, since our wood stove is in the basement, we burn the pellet stove at night for the constant heat when it gets real cold.

Ironwood is nice stuff, don't see much if any around where I'm at but it grows here in WI. After shoulder season winds down, I too will mostly be burning ash. I'm starting with 2 cords of an ash/maple mix cut in 2019, and then will move on to another 2 cords of ash, mostly medium sized splits that was split last Jan. Moisture meter readings show it at 18% on the larger splits and 15% on smaller ones so it should be fine for the stove. My "emergency" cords will be silver maple cut last Nov and I'm hoping to keep all of it to start off next year's burn season. The rest of what I have is 4 cords bur oak and elms cut June and July of 2020 and an estimated 2 cords of honey locust which I'm still working up.

Last weekend it looked like by this Thursday I will have a fire in the VC. Now it looks like maybe I will hold off a bit longer. Will clean the pipe tomorrow and maybe replace the griddle gasket. It is always 5*F colder at the lake. On Sat will clean that pipe, tighten the door gasket and light one for sure.

We had 49.2 this morning with some good rains so we had a two pine fires.

It was low 50s and rain this morning. VC got fed punky hemlock around 12:00. It took the dampness out quickly. More of the same will go in soon. First fire of the season. Later than usual by about a week.

We are so close to firing up our stove, we have been in the low 50s for the last week almost every morning. We have a face cord of Norway Spruce and Red Pine ready to go, and a squeaky clean flue and stove!