What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What's in my stove? Damprid...
68 today, 58 tonight. 72 Next few days...

:-(

Last edited:
We're heading down to 49 tonight, we have a pine fire going in the Liberty.

T-shirts here! We are Canadians afterall!

25AF4734-3290-431E-A16F-22E529B622AB.png

T-shirts here! We are Canadians afterall!
Time to fire up the BBQ sit in the sun and drink a few wobbly pops
seeing as this weekend is the Canada Thanksgiving maybe cook the turkey on the BBQ

I have to smile for you people are just itching to get started on your stoves "when cold weather comes"...When I burn my stove it will have kiln dried oak pieces about 16 inches...Hoping for snow so all you people can start up your stoves in fact I am praying for snow and cold...clancey

Leaving for South Carolina in a few days, for a month. Seems odd having to button things up "for when the snow flys", when its 78deg and raining. The wood cart is full. All it would take is a few cloudy days in the 50s to light one up, but still, blocks of time can throw me off.

Leaving for South Carolina in a few days, for a month. Seems odd having to button things up "for when the snow flys", when its 78deg and raining. The wood cart is full. All it would take is a few cloudy days in the 50s to light one up, but still, blocks of time can throw me off.
Safe travels! Bring as much wood as you can close to the house, you never know what awaits you when you come back….

We had 45.6 this morning with another Pine fire going in the Lopi.

Heading into the 40's and 30's F in Northern Utah over the next few days, snow included. Mixture of pine, spruce, and tree of heaven burning in my Lopi at the moment.

Reactions: thewoodlands
been lighting fires in the evenings since last Wednesday - last night a full load and settled down just before bed -all Doug fir so far, tonight we have a FROST ALERT!
actual forecast is 33F. makes me laugh! I do enjoy the ambiance, even when it is too warm.
so my wife insists a loading of oak in the stove tonight. she spent over 30 years in Fairbanks, lived close enough to work to walk even all winter. she refuses to be cold ever again!

today I will be covering the tarp shelter/redneck greenhouse so we can have some veggies for a while still. I put my two (painted black)) water filled plastic 55 gallon drums in a week ago. this section of the garden is a raised bed that we noticed a tarp shelter would fit over. started stretching out the tomato harvests. now I plant lettuce/radish/beats/peas in mid august and we enjoy them usually until December when it actually gets cold. from now until Thanksgiving (US) I doubt if we see anything below 30, and that would be the morning dip.
Happy Heating Season!

Your better half is a smart lady for who wants to be cold-----------not meeeee....Here in my state they were saying on the radio that they expect "maybe" it to go right above freezing on Wed but I think it will go to freezing (at night this is) so I am begin to winterize my hoses and stuff..Daytime temperatures are still pretty good 70 or so and I just wonder about your tomato's since I have one and in Oregon did you get a lot of tomato"s this year.? Sounds good and you will just love the heat and especially the ambiance of it all--get a glass of juice or hot cocoa or something and really enjoy it..My new stove will be lite on Oct 28th and my stove installer is suppose to bring over a wood gage to test the moisture and a stove pipe temperature gauge as well and I got some fire extinguishers just in case---lol lol...First time burner here so Happy Heating Season back to you too and you have a sensible better half who does not want to be cold and is getting you in the mood for burning your stove ahead of time...good for her...clancey

Your better half is a smart lady for who wants to be cold-----------not meeeee....Here in my state they were saying on the radio that they expect "maybe" it to go right above freezing on Wed but I think it will go to freezing (at night this is) so I am begin to winterize my hoses and stuff..Daytime temperatures are still pretty good 70 or so and I just wonder about your tomato's since I have one in Oregon did you get a lot of tomato"s this year...Sounds good and you will just love the heat and especially the ambiance of it all--get a glass of juice or hot cocoa or something and really enjoy it..My new stove will be lite on Oct 28th and my stove installer is suppose to bring over a wood gage to test the moisture and a stove pipe temperature gauge as well and I got some fire extinguishers just in case---lol lol...First time burner here so Happy Heating Season back to you too and you have a sensible better half who does not want to be cold and is getting you in the mood for burning your stove ahead of time...good for her...clancey
HAHA - yes, she is a smart lady - she was the straight "A" student when we were in school! we caught back up about 12 years ago, both of us going to the local community college - I did beat her GPA this time!!
we are in a cold pocket - usually 2 or 3 degrees lower than the forecast - I do expect it to be frosty - but at least the rain quit.
June 27, 2012 - Jackie and I had been married almost a year - I was in Indiana loading a trailer - at 113 degrees - I called J to tell her that I would be heading west in less than an hour - she told me she was lighting the stove. I pretty much melted into the parking lot!
really?
turns out it was 55 and overcast, she was cold! I think that was her first time lighting. she almost gave up.
I gave her some ideas and lessons the next fall - she is an ace now - we have competitions - as we are kind of prepper/survivalist - we compete to be the one-strike lite with the ferro rod. no matches are harmed in fire building here!
we only did two tomato plants this year - (water issues) and the little cherry tomatoes just gave up - but the bigger ones have been going on overload - we have been giving baskets of them to the neighbors almost every week. cucumbers have been steady and awesome - but no extras, as the chickens get one every week - (J does spoil them). the slicing cuke has gone in to overdrive now.
water issues - I am such a goofball - as the rains started coming back a few weeks ago - it finally dawned on me - I setup some buckets off of the tarp shelter - to catch rain water for the garden. nobody has ever called me Einstein! it works well, I haven't had to use any of my hauled water for the garden now in over three weeks!
I can't use the water off of the house/garage as they are asphalt shingle - but the garage is due for a new roof and it will be metal!

you can never go wrong with fire extinguishers hanging around a few places - I have always (at least in my adult life) had one in the room of the stove, and one near each outside door. I carry the standard 2.5 pound next to the seat in my truck, and also always carry a ten pounder in the truck - and have put out fires out on the freeways at least 5 times, and once while pulling in to a parking lot a dumpster fire was starting - I had that out just as the fire department rolled up - they told me I shouldn't do that, but thanks, and they paid for a refill on my extinguisher.
I have 10 acres of timber - my very own tinderbox I live in - with the house on the SouthEast corner - so I am very diligent on fire safety.
and crazy enough, we want to build an outdoor wood-fired cookstove.
R

Thank you so much for sharing that story and its a wonderful story and what a way to start out --just wonderful...My late husband and me were of the same mind set and we lived down south for many many years--what a man he was--came from Michigan and he would have been right up there with all these wood stove burners and fireplaces people and so self reliant we were----good for you two...me I just got my stove in case the grid goes down or something and in actually I am afraid of fires burning..In our old house we had two fireplaces--one in the den for entertainment and the second in the main living room and he took care of all that and for me this is stressful to see this new fire box lite on my porch but my stove installer promised that he would do this so off to a beginning of a nice wood burning experience and I will take pictures as well.. Thanks so much for sharing and we will be burning kiln dried oak I believe after we take the moisture reading...clancey

No fire until weekend. Today was beautiful 74 had a nice fire pit fire. Burning bunch more brush

No fire until weekend. Today was beautiful 74 had a nice fire pit fire. Burning bunch more brush
we had such a bad wildfire season we can't burn brush piles yet. my place has extremely limited room to have a burn pile - so I am anxiously awaiting the big opening day. place is covered in fir and pine - with a few other types - but the ladder fuel is out of control, as even though I have owned this place quite a while - work had me away for weeks at a time, with barely 3 days back a month - so maintenance has been lacking for quite awhile. I have about 1/2 an acre of limbs down, ready to drag out and burn. but in my mind less of a hazard spread out instead of a pile. we didn't see 40 degrees today until afternoon. made it all the way to 56 though. I did let the stove go out this morning after she left for work!
will have to light it again tonight to have J happy tomorrow morning. I am way comfortable with the house under 70, J not so much. I try to keep her comfortable though, I have had to sleep in the truck at -25F a few times, so I understand feeling cold.

Reactions: Diabel
We had 78 today so I'm thinking maybe Friday night we might have a fire.

We had 78 today so I'm thinking maybe Friday night we might have a fire.
Maybe Friday, Sat for sure. Looking at the weather, the cold from the west is coming this was…..unfortunately.

Reactions: thewoodlands
40s inbound overnight this upcoming week, will be the first fire of the season. Boy lemme tell ya, my wife is excited, she is known to wear a jacket when it's 75 outside.
What will you be burning ?

Well I just lit our first of the season. Its 45 out now and expecting 39 tonight. Similar forecast as zombie with 60s this next week and lows in the 40s after tomorrow nights low of high 30s again. I got a small load of post oak and black jack in the stove.