What is it with steel stoves that they make a noise like a gunshot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
I was sitting listening to the sleet out side and all of a sudden my liberty made a noise that sounded like a gun going off and it scared the crap out of me. When a welded steel stove does this it usually means broken welds. Checked and found nothing. Shined a flash light in the stove where the secondary air channel is cracked and the crack is gone. Stove is cruising at 625. Anyone else have this happen to them besides BrowningBar? Its not the first time it has happened but hasn't happen since start of burning season last winter

I was sitting listening to the sleet out side and all of a sudden my liberty make a noise that sounds like a gun going off that scared the crap out of me. When a welded steel stove does this it usually means broken welds. Checked and found nothing. Shined a flash light in the stove where the secondary air channel is cracked and the crack is gone. Stove is cruising at 625. Anyone else have this happen to them besides BrowningBar? Its not the first time it has happened but hasn't happen since start of burning season last winter

Usually happens when the stove is made from recycled gun barrels...:)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well, either something is very wrong with your stove, or you've never heard how loud a gunshot fired indoors really is...
More seriously, it amazes me that these sounds are normal, something is moving fast to make that noise.

TE

Fire high powered rifle or a 12-gauge shotgun indoors, and you'll be amazed that you didn't blow out all your windows. Seriously, frighteningly, loud.

Mine has clinked pretty loud... enough that the dog jumped up and it got my hand reaching for the nightstand gun (kinda a reflex I guess)

Maybe gunshot wasn't the right word to use, but I know it was LOUD and I can't figure out what it was??

Mine has clinked pretty loud... enough that the dog jumped up and it got my hand reaching for the nightstand gun (kinda a reflex I guess)

Fire high powered rifle or a 12-gauge shotgun indoors, and you'll be amazed that you didn't blow out all your windows. Seriously, frighteningly, loud.

Note to self - don't ever go sneaking around Nate or Joful's place...:oops:

Maybe gunshot wasn't the right word to use, but I know it was LOUD and I can't figure out what it was??

Don't worry about it - it was just a weld breaking.;lol

Plate steel is for snow plows - cast is for wood stoves.;lol!!! **ducks and runs**

It sounds like something is moving when heated. When the stove is not burning, clean it out well. Then take a very bright light and inspect the secondary manifold, front to back for cracks. You can also watch the secondary manifold closely while the stove is burning. Look for jets of flame coming from spots other than the secondary tube holes.

Yeah, sounds like the crack in the secondary air channel heated and popped back into the fracture line, making the noise.

You can also watch the secondary manifold closely while the stove is burning. Look for jets of flame coming from spots other than the secondary tube holes.​
Did that yesterday while the stove was burning and nothing. I got to thinking the noise came from the back of the stove so maybe it was the bypass damper expanding and being pushed up from the heat and as the stove cooled it slammed back down on the brick and secondary manifold

Yeah, sounds like the crack in the secondary air channel heated and popped back into the fracture line, making the noise.
That very well could have been it to because 3 seconds after the noise I checked the crack and it was gone and not the stove is cold and the crack is back but its only a hair line crack could it really make that much noise popping back into place? Its still the same size crack as before, hasn't gotten any larger.

Have had steel on a ship baking in the sun in the Summer heat flex critical temp release energy.

Sounded like a car fell from the sky and ricochetted off the roof. First time I heard one I ran outside fully expecting to find something huge in a heap.

Status
Not open for further replies.