What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you posted real pics . . . waste of effort bringin that home

Free BTU's a waste??? Never! Burn it!

Heaterhunter said:
Now that you posted real pics . . . waste of effort bringin that home

Free BTU's a waste??? Never! Burn it!
Free BTU's? What is your time worth?

tfdchief said:
With those pictures I would have to say it is probably one of the species of the genus Populus. With your location it is probably not any I am used to seeing but the bark sure looks like Populus IMO.

I agree - Cottonwood, Balm-of-Gilead, Aspen, or maybe one of the hybrid poplars. I think it is worthwhile firewood; not the best, but it'll burn hot and fast when you want quick heat.

Aspen will get my hydronic up to 180 °F . . . if it's >45 °F outside ambient air temp :shut:

More BTU's in cardboard boxes . . .

It all depends on what is available to u, why waste time on crap wood if you have better wood to get.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Now that you posted real pics . . . waste of effort bringin that home :-/

Free wood delivered to my driveway in an area dominated by pine forests is a waste? Interesting...

Had me fooled by the first pics I said blk. walnut. Not a clue now but it does not look like the poplar I'm used to dealing with(tulip).
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.