What is your favorite/best wood splitting MAUL ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
At 70 with a bad ticker, I prefer the one with a gas engine on it

Reactions: Smokepole
I love the Sotz and have used one for over 30 years. Great maul but it is heavy as Hell. The Fiskars is about 4 pounds lighter and has a great blade design, plus, fiberglass handle is lighter than solid steel. You can get better maul speed with the Fiskars.
I still have my beloved Sotz, but, I don't use it much any more.

I have a sentimental attachment to the Sotz. After reading so many reviews on this forum, four years ago I broke down and bought a Fiskars. I hate to say it but the Fiskars is better than the Monster Maul.
I certainly don't disagree. My point is I rediscovered my old Monster Maul this spring since my log splitter is out of commission. Eventually, I will get a Fiskars but until then the orange monster still works.

The Sotz works great! It is a great maul. The problem is the Sotz is so heavy. So you can get the same result with less work with the Fiskars.