What paint to use on the wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DD33

Jan 25, 2011
N. Ireland
Hi everyone

I am almost ready to begin installing my stanley tara multi fuel stove.
It is going to be freestanding against a wall. The wall is made with
concrete blocks and them plastered and painted with emulsion.

My question is am I likely to run into problems with either the emulsion
paint or the plaster cracking behind the stove and if so what kind of
things can I do to avoid this.

Thank you
Darren

You can check your paint with a heat gun and an IR thermometer. The gun I have is intended for stripping paint, so you have to go slow and check the surface temperature often. If your stove specs say the safe clearance distance yields 200F wall temperatures, then you can see if your paint will take 200F heat. It should, but who knows. I don't know if they allow heat shields in your jurisdiction, but that may be a solution. Good luck. Jim

If your stove is installed with clearances to combustibles distances, I don't think paint choice should matter.

Did you install it yourself? What does the manual say?

My stove specs at 3 inches from the back wall, I put it at 6 inches. The wallcovering is veneer paneling.

Status
Not open for further replies.