What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nothing today but tonight we'll have a few fires, we have a low of 27 coming at us Monday morning so tomorrow morning we'll start having some shoulder season fires with a few more at night.

We had a low of 41 this morning with the house temps at 68.

We've had some pretty good wind gust today, when I took the dog for a walk, it started raining and then turned to snow for a few minutes.

Down to spot fires, burnt 2 days this past week, then it was warm enough to carry the house day to day, this morning it was down to 34 deg f, so I lit the stove, might do stoke it back up this evening, the season is almost over, one of my lightest burning years yet, pretty much only 2 1/2 cords used, it never really got cold here.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Lit the stove this morning. Cool, windy and rain. Tonight is forecasted to be 35, so I’m gonna keep it burning low today and might make my goal of cleaning the porch off by burning all the wood to end the season.
One rack of wood beside the stove, a few logs on the porch and some chunks. Might just work out.
IMG_4177.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

It was 32.4 this morning with the house at 68, last night the overnight fire was pine. Today I had another pine fire before I headed outside, the wife had another since tonight could drop down in the 20's.

Reactions: 30WCF
yahoo sez 37F with RealFeel at 30F
it's 0306 and I just did a jaunt around the property looking for our new cat, Jupiter.
It didn't feel that cold.

anyway, elder cat not doing too well on the latest antibiotics

so, currently, hazel+chestnut+oak

Back home again. 3/4 load of hardwood tonight. Going down to 33. Tuesday and Wednesday are forecast in the 20's overnight.

We had 25.9 this morning with the house temps 67 & 68, we did have some pine fires yesterday and two more later last night which kept things warm enough.

Yahoo sez 43F; RealFeel is 35F
relentless, frigid wind
and an old kitty cat really struggling

built a kindling top down with all kinds
beech+chestnut+hazel

Managed to keep it low and slow all day. Got the last of what was brought up to the house off the porch and sitting beside the stove. Tomorrow it should be 70 or so, and then it will be over for me.
IMG_4186.jpeg

Managed to keep it low and slow all day. Got the last of what was brought up to the house off the porch and sitting beside the stove. Tomorrow it should be 70 or so, and then it will be over for me.
View attachment 326956
I keep saying that too but after a warmer week, mother nature takes another shot at keeping colder temps around.

Reactions: Ashful
Just filled the stove with a load of Aspen. Supposed to be in the 40’s today and 20’s tonight then warm back up into the 50’s. It’s difficult to burn during these up and down roller coaster days. I’m starting to miss my old Woodstock Keystone.

My stoves burn low and slow, but with 30F's overnight and 70F's during the day, I don't even want them burning all day. It's been a half load of mixed hardwoods, mostly oak and ash, each night this week. Run it on a setting that lets me load at 11pm and have the thing basically burned out by 8-9am, keeps the house a nice even temperature all night and day.

Just filled the stove with a load of Aspen. Supposed to be in the 40’s today and 20’s tonight then warm back up into the 50’s. It’s difficult to burn during these up and down roller coaster days. I’m starting to miss my old Woodstock Keystone.
I hear you. Today is supposed to be in the 60's, then down into the 20's tonight. I suppose that's better than mid 50's and cloudy during the day and mid 40's overnight though... That makes it tough to get the house warm enough but not too warm. Aspen and pine are your friend then.

Just tossed in the last piece of wood I had up at the house on just out of principle, and she’s a beauty. Probably gonna regret it, but the coals wouldn’t have waited until tonight for it.

IMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

My stoves burn low and slow, but with 30F's overnight and 70F's during the day, I don't even want them burning all day. It's been a half load of mixed hardwoods, mostly oak and ash, each night this week. Run it on a setting that lets me load at 11pm and have the thing basically burned out by 8-9am, keeps the house a nice even temperature all night and day.
*Also* low and slow. But this goes to show that even for BKs there is a shoulder season where continuous output is too much...

*Also* low and slow. But this goes to show that even for BKs there is a shoulder season where continuous output is too much...
When I grow up, I’m going to have a stove closet in my living room. You know how some folks have Christmas Tree closets so they can wheel their massive tree into the closet without taking it down, then bring it right back out in winter?
Well, it’s gonna have a BK on a foot pump dolly jack, and maybe my Aspen or something on a second dolly for the shoulder season. Three screws in the telescoping pipe, roll this one out, and that one in, re-install the three screws in the other set of holes in the telescoping pipe, and off we go. Roll the old stove into the closet and shut the door.

Last edited:
When I grow up, I’m going to have a stove closet. You know how some folks have Christmas Tree closets so they can wheel their massive tree into the closet without taking it down, then bring it right back out in winter?
Well, it’s gonna have a BK on a foot pump dolly jack, and maybe my Aspen or something on a second dolly for the shoulder season. Three screws in the telescoping pipe, roll this one out, and that one in, re-install the three screws in the other set of holes in the telescoping pipe, and off we go.
At that time, pics or you're still young :p

Last night we ran the pellet stove for an hour (we'll burn what's in the hopper and call it a year) I shut that off and then had a quick pine fire. Before the pine fire was done, I loaded it up with four splits of hardwood, the temps up here this morning were 70 & 71 with the outside temp at 38.1.

This Friday will be our last night with any type of wood heat, hopefully we won't need it. If we need heat we'll use the propane fireplace/insert or just let the furnace run for five minutes.

I ve been pretty much same as anyone else. Fires here and there. About every 2 days unless cold and rainy. Pine and spruce are great for these days. I can already tell none tonight as it’s been sunny and 55 all day. House is up to 71. I’ll let it cool off tonight (Low 35) then reassess tomorrow am. Supposed to be cloudy so no sun to warm things up.

When I grow up, I’m going to have a stove closet in my living room. You know how some folks have Christmas Tree closets so they can wheel their massive tree into the closet without taking it down, then bring it right back out in winter?
I have two of those. Stove closets, not Christmas tree closets... we cut and stand our own live tree each year.

Each May/June, I toss all the gear into the "stove closets", which are actually just large walk-in fireplaces, and close the doors for summer.

IMG_0205.jpg