What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I never had an overnight fire so the house was cooler this morning, the boss was really impressed! The basement was 64, both living area temps were 65 along with the sleeper.

A few pine fires with the sun and the house is 70.

Reactions: ctreitzell
We are still burning here too. Most of the wet week to come will require us to keep the fire alive. Next week may put the fire out but time will tell.
It looks like April 9, the temps start getting warmer over here.

kept it going all easter monday, it's so wet and grey here...spurts of sun, but mostly howling wind and pouring rain

currently oak+2ash+chestnut
it'll probably last 3 or 4 hrs...

Reactions: thewoodlands
Is your stove burning non-stop for the most part?
Yes the stove has been consistently going all season. I have definetly learned how to nurse the stove along in warmer weather. The biggest thing I've changed for these warm weather conditions is ....I don't rake coals nearly as often, leaving them alone prolongs there existence, which is helpful, when trying to buy more time before adding more splits. I doubt I've completely filled the firebox to max more than 6 times this entire season. Also I leave the air on low AFTER reloads to slow ignition. This seems to help as well seasoned wood catches just fine with this method for us. It's been a very interesting season to say the least.

Reactions: NickW
We had 29.4 this morning, the sleeper was 69, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the basement temp at 71.

Last nights overnight load was three splits of yellow birch with another five splits of pine. We didn't have any fires at all today but about seven tonight the pellet stove was turned on.

Reactions: Stelcom66 and NickW
Spent the holiday weekend up in the Northwoods. Ash & cherry overnights, pine & aspen with one split of hardwood during the day. Been burning non-stop since getting home. Ash overnight and pine & aspen during the day with maybe 1 split of hardwood to extend the coals. Currently 32 degrees and slushing out...

Yes the stove has been consistently going all season....
That is great. I can only wish my stove was that efficient. I never had to put out a fire! I go through a lot of kindling and newspaper starting fires daily, and the newspaper supply is limited since I no longer get it 6 days a week. I have some fire starting squares on hand.

Our outside temp tonight is just above 46, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps are 72 & 73 with the sleeper at 70.

I did run the pellet stove in the low setting earlier but I shut that off. The wood stove has four splits of hardwood with five splits of pine for the overnight load.

We've been doing more of the same, pine during the day and some hardwood at night when needed. The cold we'll be moving back in with a possible 6 - 12 inches of snow towards the middle of the week.

Our outside temp tonight is just above 46, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps are 72 & 73 with the sleeper at 70.

I did run the pellet stove in the low setting earlier but I shut that off. The wood stove has four splits of hardwood with five splits of pine for the overnight load.
Do you think the pellet and wood stoves put out around the same amount of heat? Good to see I'm not the only one who burns pine!

That is great. I can only wish my stove was that efficient. I never had to put out a fire! I go through a lot of kindling and newspaper starting fires daily, and the newspaper supply is limited since I no longer get it 6 days a week. I have some fire starting squares on hand.
I haven't used newspaper/ paper for years; just wood and a lighter
I typically light a candle and then use wooden shish-kebab skewers which have been purchased at the grocery store. I find wood chips ignite very quickly which is how I light my top-downs. The important part is how to sculpt your fire starting area...put enough well placed, dry chips on and fires start easily. I'm sure I could do it with matches, too

Reactions: bigealta
Do you think the pellet and wood stoves put out around the same amount of heat? Good to see I'm not the only one who burns pine!
No, the pellet stove is a nice even heat but the wood stove will give you a more intense heat quicker. I do like the two together in the real cold weather since we heat from the basement.

We had 43.3 this morning, all the temps in the house were 70. I took the rakers down on three chains and then sharpened them, when I came inside I started up the pellet stove.

The last couple of days it's been 75-80 with a low in the 60s (yeah I know, sorry guys). Front came through last night and was 50 this morning and falling with a North wind to the low 40s right now, headed to 30 tonight.

Just set a pine fire to warm the big rock up for a low cruise today.

Full load of ash with one chunk of sugar maple tonight

I haven't used newspaper/ paper for years; just wood and a lighter
I typically light a candle and then use wooden shish-kebab skewers which have been purchased at the grocery store. I find wood chips ignite very quickly which is how I light my top-downs. The important part is how to sculpt your fire starting area...put enough well placed, dry chips on and fires start easily. I'm sure I could do it with matches, too
Good ideas - wood chips as in those for grills? I do need to check into alternative methods.
No, the pellet stove is a nice even heat but the wood stove will give you a more intense heat quicker. I do like the two together in the real cold weather since we heat from the basement.
I see, nice having both. I knew someone with a wood stove in the basement. It was a ranch house and did quite well. Small openings in the floors with grates to provide rising heat.

I shut the pellet stove off at 10:30 last night, I didn't run any heat overnight since they were still calling for high winds for this area. The living area and the sleeper temps were both 67 with the basement at 66. The outside temp this morning was 30.3.

The first fire this morning was a shoulder season fire.

This is my technique for the warmer weather. I dont rake the coals or mess with the air much to keep things idling along.
1000006437.jpg

About 6500 without electricity in Conn. this morning. Some sleet/freeing rain had accumulated overnight. The drive to work was slow and at times slippery. Most vehicles on the highway going well below the speed limit with flashers on. Saw one accident in the other direction.

I should have covered the wood outside this weekend, seems like almost every day there's at least some precipitation.

We had 30.3 this morning, the basement temp was 70, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 68. Once we came back from getting some dog food, I made a shoulder season fire with some not so great pine.

We did have an overnight fire last night, five splits of ash with one split of yellow birch.

Reactions: Stelcom66 and NickW
We had 30.3 this morning, the basement temp was 70...
In the mid 30s in Conn. A bit of snow in places from yesterday, such as the roof. The unusual thing here... although I didn't feel it, was the earthquake, Someone about 5 miles away as the crow flies texted me about it. Pictures on walls shaking, computer monitor swaying. I work in a sub-basement so was oblivious to it. If it was felt that much around here, I wonder what it was like in N.J. and areas close to it.