What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Currently 37 & windy, rain off and on all day, shoulder season fire going. High of nearly 50 forecast and only down to mid 40's overnight. Tomorrow is supposed to be mid 50's and off and on rain again, then down into the 20's overnight. Looks like shoulder season fires until then.

This morning we had a low of 16.9, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were 68 & 69 with the sleeper temp at 69.

After coffee, I started a shoulder season fire from some nice coals.

Both NOAA & Accu are calling for a low of 25. The basement temp is starting out at 75, both living area temps are 71 with the sleeper at 69.

I did start a shoulder season fire before supper. Tonight the wood stove has ash and birch on the bottom row with pine on the top row.

Reactions: ctreitzell
We had a low of 28.9, the basement temp this morning was 72, the living area temps were 68 & 69 with the sleeper temp at 69. No fire or heat of any type going at the moment.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Two more loads of beautiful straight-grain ash, tonight! I need to get thru another 1/2 cord of wood before the year is done, to avoid screwing up my FIFO inventory system, and prevent the Sheldon Cooper in me to avoid fretting over the leftover all summer long. Current stock at the house is 1/3 ash and 2/3 hickory, but of course the ash is on top, meaning I'll be burning the hickory only after it gets even warmer. :mad: My prior assumption about this last load of the season being mostly oak was wrong.

I did start a shoulder season fire before supper tonight, about 10:30 tonight the overnight fire was started off some coals. The load has two splits of birch with five splits of pine.

The outside temp tonight is 48.9, the living area temps are 71 & 72, the basement temp is starting out at 73 with the sleeper at 69.

I also did a shoulder season load to make some coals and heat the flue about 6:00ish - 6 aspen and pine, nothing big. Overnight is 5 ash, 1 hickory & 1 honey locust. Currently 32 outside going down to about 24.

Reactions: thewoodlands
continuous rain, zero solar help and plenty of cold wind
real feel sez 35 outside
I mean, when it's 40F/ 4C that cold just goes right thru...must be a frequency thing

anyway, made a fire around 1600 as I let last nights' overnight burn itself out

I've been emptying out some wood chip stores that are inefficient
elm, hazel, holly, some bush that gets used for charcoal which I don't know the species, oak, beech, chestnut

**EDIT** whoops, didn't post last night
I put on a nice 10" split of apple at midnight and awoke at 0330 to find sufficient coals to add some ash+oak
next at 0630 I was surprised to find enough coals to keep it going with more chips and a small split of oak to get the day started

my senior cat is loving it and electricity can stay off

We had 43.3 this morning, the basement temp was 70, the living area temps were 70 & 71 this morning with the sleeper temp at 69.

Last night before I called it a night, I shut the fan off on the wood stove, the stove still had coals this morning but we didn't have a fire since we're close to 62 today.

It's 46.8 out tonight, the basement temp started out at 72, the living area temps are 72 & 74 with the sleeper at 70.

After supper I made a small fire so I would have coals for the overnight fire. The overnight fire has two splits of birch and another seven splits of pine.

32 going down to low 20's. Ash, 1 ironwood, couple small sticks of hickory, and a piece of mystery wood that I don't think I ever got a positive ID on. Super dark like walnut, but way heavier...

I put a big split of oak of main branch unsplitable form
you know, those parts of the tree where a large branch has grown and those pieces are pretty much unsplitable...they seem to last the longest, IME

well I put in that and a big split of siberian elm, and lo and behold, at 0700 there are still glowing coals and clean glass :) I must be doing something right

yahoo sez 37F right now, but the whole house is going out for the day, surprise dental appt for me, woohooo! Not

If it's still stormy like last night when we get back, I'll need to make another top down

Rainy and 50 today, house is at 68 currently and the stove is cold. I did have a fire on Tuesday night. No sun today, lows in the 30s tonight so I’m thinking a fire starting around 5pm to heat it up until the sun hits tomorrow.

The temp this morning was 38.3, the living area temps were 69 & 70, the basement I never checked with the sleeper temp at 69.

No fire this morning but the wife did run the propane fireplace this afternoon. I'll have a small fire after supper and then our overnight fire.

It's 34.7 tonight with a forecast low of 27. The basement temp is starting out at 72, the living area temps are 69 & 70 with the sleeper temp at 68.

The wood stove has six splits of ash an one split of ironwood for the overnight heat.

Reactions: Dieselhead
NOAA predicts spring weather in the PNW through the middle of next week: overnight lows in the low 40's dF, daytime highs in the low 60s.

Leaving the stove off. The NG is not very expensive to run at these temps.

Keeping warmer by continuing to split and stack next year's wood supply.

We had 26.4 this morning, the basement temp started out at 70, the living area temps were 67 & 69 with the sleeper at 67.

After two cups of coffee, I made a pine fire, the wife made another pine fire just before I came in from cutting around 2:30 p.m.

apple and ash right now
currently 52F real feel is 47F
yeah, just on the line...we wanna keep the elec off as much as poss

this morning was grey and wet, but is beautiful out right now

burned a bunch of chestnut with ash or apple for the evening

gonna let it die tonight and start anew tomorrow if req'd

yahoo says 42F with real feel at 34! maybe I best keep it going! nah, too much drama and complications today to keep it going...I'll probably change my mind after I post ;-P

Maybe a morning fire middle/late next week. After that, I might just have to be forced out of the game.

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3911.jpeg

I'm trying to clean up the wood pile by burning chunks. Some should be split, I do what I can but due to their shape it can be difficult. And, compared to typical lengths and seasoned split wood - the heat output seems less. Still, I'll burn what I can.

Head to my sister's and B.I.L.'s place for Easter. They have a nice Jotul stove.

We've been doing more of the same, pine during the day and some hardwood at night when needed. The cold we'll be moving back in with a possible 6 - 12 inches of snow towards the middle of the week.

I'm trying to clean up the wood pile by burning chunks. Some should be split, I do what I can but due to their shape it can be difficult. And, compared to typical lengths and seasoned split wood - the heat output seems less. Still, I'll burn what I can.

Head to my sister's and B.I.L.'s place for Easter. They have a nice Jotul stove.
handsaw!