What is your favorite/best wood splitting MAUL ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have the X27, a sharp 6 lb maul and an 8 lber.. I usually grab the 6. Have both an old Japanese Weco maul and a newer Council Tool one, they work about the same.

8 lb maul with fiberglass handle that I got at Tractor supply for $20 . Replaced similar unit that I used for 20 years until the epoxy holding the head to the handle fell apart and the head fell off.

20 years ago it was a 16# Sotz, now it's a Fiskars X27. Anyone can run anything down, but when you can hit a 16" round of oak or maple once and split it cleanly, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

Reactions: mrd1995
I got 2, my favorite is my lowes splitting axe, fiberglass handle with traditional axe head that has welded wings on it, this axe busts through pieces like a hot knife through butter, the other is a the x27, its a great woods axe, very light weight

I split all wood by hand. I go X-27 - 66% : Stihl (Ochsenkopf) - 33%

* While not strictly a maul (it's light as an axe, but splits like a maul), and as much as it pains some to admit (me too), the X-27 is very effective at splitting wood. It's mass produced, it's become the popular, "vanilla" choice for splitting that doesn't have the old world, handcrafted charm.
It is light, splits effectively, is comfortable (no bad handle vibrations), durable construction, with an ingenious safety guard. It's a good value.
* For stringier species, and gnarlier wood I like the Stihl/ Ochsenkopf - http://www.ochsenkopf.com/en/products/axes/splitting-hammers/
With a 3 kg (6.6 lb) head it's not quite as nimble in the hands. It's has the edge over the X-27 for tougher splits.
It's very nice construction: well designed, polished hardened steel head with hook, a steel collar, and a comfortable hickory handle.
The X-27 tends to explode through wood, while the Ochsenkopf with it's heavier head tends to plow through a split.

rps9Jvrl.jpg

Monster Maul

I have little use for any splitting tool that costs more than my $20 8 lb maul.

Why? because I have a smooth,accurate , powerful stroke. I don't need a splitting block, I just stand them up and hit'em. My back and shoulders actually feel better after a session.

No superiority here, but after 500,000 swings one gets pretty good.

IMHO, a Fiskars replaces practice with sharpness and lightweight for control and accuracy. If I were starting out , a Fiskars may be useful but at this point just bling for me

I use Fiskars x27 and the maul, I split everything by hand. It is probably most efficient to use the maul to split all the large rounds into smaller, but still large pieces, then go back through it with the x27. I'd rather swing a maul once than an axe 3-4-5 times.

My experience is that the fiberglass can take way more abuse than wood handles.

Ash, cherry and straight grained oak or maple = Fiskars X27
Everything else = 8lb maul or splitter

They still make those things? 10lb or better if I remember correctly and hard on the hands and back..:)
I almost got one of those to supplement my old 8# maul--now my shoulders and back start hurting just by looking at one! I went to a local store with the intention of picking one up but they were out of stock. Boy am I glad! I was debating whether to order one but started doing some research on this site and went the Fiskars route instead. Never looked back.

EDIT: It was the Ironton 12# maul I was looking at...I guess the monster maul isn't made anymore.

Last edited:
I almost got one of those to supplement my old 8# maul--now my shoulders and back start hurting just by looking at one! I went to a local store with the intention of picking one up but they were out of stock. Boy am I glad! I was debating whether to order one but started doing some research on this site and went the Fiskars route instead. Never looked back.

EDIT: It was the Ironton 12# maul I was looking at...I guess the monster maul isn't made anymore.
One word sums up the monster maul....brutal.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Old thread but I just gotta say I'm still using my Monster Maul I've had for 30 years. I have a older log splitter but the motor seized up. Went back to the Monster and so far about three cords split and stacked this spring. The Monster rarely lets me down. Will work on the splitter this summer and get it ready for next year.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I got my Monster Maul in 1983. Hard to beat. The company went broke about 1988. You can still find a Monster Maul on craigslist, it will cost you about $125.

I use the iso core on my easy splitting stuff. If it can't get it it's the monster maul. If the monster maul doesn't get it done I chuck it into the hydraulic wood splitter pile. No offense to anyone but a axe has no quarter at my house.

Now, take a look at this jewel! Ebay has the Monster Maul and the Sotz cant hook for $150.

I loved the Sotz company back in the eighties. I bought their wood stove kit and made a stove from a 55 gallon drum. And split all my wood with the Monster Maul.
P2110003.jpg

It is weird. On that ebay ad, the seller calls it a "Sotz" log lifter, which it is. A type of cant hook.
And then he calls it a "Brave Industry Monster Maul." I don't know what he is talking about I bought all kinds of stuff from Sotz in the eighties and that is a Sotz Monster Maul. I never heard of "Brave Industry."

I am newer to the forum but have been helping my parents and grandparents bring in wood for years. I am on the Fiskars x27 train. I get better speed and speed is energy. Our new property has a lot of dead or dying small Dia. Ash and Cherry I have actually been using a Boys Axe a awful lot I honestly don't know the weight offhand. This never wood have worked when I was younger my Parents and Grandparents had much larger more gnarly timber.

It is weird. On that ebay ad, the seller calls it a "Sotz" log lifter, which it is. A type of cant hook.
And then he calls it a "Brave Industry Monster Maul." I don't know what he is talking about I bought all kinds of stuff from Sotz in the eighties and that is a Sotz Monster Maul. I never heard of "Brave Industry."

Yea I saw that too. The only "brave" I know of is the brave hydraulic wood splitters.

My favorite is the Fiskars X27 - would never actually own one, I just love all the stories it generates.

Rumor has it, you can only swing it with one arm, and you need to choke about half way up on the handle, or you risk splitting not only the wood, but the very atoms it's made of! ;)

You need a variety of weights and head angles so you can pick the most efficient one for the job..sufficient splitting force applied to the wood with the least amount of effort expended. Head speed pays the biggest dividends. Sure, the Monstah will bust through about anything, but I'm no longer willing to expend the effort required to swing it. I'm trying to preserve my body at this point; I like splitting, but I've refined my technique so as to reduce strain and shock. I let the power splitter handle the tough stuff.

I have a sentimental attachment to the Sotz. After reading so many reviews on this forum, four years ago I broke down and bought a Fiskars. I hate to say it but the Fiskars is better than the Monster Maul.

Everyone is going to have a favorite. Some like one for a certain reason where others will not. I like the Wilton bash maul but it is heavier but it is unbreakable. As long as it splits wood it is good in my book. Some just last longer than others.

I hate to say it but the Fiskars is better than the Monster Maul.
Yeah, I end up going to the Fiskars (X-27) quite a bit. It's nice and light like the ax, for good speed, but has a little more wedge when you need that to pop the wood apart. All depends what you're splitting; Straight White Ash..a dirty look will pop it in half. ;)