What kind of stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FrozenChosen

Oct 30, 2019
New Mexico
I’m very new to this. My landlord told me if works and to just put wood in it and that I am over thinking things. I don’t have a damper I don’t think? I’m assuming the front knobs that screw in and unscrew are air flow? There is also a door and one knob on the side. I’ve been reading and watching YouTube videos about different techniques of putting wood in stoves like this to make fires that last but mine looks a bit different than most of what I have seen. Any help is appreciated.
C8C78EBB-08D1-4C14-9954-B08094A9A438.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing is to ask the landlord if the flue/chimney is clean or has been inspected lately. I've used stoves without dampers, but the wood will burn faster. You're correct about the knobs; they are for airflow. The side door is if you decide to use it but you can always just use the front.

If you haven't done it yet, inspect the stove for condition. the easiest way is to put a bright light in it and look for light coming through cracks, etc. This will also tell you if your door is tight. Your land lord is half right: some if it is common sense and experience. It's the other half that I'd worry about: the fact that you're new to wood stoves and he's dismissing your concerns. Curt

It's a parlor stove. Looks like it has been run hot and hard.