What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had a low of 26.2 this morning with another load of ash providing the heat.

Reactions: Riff
We gad 25.5 this morning, more ash went in the wood stove. Saranac Lake New York had a low of 18.

Reactions: Riff and NickW
I didn't have a fire overnight and this morning was 31 so the house was 65, we had another fire with some ash and with the help of the sun we're up to 70 in the house.

Its May and we are still burning! Very cool and wet spring. Elm and pine burning in the insert.

May 8, Just made another fire this morning. Damp and cool this spring not letting go.

Reactions: Gearhead660
We had 32.7 this morning but the house was still 68 from the overnight fire so we didn't have another fire this morning.

Past few days had us low of mid-40s, high of mid-50s. Currently living room is 60F, bedroom 62F.

Wife volunteered to light the fire and hand picked couple of the prettiest logs on the rack. So now we are burning a full load of ~15%MC black locust. I think we will cook ourselves out of house pretty soon.

Black oak in the little lopi. Stove cruising at 600°.

IMG_20220508_194113799.jpg

No fire overnight with a temp of 36.4 this morning, no fire this morning while having coffee but we'll have one tonight unless someone falls asleep in the recliner again.

The house is 70 from the sun with the doors opened to the porch, feels great.

I almost 100% this past Saturday was my last one of the season, even at 42 deg at night with rain showers and a stiff wind the house warmed to much during the day due to sun angle, I did the black and white cat test, he went out, came back after 20 min, his black fur felt warm even though it was cloudy lol.
Time to re-fill the shed racks and move other splits around, I got plenty of ash tree's that are standing dead to drop and process to. It was another fun season here.

It has been a cool damp day so we're having a shoulder season wood fire, 78 in the basement where the stove is and 72 up here.

After tomorrow the temps will be warmer for the week, we usually start feeding the Lopi Liberty on September 15 and the latest has been the 25 of September. Since oil and propane prices are up, we won't use any of those until the coldest weather hits.

I think that I'll cover another two face cord of shoulder season wood, that will give us just under eight face cord for this fall and next spring if needed.

It has been a cool damp day so we're having a shoulder season wood fire, 78 in the basement where the stove is and 72 up here.

After tomorrow the temps will be warmer for the week, we usually start feeding the Lopi Liberty on September 15 and the latest has been the 25 of September. Since oil and propane prices are up, we won't use any of those until the coldest weather hits.

I think that I'll cover another two face cord of shoulder season wood, that will give us just under eight face cord for this fall and next spring if needed.
A/C still sucking down the KW’s here. Not looking to need heat for another 2 months at least!

Highs in the 70’s for a few more days here, and then a couple days in the 80’s. We did get down to 51 the other morning, but then the temp came right back up again.

I’m thinking no fires for us for at least another month or so. I’ve been eyeing the wood out in the woodshed. I should pull some pieces out and do a moisture test just for funsies.

Still no sign of a cooldown here, we burnt a couple fires this time last year, AC is still going full blast this year.

We had the hottest August I've ever seen, and no appreciable rain in the last month. Now we've had 3 large forest fires start in the last 3 days and the smoke is rolling in.

I'm ready for a fire, but forest fires aren't quite what I wanted.

Reactions: DiBurn90
Still no sign of a cooldown here, we burnt a couple fires this time last year, AC is still going full blast this year.

We had the hottest August I've ever seen, and no appreciable rain in the last month. Now we've had 3 large forest fires start in the last 3 days and the smoke is rolling in.

I'm ready for a fire, but forest fires aren't quite what I wanted.
I hope you get some rain.

Reactions: MMH and ABMax24
I'm jealous. Last two years had the first fire October 29 and November 19. The minisplit was cooling today (or more dehumidifying), and will be heating before a fire is lit.

I have my shed bay with 2.75 cords (oak, ash, and cherry this year) available. That should be enough (with the minisplit for times when it's 40+ F for 24 hrs or more). But I have an extra 1.5 face cord of oak and a face cord of pitch pine ready as well. So I may use the minisplit less.than normal in spring.

Reactions: MMH
Its bee a warm humid summer.. I've been saying since mid july I've been looking forward to the cool down.. Im about 40 days to my first fire and even that I will need to keep the windows open to cool the house down enough. Im sitting on 14 cords.. what im burning this year is a mix of oak and cherry.. probably.. a 70/30 mix.. I did a full clean out in may so the stove is ready to go.. I can't wait.. really looking forward to more cooler weather..

Just a little north of you rusty18. I can't complain about the rain this summer, my yard looks great and the gravel road in front of the house never got very dusty. I can complain about the temperatures. My electric bills have been the worst in 6 years in this house.

The rainy weekend has made me want to light the stove.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Just a little north of you rusty18. I can't complain about the rain this summer, my yard looks great and the gravel road in front of the house never got very dusty. I can complain about the temperatures. My electric bills have been the worst in 6 years in this house.

The rainy weekend has made me want to light the stove.
The rain has been real hit n miss here. We would get a sprinkle and Marietta/Reno would about get washed away. Been that way all summer. I had a mini excavator rented last weekend digging out for a driveway improvement project and dug stumps out with the remaining hours. At one point I was 6-7’ deep and still in dry dirt. We could really stand a light drizzle for about 3 days here.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It has been the driest summer I can remember here in northeast Missouri. We have gotten 1.5 inches essentially since mid-July. I have had to water my trees/shrubs like crazy and I know it's likely all just falling down the fissures in the ground. This is our first winter on wood. I am sure our piles dried out a little faster than a normal year so we will cross our fingers we have enough. My family thinks we have a "crazy amount" but my family does not heat 100% with wood. They are more ambient fire/supplement with wood people. I keep trying to tell them that this is a 100 year old 2600 square foot house with bad insulation and we are planning to burn 24/7. It is going to need a lot of wood. We also are trying to put back enough for next year's pile too but I am certain we don't have enough for 2 years yet.

Reactions: MMH and MEngineer24