What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
40s inbound overnight this upcoming week, will be the first fire of the season. Boy lemme tell ya, my wife is excited, she is known to wear a jacket when it's 75 outside.
My wife is the same way - 75 inside she has 3 layers on and a blanket. get to play with the stove a lot more because of it! I should be ultra skinny from all the sweating from too hot - but it apparently doesn't work that way.
she loves to see it snow - I keep telling her we are supposed to go see it, it isn't supposed to come see us.
after our little cold spell - we have 72 forecast tomorrow - and I found a load of wood already cut into rounds to go get for a few years out. all I gotta do is run it past the splitter and then stack it.

It's still 68 up here but once the front moves through, the temp should drop to 44.
I'm sort of excited to have some change come through, I might even squeak a test fire tomorrow if the weather allows, this first batch of cold should moderate by mid week, there's another batch coming in for us next week and that will be the true wood burning cold air / end the growing season type stuff.

I'm sort of excited to have some change come through, I might even squeak a test fire tomorrow if the weather allows, this first batch of cold should moderate by mid week, there's another batch coming in for us next week and that will be the true wood burning cold air / end the growing season type stuff.
Our temps in the morning next week should be around 37 or maybe below. If the pine heats the house from the basement, we'll stay with it but if the wife wants it warmer, we'll start burning hardwood and save the pine for the spring.

And we're off! First fire of the season, started with some small splits off of a 2x6 and some spliter trash (a combination of chips and bark) and I just layed 2 small splits of pine and 2 small spits of dogwood. Supposed to get down into the mid 40s tonite.

1016211916a_Film3.jpg

Last edited:
What's that Infront of your window? (Spots in the fire view).

Here it was 74 F today, and very windy. Rain expected tonight. So not opening the windows. Instead, when it hit 80 inside, I switched on the minisplit AC again.. :-(

Long term forecast suggests that the stove won't be lit until December...

So, to answer the question in the title of the thread: a can of damprid...

That is the removable metal screen for veiwing the fire. The "Fireplace series" of the Fisher stoves, Grandma, Grandpa, and XL were double door stoves for this purpose. Mine is a Grandpa Bear. Here is with the screen off and the doors closed.

View attachment 283408

Ah, I had not seen the doors open as they pointed to the camera. Nice to have a stove and a fireplace in one.

Reactions: Zombie
Yea, the basement doesn't have the best lighting, lol. The doors are swung all the way open against the sides of the stove. This stove is before the era of glass doors, when it's in "fireplace mode" man it throws heat hard, sitting within 10 feet will almost scorch you, lol.

Reactions: stoveliker
The temps did drop up here, low of 47, doesnt feel chilly though, the house held the heat from yesterday just fine, outside there is a slight breeze coming from the NW, its not chilly, maybe crisp is the right word, it does feel refreshing to have dry air moving, hopefully things dry out, its just been a repetitive moist environment up here, with the wet soil.
I have a london broil in the slow cooker, will add the potatoes and carrots a little later from now, low temps tonight will be around 38deg, that might warrent a small fire later this evening.

Hit the low 40's last night and the kids were complaining of the chill early this morning so lit a small fire. 4 splits of pine and 1 one cherry were enough to make the place cozy. Nice to sit back with my morning cup of coffee to it.

You all have me jealous waiting for our first fire of the season! October has been unseasonably warm here. First nice cold front settled in yesterday but the heat pump will carry us to mid-late November if I can control myself lol.

I am refusing to turn it on this year, and will be heating with wood only.
Seeing the rising costs for electricity/natural gas/propane etc. I’d wager there will be lots of folks do the same. Our electric heat pump is very efficient thankfully and doesn’t start hurting the back pocket too much till it dips in the 30’s.

Reactions: sloeffle and Zombie
55 F this morning, indeed feels nice. 75 F in the home.
Seeing the rising costs for electricity/natural gas/propane etc. I’d wager there will be lots of folks do the same. Our electric heat pump is very efficient thankfully and doesn’t start hurting the back pocket too much till it dips in the 30’s.

I also am eagerly awaiting for the end of November or so. I almost regret the minisplit and free solar electrons ...

But, in all honesty, having free AC and free heat (minisplit and free wood) makes me quite thankful when I see others getting nervous about energy costs. I'm a lucky guy.

Same here, and being in NC we don't get super cold like a lot of the folks on here. I also have an attic fan that I run instead of the A/C most of the time. Just open the windows and let the fresh air in.

Last edited:
We had 40 degrees this morning with more pine going in the Liberty. We also put in two more loads of white pine today.

Reactions: MEngineer24 and MMH
Home stayed 71 all day. Fierce, windy, dime size hail storm around 2.30 pm. 52-59 today.