What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On wed night I used up the last hardwood splits I had allotted for the 23-24 stove season. I do have a nice 2 cord piggy bank of pine and spruce that had been split and top covered for 2 years. I ran some of that up yesterday am. Last night and today have been fires with that. Quite a different experience, still 12 hour burns on a somewhat loaded firebox, talk about easy to handle after dealing with the heavyweights of the firewood world all season, for this time of year and the fall pine is just fine. Heck I could probably survive all season very easily on it, I would just have to adjust my reload schedules a bit.

Reactions: Pinesmoke and NickW
The outside temp this morning was 32.9, the basement temp started out at 72, both living area temps and the sleeper were 69.

The overnight fire was some ash with yellow birch, today we're burning some pine.

Reactions: Riff and NickW
I've been making a few smaller fires on some chilly mornings or evenings. We have really dry doug fir this year. I am able to get the stove hot enough to damp down in about 8 minutes with 4 splits stacked lincoln log style with some kindling in the middle. Flue temp at that point is approaching 600ºF.

Reactions: Riff and NickW
On wed night I used up the last hardwood splits I had allotted for the 23-24 stove season. I do have a nice 2 cord piggy bank of pine and spruce that had been split and top covered for 2 years. I ran some of that up yesterday am. Last night and today have been fires with that. Quite a different experience, still 12 hour burns on a somewhat loaded firebox, talk about easy to handle after dealing with the heavyweights of the firewood world all season, for this time of year and the fall pine is just fine. Heck I could probably survive all season very easily on it, I would just have to adjust my reload schedules a bit.
Until we moved down here pine was relatively scarce and I only burned it in the chiminea. This year I have burned a LOT of it except for overnight loads and when the temps were in the 20s. It works well and since I have lots of it it has become my goto when I'm here to tend a small fire all day.

Reactions: Riff and Dieselhead
Until we moved down here pine was relatively scarce and I only burned it in the chiminea. This year I have burned a LOT of it except for overnight loads and when the temps were in the 20s. It works well and since I have lots of it it has become my goto when I'm here to tend a small fire all day.
I have 3-4 cord worth of log length Norway spruce I will cut and split up this year, it’s from tree’s I took down on my property to make an access road so instead of junking it it will heat my house. I wouldn’t go out of my way to get it but it’s all BTUs at the end of the day 👍🏼

Small fire this morning of cherry and black walnut to chase out the chill. Looking at the return of spring and highs in the upper 60s to low 70s. Today may possibly be the last fire we have this season.

Small fire this morning of cherry and black walnut to chase out the chill. Looking at the return of spring and highs in the upper 60s to low 70s. Today may possibly be the last fire we have this season.
Same here. They are predicting (yeah right) only a couple of nights in the 40s in the next 10 days. I'm ready 😁.

We had 28.3 this morning, I never had an overnight fire last night so the rooms in the house were 66 & 67. I did start a shoulder season fire before I headed in the woods.

Earlier tonight I ran the pellet stove for two hours, that has the basement temp at 75, the living area temps are 70 & 71 with the sleeper at 70.

Tonight I have an overnight fire going, yellow birch, ash and some maple. They're forecasting another low of 28 in the morning.

Reactions: NickW
Just got home after being gone all day and getting an overnight fire going. Basement is 62 and upstairs is 64. 43 and windy out. 3 chunks of ash and 3 aspen should do it...

Reactions: thewoodlands
Last night around bed the house was at 70. I decided on no fire. This am it’s 30 out and the house is at 65. We’re supposed to have some sun today so we will see what that does, but I’m suspecting a load of pine will be going in tonight!

We had an outside temp of 27.9 this morning, the basement temp started out at 72, the living area temps are 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

Our outside temp will be close to 60 today so no fire this morning.

As I suspected not much solar gain today, just enough to maintain 65 indoors. Pine in the stove tonight!

We had an outdoor temp of 33.8 this morning, the basement temp was never checked, the living area temps were 65 & 67 with the sleeper at 67 too.

We didn't have an overnight fire last night but we did run the pellet stove for a few hours. This morning we used the propane fireplace with the fan for heat. Today we hit 72 back here so that feels nice.

37 this morning with real feel at 35
I knew it was coming so started an overnight yesterday
not that its freezing...it's just over then line
my senior cat was jonesing for a fire
currently reloaded with beech and ash
waiting for that to fully take before heading back to the sack for an hour or two

We were in the low 40's this morning, we didn't have an overnight fire so I ran the furnace for five minutes this morning. After I came home from getting the oil changed this morning, I started a shoulder season fire, later on the wife had a second shoulder season fire when I was outside working.

Had a small fire. The secondaries were mesmerizing.

I have 1/4 cord of mostly ash and hickory, that I'd really like to get thru before this year is up, to avoid having to re-stack it out of order in my FIFO sheds. That wouldn't be a problem, most years, but our forecast appears to be warming early this year.

In the mid 30s in Conn. A bit of snow in places from yesterday, such as the roof. The unusual thing here... although I didn't feel it, was the earthquake, Someone about 5 miles away as the crow flies texted me about it. Pictures on walls shaking, computer monitor swaying. I work in a sub-basement so was oblivious to it. If it was felt that much around here, I wonder what it was like in N.J. and areas close to it.
My cinder block house here in NJ shook. It rumbled then started shaking, then increased shaking intensity. Lasted about 20-30 seconds in total. Had a lesser aftershock that rattled the windows. My neighbor had things fall off their shelf. The dogs were like WTF.

Thankfully no obvious cracks in the block walls.

House Int. has been 59-63F the last couple days. Think i might break down and light up the f400. Looking like clouds and rain in the forecast.

My cinder block house here in NJ shook. It rumbled then started shaking, then increased shaking intensity. Lasted about 20-30 seconds in total. Had a lesser aftershock that rattled the windows. My neighbor had things fall off their shelf. The dogs were like WTF.

But did any of your stacks of firewood fall over? That’s what we all want to know here.

In all seriousness, thankful everyone/everything is ok for you.

Wow it was quite significant where you were. And you must have been relatively close to the epicenter. The poor dogs! Good no cracks or apparent damage.

Wow it was quite significant where you were. And you must have been relatively close to the epicenter. The poor dogs! Good no cracks or apparent damage.
Yeah it was the real deal here. As for the dogs, when the aftershock hit they didn't even blink. But it was much less movement than the 1st one.

Reactions: Stelcom66
Shoulder season fire last night here at home. 2 ash and 4 aspen. First fire since Sunday night.

Monday ran up to the Northwoods with the pontoon boat and took it to the boat shop for the new motor 😁(been in the garage for 3 years...😔). Done by noon Tuesday. Had a shoulder season fire in the afternoon and hardwood overnight in the Stratford II, but I'm going to miss the NC30 when we move.

Truck broke (again) on the drive home Tuesday, but I was able to limp home. At least it waited until I was only 3 miles away and not pulling anything... Stuff above my DIY abilities again, still in the shop. Going down the rabbit hole there. Stick $ into an old vehicle with high miles but you know what you have, or go get a "new used" vehicle for 30k and probably end up fixing stuff on that...?