What kind of berry is this ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

We have a bunch of berries growing in our back yard and I don't know what they are. Do any of you know ? They grow on a bush or vine ( hard to tell with all the foliage around ) it has spikes all over it like a rose bush. They look way to small to be a black berry but I could be wrong. Sorry about the poor picture quality my phone camera won't focus on the berries.

Pete

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374368077.711183.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374368077.711183.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 102
They look like dewberries, a native North American low growing trailing type with small black berries. Dewberries are technically different than blackberries, but they are the same genus. You can Google dewberries and read about them.

They could also be black raspberries, hard to tell in the fuzzy photo. You can google black raspberry photos, as they are distinct. Oregon grows the vast majority of commercial black raspberries. I do not like the taste of black raspberries myself. I grow red everbearing types of raspberries and Marion berries here. I also have Himalayan and European cutleaf blackberries, dewberries, salmonberries, and thimbleberries popping up as weeds here all the time.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
i dunno exactly what it is, but, it is widely accepted that any and all "clustered berries" like raspberry/blackberry (and their many cousins) are edible. if you every find yourself in a situation, know that it is safe to eat...unless you have allergies to them.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Looks like what we call black caps. Smaller than blackberries. Makes great jelly. Like to grow where wood has decayed. My bush grows where the woodshed used to be (and is again). Picked some this morning.

Yup. Black raspberries or black caps. If you want more Pete, come on over.

Reactions: ScotO
Yup. Black raspberries or black caps. If you want more Pete, come on over.

You bet I do Dennis I tried one today they are really good ! Not many left due to birds though. I have black bird poo all over my nice new fence and wood pile lol.

Pete

Reactions: ScotO
Those make my favorite pie on the planet. Black Raspberry pie. I have three cups in the freezer waiting for just that application.==c

Status
Not open for further replies.