What is your favorite wood gathering tool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lfunk11

Jan 8, 2010
Morgantown, WV
Other than chainsaws and power equipment. I bought a hookaroon (I thought it was called a pickaroon?) this year. I have no idea why I never got one earlier. I literally get a little frantic when I don't have it nearby when moving wood around or reaching into the truck to bring rounds closer. What other fun tools am I missing out on?

Reactions: TreePointer
Mingo marker. Every round is 16” long.

peavey for Rolling logs after cutting 2/3 through. As I get older, rolling the 3-4’ diameter 14’ long logs is more likely to hurt me so use the roller bar!

Never used a hookeroon.

A couple years ago I bought a hand truck. I will often cut logs to length in an area where I can't get my pickup to like somebody's backyard. I also work alone most of the time. The hand truck lets me get them out without carrying them, lifting them into a wheelbarrow or bent over rolling them.
This year I bought some ramps from Harbor Freight. When the rounds are too heavy to lift into the truck, just roll em on up. The wife bought me a cant hook for my birthday. Shall be a lot easier to roll the logs for bucking.

Reactions: lfunk11
Tractor and Timberjack I have found the most useful. Wife drags em out of the forest to clearing I can burn the branches. Timberjack so I don't get dirt in the chainsaw. We had Cat Choker made up at place that services logging industry. https://www.westechrigging.com/wire-rope-logging-chokers.html

Yeah, I think I need a timberjack. I sort of knew about this but I always just rolled the logs by hand. This desk jockey's back is worth the price of a timberjack.

My gas powered capstan winch and snatch blocks is bit of a PITA to set up but its real handy for getting logs moved to my landing. Given the terrain its either that or cutting the logs into rounds and throwing them.

Pickeroon by far is my favorite firewood hand tool.

If you need to have measured firewood lengths, the Firewood-Buddy is another favorite. It's a fiberglass rod with a magnet on one end.

Last edited:
Mingo marker. Every round is 16” long.

peavey for Rolling logs after cutting 2/3 through. As I get older, rolling the 3-4’ diameter 14’ long logs is more likely to hurt me so use the roller bar!

Never used a hookeroon.
Is that Mingo Marker ok to use with a Cat?

Bobcat 463! Bring some chains and a strap if something needs drug out, carry the rounds to a more convenient splitting place, push over dead standing trees, park wherever you want...

I assume you mean an "inanimate tool" and not a wood gatherer like my wife.... Because I would prefer my wife... :)

In the inanimate tool "only" case... a tractor (boring .. try to make love to a tractor) .

I think my dump bed trailer is going to be my favorite for me. It’s a bigger gooseneck model and I’ve used it on some tree jobs. Not sure how much I can put unit but it’s way better than the old pickup with side racks

I like my pulp hook. Kind of like a hookaroon but different ergonomics. Handle is perpendicular to the plane of the hook. Use mostly to move anything that I would have gripped with my hand, ie splits and small logs . I can throw pieces pretty far without much effort.

Forester New England Pulp Hook

Hookaroon/pickaroon is my favorite. I hate bending over to pick up firewood.

This kid is the best thing I could ever bring with me..Its not the same with out him.. 20200411_151131.jpg20200411_150400.jpg20200301_111703.jpg20200201_095849.jpg20200120_123459.jpg

Back in the 80s, we had a matched set of heavy horses
They skidded out our logs. Left no mess just walking trails
Of course, that was before ATVs and the such were used in the bush

Reactions: D8Chumley
Back in the 80s, we had a matched set of heavy horses
They skidded out our logs. Left no mess just walking trails
Of course, that was before ATVs and the such were used in the bush
that’s really cool. An old guy told me they used a big vine maple for the tree to keep the pull even

Some tall side boards are pretty handy, for those who partake in the "scrounger lifestyle."
Is that an old Jeep? If so, not a better fit when out in the woods.

ATV and trailer . . . allows me to get in close to the downed wood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I just drag em out with cable. Lots easier than with bucket. Tried this years ago. We can get 4-5 trees at a time dragging em. Whole 75 ft of tree. We leave branches on so it does not tear up things on the ground so much. Besides if that chain breaks or gives way your looking at getting hurt or damage equipment. Cable with Logging Choker is easier, faster and lots safer. https://www.westechrigging.com/wire-rope-logging-chokers.html

Attachments

• 20200111_091300_resized.jpg
    20200111_091300_resized.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 198